If cancel my direct debit to sky will I still have freeview?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Emma-Louise
Andalucia.com Amigo

If cancel my direct debit to sky will I still have freeview?

Postby Emma-Louise » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:01 pm

Hi all,

Am totally skint and my sky tv with my beloved sky sports for my rugby, must be surrendered!

I pay monthly via direct debit from my Uk bank account, have gone throught internet banking and it seems that I can just click on cancel and from then on sky will not recieve any money from me................

My worry is, will I be left with freeview or will I lose everything?

Can anybody help me?

Em

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:07 pm

yes, a friend in similar circumstances stopped paying 6 months ago and still has BBC and ITV and Sky news

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:31 pm

You get those anyway without any card at all. However, you should still get Channel 4 and Five. These are now the only free to view channels for which you need a card. Also I think you should also cancel with BSkyB not just stop your direct debit.

.Griff.
Resident

Postby .Griff. » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:34 pm

You'll get the FTA channels and the "Freesat" channels.

Obviously I'd ensure you're not still within a contract period before you cancel your DD otherwise Sky won't take kindly to it.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:44 pm

If you are stopping paying it is quite important to tell them that you no longer wish to suscribe, as previously stated ,or they will keep chasing you if you don't pay.
And if you are still in a term agreement with them, they will definately be difficult, about canceling..You shouldn't have any problems receiving the free view programmes on your existing box
A friend of mine has just had problems with them, after doing the same as you are thinking.

I cancelled my subscription 5 years ago, it wasn't worth the money, anymore..

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:52 pm

If you want to keep your options open, just ask Sky to suspend your account.

Tell them you are going away for 6 months or more and they will be happy to keep the account open and will stop taking money after 30 days. You will need to have had an account for 12 months as this is the normal contract minimum term.

One phonecall in the future will reactivate your account with whatever channels you want. You could even ask for Sky Sports for just one month if there was something important you wanted to see. They will just charge you for the one month.

Sid

Emma-Louise
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Emma-Louise » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:02 pm

thankyou so much for your replies

I have had the sky for years, so am definately beyond the 12month contract period............however, a bloke over here set it up for me using my uk bank account.................so I have no idea what address my system is under etc..................

what should I do?

I cannot phone sky for obvious reasons, so shall I just cancel the dd?

Em

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:15 pm

It sounds as though you are contracted with a third party supplier and have no direct link to Sky. If the installer is still around perhaps you should try contacting him.

When you get your bank statement to whom does it show that you are paying the subscription?

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:06 pm

Emma-Louise wrote: I cannot phone sky for obvious reasons, so shall I just cancel the dd?
Em
dont worry about calling from Spain to suspend your account I have never once blocked my number in 20 years living outside the UK but if you are worried dial 067 first and block your number

Emma-Louise
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Emma-Louise » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:15 pm

It was so long ago, the guy who installed it, is not around anymore......

On my statement it says Sky, so at least I know that I am not paying a third party.........

If I rang Sky, I wouldn't have a clue what to tell them.......they would what to know what address the sky is registered under!

Thanks again for all your help

Em

Emma-Louise
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Emma-Louise » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:18 pm

hi guys,

me again! I still don't know if it will be ok to simply cancel my dd with the bank?

Em

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:21 pm

you have to give sky 1 months notice. If u just stop the dd they will come looking for the 1 month payment.

could you phone them to give the notice and give them ur account number. (is there a reference on the bank statement? or ask the bank for details of the payment reference). If sky asks for an address, tell them you have moved so many times in the last few years that you don't know what address the account is in.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:27 pm

It all depends on whether you were contracted directly with Sky or through a third party. If you were contracted with Sky and simply cancel the direct debit they will pursue you for what they see as a debt.

I would be inclined to ring them and say you want to cancel the card. Even if they catch on that you are calling from Spain it won't matter too much because all they can do is cancel your card and this is what you want to do anyway. Put 067 in front of the number if using a landline and #31# if you are using a mobile then they won't be able to see where you are calling from.

Alternatively write a letter to them at Sky Subscriber Services Limited, PO Box 43, Livingston, West Lothian, EH54 7DD, tell them that you want to cancel your subscription and that you are going to cancel your direct debit.

The only detail you need to give is the viewing card number not even your name and address if you don't want to. Keep a copy of the letter.