Vodafone 3G

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:35 pm

hi bofh, see my post I did yesterday, above. 9.48pm (8.48om uk time). I downloaded skype and used it then. i heard my dad perfectly but he said i kept breaking up, every few seconds, but we were able to carry on a conversation ok.

karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

bofh
Tourist

Postby bofh » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:30 pm

Thanks Karen, that's great news that you're able to use Skype using Movistar 3G - despite their T&Cs stating that VOIP is not allowed (although I appreciate that strictly speaking Skype uses it's own protocol as oppose to SIP, but it's more or less the same thing - H323).

So, anyone out there with either Movistar 3G or Vodafone 3G who fancies a drive to Aguadulce (Sevilla) in order to test for a 3G signal ?

Fuel costs covered and tea and buns provided. :)

filmfan

Vodafone 3G

Postby filmfan » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:45 am

I have been using Voda Connect Box for nearly a year now, based on the hills near Nerja. I have explored the area around me and found that I can get the full broadband level near the house but not inside. I have mounted the connect box on a 15 foot cane outside the window with a USB extension and that brings in the signal, usually. But it goes in phases, sometimes only GPRS for days. There seems no logical reason to this and it drives me mad because the system really is excellent. Question. does the new software work on XP or is it only for Vista? Couldn't find it on Vodafone website. SMS is charged same as mobile! If you have a Mi Pais with vodafone use your mob for texts to home, half price. Don't use your connect box out of Spain unless you are seriously rich or desparate. Chris

WCAUSE
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby WCAUSE » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:16 am

Hi folks..just a humble tourist, moveing out in March, I have always sat in a very nice bar in Puerto Banus, plugged in my mains lead for my laptop, and "wi-fi" d away to my hearts content..am I naieve?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Vodafone 3G

Postby gerryh » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:41 pm

[quote="filmfan"] Question. does the new software work on XP or is it only for Vista?
The latest versionworks OK on XP
Couldn't find it on Vodafone website.
I couldn't findit on the Spanish Vodafone website but found it on the UK Vodafone website.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:21 am

Yes filmfan - the download software for vodafone works with eithere XP or Vista

If you go to the vodafone.es web site then in the small black writing there is Accesso a Internet - then Modem USB - in the topleft hand corner - then track down to near the bottom of the page - Its there.

This url should take you straight to the page you need
http://www.vodafone.es/particulares/internet/modem/

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:40 am

Hello

Is it possible to buy a PAYG 3G card, and is it feasible in terms of cost for, say, a week or so?

Thanks.

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:54 am

I'm thinking about buying a Vodafone 3G PAYG modem for using in the UK, which costs £25 a month for 3gb (and I think £59 for the modem, free on contract). Seems reasonable except I don't really know what 3gb means in terms of hours on the internet and what you can actually do, ie emails, voip phone, spending too much time on forums :?

Also does anyone know if I could use it here in Spain or is it like the phones and tied to the UK network only, or pay an extortionate roaming rate?

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:07 pm

My UK fixed provider is pipex. They have a little question and anser session on their site which determines how many Gigs you'll use. As long as you don't download music or video you'll be surprised how little you need.

So visit the pipex site and try the little quiz.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:10 pm

Cassandra wrote:I'm thinking about buying a Vodafone 3G PAYG modem for using in the UK, which costs £25 a month for 3gb (and I think £59 for the modem, free on contract). Seems reasonable except I don't really know what 3gb means in terms of hours on the internet and what you can actually do, ie emails, voip phone, spending too much time on forums :?

Also does anyone know if I could use it here in Spain or is it like the phones and tied to the UK network only, or pay an extortionate roaming rate?
Unless you downloads lots of music and films 3Gb a month should be more than enough.
Have a look at :-
http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatch/P ... tFlag=true

This will give you details of roaming charges.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:26 pm

Thanks for that guys, looks like 3GB will be more than enough as long as I don't develop an addiction to youtube :lol: but international roaming is definitely a no no, £5.00 per day :shock:

Of course I could by two modems, one UK and one Spanish, just have to balance the cost compared to continuing to pay Telefonica when I'm in UK so not using my home broadband connection.

axarquian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Vodafone 3G

Postby axarquian » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:02 pm

Hi Cassandra,

I have a similar problem, and, in the U.K. I use '3' pay as u go 3G broadband. The advantage is that I only buy 1gb or 3gb worth of down/upload whenever I need it (when in the U.K). 1gb is £10 and 3gb is £15, much less expensive than other operators...... worth considering...... if you can get a '3' signal in your area. P.S. I believe that '3' do not have roaming charges when in certain countries (e.g. Italy) unfortunately this does not apply to Spain :(

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:03 pm

It was '3' I was looking at, through carphone warehouse, and the cost was £25 per month or 30 days (can't remember which) for 3GB on PAYG though I think there were cheaper options on contract. Looks like it would be worth shopping around!

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:12 pm

ashtondav wrote:Hello

Is it possible to buy a PAYG 3G card, and is it feasible in terms of cost for, say, a week or so?

Movistar PAYG 3G is €1.16 per 10MB with a minimum usage of €9 a month.

I have noticed you can spend hours on forums, as, i imagine, because it is mainly words, not pictures, it hardly uses and MB´s. If you are browsing eBay for example, the usage can soon go up because of the photos.

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie