Vodafone 3G

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
bofh
Tourist

Vodafone 3G

Postby bofh » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:31 pm

I'm looking to change my extortionately priced satellite broadband and change to a 3G data connection. No other wi-fi solutions are currently available in my part of the world.

Movistar 3G are a no-no because the T&Cs state that VOIP can't be used and I use internet telephony for everything (skype, messenger, virtual telephone number for my business etc)

Orange 3G looks good, but when you go over your 1Gb limit the after-cost per Mb could end up being very expensive.

So, this leaves me with Vodafone 3G, but I don't know if I have coverage in my campo location (Vodafone don't use coverage maps, they have a very basic list of towns which are covered - pretty useless).

Anyone out there have a Vodafone 3G contract with USB modem who fancies a trip to Sevilla province in order to try out a test connection ? - fuel costs will be paid, along with endless supply of tea and cake where required.

Please PM me if you think you might be able to help with this one.

Many thanks

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:37 am

I use a Vodafone 3G USB modem. Speed is quite good. Costs €59 +IVA a month for 5 Gb.
You need someone with a Vodafone 3G mobile phone, doesn't have to be a modem, to check you can receive the 3G service where you live.
When I first used my modem I could only get a GPRS signal, slow speed, then one day I found the coverage had been extended and I could receive a 3G connection.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:40 am

Our daughter uses the Vodafone 3G in her new job and it seems ok

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:15 pm

gerryh wrote:When I first used my modem I could only get a GPRS signal, slow speed, then one day I found the coverage had been extended and I could receive a 3G connection.
Gerry
Oh, I live in hope!! i have movistar and it picks up GPRS. Once for about 3mins it picked up 3G!! The difference was amazing!!!!
Any tips on how to find the 3G coverage?

Cheers

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:37 pm

Hi Karen
With my Vodafone mobile phone it displays a G symbol if I am only receiving GPRS, a 3G symbol if I am receiving 3G.
My USB modem, also with Vadafone, displays a green light if connected via GPRS, a cyan light if connected via HSPDA and a blue light if connected via 3G.
Don't know if Movistar does similar.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:16 pm

Hi Gerry, Yes!!! My Movistar modem has a green light on!!! I wondered why on that one, very brief, very welcome, occasion, the light turned blue!!! i didnt stop to wonder too long though, i started "internetting" to my hearts content....for the few minutes until GPRS kicked in again. :-(

I was using my laptop in a different area out of doors though. Do you think that would have made a difference? I wish it would pick it up again. when i connect i click on the GPRS/3G button, and it always goes to GPRS !!

Cheers

Karen

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:24 pm

Hi Karen
Using your laptop, with USB modem, outside can make a huge difference to the signal you receive. Haven't you noticed when using a mobile phone sometimes the reception breaks up depending on where in the house/ garden/ road tunnel/ inside a supermarket etc you are?
Of course you could find a bar, cafe, beach etc where you can get good reception of the 3G signal :D

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:37 pm

Hi Gerry, yes very true. As it is so lovely outside today (again), i´m gonna go take it to different parts of the garden to see if i can pick up the 3G reception.
One question, do i need to keep logging on and off or will it change from GPRS to 3G when it finds it?
Many thanks
Karen

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:44 pm

Hi Karen
Assuming you have your USB modem set up to use a 3G signal if it is available, then you don't have to do anything. It will automatically connect to the fastest available and keeps scanning for the fastest available.
So you could connect at GPRS and whilst connected automatically change to 3G and vice versa of course.
You will see the light on your modem change colour with the change in connection speed.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:47 pm

If you have installed the software that comes insde the USB dongle - in settings you can select....

HSDPA Prefered;
HSDPA always;
GPRS Prefered :
GPRS always -

If you switch to HSDPA Prefered; Setting It will do what it sez on the can. It will pick up the HSDPA signal over the Slower GPRS that may be the stronger signal ........
If it cant it will then switch over to GPRS.

Win Win ....

I think the default is GPRS Always

The other thing is to download the latest conection from the Vodafone website - version 9.1.2.5535 (and bin the USB installed program)
This give you loads more info about usage and average download speed in real time etc - and you can automate your conection
This automatically conects to the fastest conection available - if it drops, it then reconects to the slower without a loss of conection.

Its a straight forward download and install and its in English and you can run both programs side by side till your confident to kill the USB version.
BUT ... you do have to close the USB version from the tool bar before using the download version

Bythe way - when I had my problems with 3G coverage - i was told that i could get it at CADIZ JEREZ and SAVILLA - but it depends verymuch how far from the primary transmitter you are

I can only get HSDPA or GPRS and I'm only 13.4Km from the main transmitter

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:25 pm

Hi Gerry/Martin, Many thanks for this info.

I am looking at my choices at present and the list is:

Automatica

UMTS/3G Only

UMTS/3G preferred (this one has the tick)

UMTS/2.5G Only

UMTS/2.5G preferred

Is this correct/best?

Also, do they have similar for Movistar, like the download for the latest connection for Vodafone?

Now gonna go wander with my laptop and keep an eye on the green light..... many thanks

karen

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:44 pm

Hi Karen
I have a different version of the software so I don't get the options you have listed, but the option you have ticked seems OK to me.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:27 pm

well, I put a tick in the UMTS/3G Only box, then wandered around the garden for 20 minutes. i picked up 3G!!!

I lost it by the time i got indoors again, but i have now logged on, put the tick in that box again.....and got 3G. It feels like Broadband to me!!! I dont know how long it will stay - it is on 2/5 strength, but thank you so much. all these months i have been making do with GPRS when i can get 3G.
All your help has been much appreciated. A very big thank you from a very happy Karen x :lol:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:27 pm

Hi Karen
I'd tick the automatic option, and let it connect at the fastest available.
The problem of ticking 3G only is that if you aren't receiving 3G then you won't connect.
I have automatic ticked and usually I recieve 3G, at the moment I am receiving HSPDA, sometimes only GPRS, but since automatic is ticked, it doesn't matter, I am still comnnected.
As I've been typing this I notice I've gone back to 3G connection. :D
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:48 pm

Hi Gerry!! many thanks!! You have been such a big help. Normally I use 10MB an hour. I have now been on 2hr 20min and used 61MB. That is fantastic!! I have also downloaded SKYPE and telephoned my dad in the UK. It is wonderful!! Like a brand new package!! I only have one strength signal but that doesnt seem to matter. 3G on 1 bar is loads faster than GPRS on 4 bars!!

I get 1GB a month for €34 and usually only use about 200MB as it is so slow!!

OOoh, if you were living in my neck of the woods, i´d take you out for a nice big jarra (or 3) :wink:

Thank you once again. My (internet) life has been changed!!! (and certainly my fingers ache from all these fast pages)!!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:35 pm

Hi Karen
Be aware now that you have discovered the delights of a faster connection you might exceed your 1Gb limit. you will be automatically given, and charged €20 for a further Gb. However you can change your contract, I've just changefd mine, to a 5Gb a month limit for €59 a month.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:53 pm

Hi Gerry. Thanks for that info. I think my monthly 1GB contract is 18th - 17th of the month. I figured I´ve used about 100MB since yesterday. So have set my "movistar desktop" to tell me when i´ve reached 900MB. (I am right in thinking there´s 1000MB to a gig, arent I?)
Thanks
Karen

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:44 am

Hi Karen
1024Mb = 1Gb :P

I you really want to know why it is 1024 and not 1000 then read up on binary arithmetic.

On your Movistar desktop do you have a SMS button?
There is with the Vodafone desktop. When I reach 80% of my limit Vodafone sends me a SMS message. When I reach 100% thy send me another message to say I am being charged €20 for a further 1Gb.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:08 pm

Hi Gerry. yes there is a "mensajes" envelope. i imagine that is a similar thing. i have just looked in it-there are 2 messages from oct in there (junk mail) and nothing else. have been nowhere near the 1GB with GPRS so will be interesting to see if they send me a mesage when near.

Oooh, i had butterflies this afternoon, before logging in, wondering if i cold still get 3G without going into garden..............and i can, yayyyy!!!I´m one very happy little chickie!! :lol:

Karen

bofh
Tourist

Postby bofh » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:07 pm

Gerry/Karen

As you are Vodafone and Movistar users respectively, have you tried using any VOIP activity such as Skype or Messenger (calls or video calls) or Voipstunt, Voipcheap etc through your PC ?

Ta