help me choose an isp

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
smash
Andalucia.com Amigo

help me choose an isp

Postby smash » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:03 pm

k so im not exactly satisfied with my current isp so i need some sort of an advice. i have pretty much the following choices:

1.my current wifi isp which is worse than the dial-up service i had back at home 9 years ago.

2.the telefonica adsl which as far as i can tell is pretty decent and according to what they told me on the phone when i called them earlier today costs about 40€/month. Now on the other hand a lot of people told me that this is what they tell you in the beginning and when your first "colourful greeting card" with the telefonica sign on it arrives you see another value which is about 70€ and they hadn't made one single call even though national calls are supposedly free

3.orange adsl which i had never even heard of till yesterday and im not exactly sure how it works. according to my mate they use the telefonica landline to connect you but they only charge you 20€/month which doesnt sound realistic nor logical.

so help anyone?

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:02 pm

With Telefonica you have the line rental on top of the ADSL cost; that plus IVA will take it up to just under 70 euros.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

redtop012000
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby redtop012000 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:26 pm

I have Telefonica ADSL at 10mb for just over 40 euros a month and in 3 years never had a problem. Some friends of mine have had the odd router problem and telefonica were slow to visit and when they did they suggested a new ADSL modem which only needed reconfiguring as it happens. Initially the technicians lacked experience but that has changed and the service is much better.
I know nothing of Orange in Spain but if my UK experience is anything to go by with Wanadoo or AOL then steer clear unless you know people in the local area a short distance away from you with good connections and service from Orange.
As in the UK with BT I stay with Telefonica because they seem to be ahead in delivering new technology and I find the service reliable. The links below will provide prices and packages.

http://www.telefonicainenglish.com/adsl.htm

http://internet.orange.es/

Pat & Emer
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: help me choose an isp

Postby Pat & Emer » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:08 pm

Why not go to your local "The Phone House" which is Carphone warehouse in Spain and get their catalog. This has all the offers and comparisons and then make your own mind up.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:58 pm

Go with the best Telefonica offer you can get.

They own the telephone lines and if you have a problem they have to sort it.

If you go with another ISP they will always play you off against Telefonica if the service goes down and you will spend your time chasing yourself around between your ISP and Telefonica.

Sid

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:12 pm

As I understand it, Telefonicainenglish.com is nothing to do with Telefonica :?:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

jrs526
Tourist

Postby jrs526 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:05 pm

A friend of mine in Fuengirola has an Orange USB broadband modem which he says is working fine. He pays €6 per month plus IVA but also has to pay extra when he is on line - I think €2 per day of use. Orange do have other packages which are more expensive but allow you more time on line. The plus with this is that you do not have to have a fixed land-line.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:11 am

Three points from the dunce's corner :shock: :
1. I've just looked at the telefonicainenglish site mentioned here (out of interest) and saw the link for Global Fone....making cheap intnl calls from your mobile. Does anyone use this? Is it worth registering for??
2. Is there any way of getting the 'real' telefonica site in English??
3. And when everyone talks of 'fast' internet connection, what do people consider 'fast'???? Especially as in transfer rate....??? Plus....erm :oops: what exactly does mps -- as in speed 100mps, for example -- stand for???
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

Coin Boy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Coin Boy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:07 am

Have a look at Direct Telecom's website who also do cheap calls and see what you think. http://www.direct-telecom.es/
We're always going to change to them but never get around to it.

I have no confidence in Telefonica as they kept telling us that we couldn't have adsl but Spantel sorted it out very quickly - through the Telefonica exchange of course. It wasn't a technical problem so why didn't they want us to have it? I suspect it was commercially driven, they couldn't get around to us so wanted us to wait for them and not go elsewhere.