Does Skype work with dial-up?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Zofia
Resident

Does Skype work with dial-up?

Postby Zofia » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:31 pm

I've just got Skype here in the UK, and hope to use it for work purposes when we move to Spain next month. We are in the campo and don't have adsl, just dial-up. Will it still work? Will it also work if I get a Skype number as in SkypeIn?

Can anyone answer?

TIA

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:54 pm

Hi Zofia
Personally I would doubt it. Dial up would be too slow. The speach would break up.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:55 pm

From SKYPE website, system requirements: Internet connection (broadband is best, GPRS is not supported for voice calls, and results may vary on a satellite connection).
I would think with dial-up, it may be a bit shaky, but since it's free to download and try it, give it a go.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:49 pm

It didn't work on mine when I had dial up :(
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

greentrees3
Tourist

Postby greentrees3 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:44 pm

I was using Instanet in the centre of Seville for a couple of months- probably doesn't have coverage at all in the country- but just so you know, and Skype didn't even work with that which is supposedly broadband of 1Mb. Dial-up even less likely is my guess. I don't know anything about SkypeIn..

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:52 am

Skype doesn't work that well on Spanish "broadband".
We have 1 MB which should be enough, but the quality is abysmal, often breaking up badly!
Before anyone asks, yes, my firewall and router are both properly configured to open and or forward the required ports for Skype!
Perhaps it's our ADSL :( . If it wasn't for the hassle involved in changing providers here, i.e ceasing current contract and then applying for one with the new provider, I would have upgraded to the nominal 3 MB. which is available where I live.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:03 pm

The speed of your connection is almost certainly less than 1Mb in reality. The advertised speed is (I think) just the maximum possible with your server, but actual speed varies according to various factors, such as distance from the server. I have a 3Mb Telefonica connection, but currently it's actually around about 2mb.
There are sites where you can test your speed, for example here: http://www.speedtest.net/
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

poppylou
Andalucia.com Amigo

Skype on dial up

Postby poppylou » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:54 pm

I used Skype on my old dial up Telefonica service, and it worked, but not very well - a bit of an echo and the quality of the line was not brilliant.

On my wi-fi/satellite (whatever it is!) broadband system, it works wonderfully, just like normal landline quality.

Best wishes

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:31 pm

Skype really does need a fast connection. I have used it for some time and it worked OK on the original Telefonica 512k service.

The quality is better now that I have 3mb but I think that may well be down to improvements in Skype itself.

As for ADSL speed, my Telefonica 3mb connection always runs at 2.6mb or slightly higher. Due to various overheads that is about as fast as it gets.

Sid