Sky + Box

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Sky + Box

Postby Lyric » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:34 am

I am on a distributed system within an apartment block. Last night after changing channel my age old sky box announced no sat signal, I've tried an overnight power down with no change, the other users that are here have no problems. When we moved out we brought our sky + box with us, knowing it was no use at this apartment, but thinking it might be some use when we get a house with it's own system and a dual LNB. Question is does anyone know which LNB input is the "normal" one and which is the "record" one for want of better identification. Can I use my Sky + box as a normal, single input receiver to test ? It's at the bottom of a shipping box at present and I don't want to unpack if the answer is no.

murbisa
Resident

Re: Sky + Box

Postby murbisa » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:18 pm

when I had the sky repair man out some time ago I asked him whether I could do this and I seem to remember him telling me you could connect to either input, it didn't matter which one. i haven't had the need to try it but it would certainly be worth unpacking the box and giving it a go.

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:12 am

We have been using a SKY+ receiver as a general Sky box for the last 6 months and Yes it does work. We do actually have both LNB inputs plugged in, as we never bothered to pull one out when we stopped paying our SKY subscription, so I do not know which one is doing the work. The only problem using the + Box is that the Planner facility does not work. It will not remind you of a programme, or change channels because when you try to add a programme to the planner the message comes up to say play and record facility is not available and to phone Sky. But I agree it is worth unpacking, and give it a go, certainly better than nothing!.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:50 am

Well it does work as suggested, I've connected to input 1 which seemed to make sense. The + services don't work as I am no longer a subscriber, an anomoly I find is that I have lost my regional settings and C4 and 5 from the EPG. I have added them as being a creature of the North West I like my North West tonight and Granada News etc. I still have my original + card fitted and thought these would still work. My old Sky with a freeview card (originally from Manchester) had all these (no that doesn't work either). Still when I get away from the apartment and get my own system The Freesat box with hard disc has just been released, that's the way to go.