Photobucket INFECTED!!! BE CAREFUL!!!

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
mhic
Andalucia Guru

Photobucket INFECTED!!! BE CAREFUL!!!

Postby mhic » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:15 pm

Just picked this up on a bikers forum I visit. Don't know how accurate it is but better safe than sorry.

Mhic.

INFECTED!!! BE CAREFUL!!! Reply with quote
If you go on Photobucket today...the AV2009 Virus pops up...don't click ANYTHING but the red X and close out IE windows FAST!!! I hope they are able to fix it...I've got a ton of pics in my account there!

ken2
Resident

Re: Photobucket INFECTED!!! BE CAREFUL!!!

Postby ken2 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:24 pm

thank you,

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:42 pm

Oh dear, I've been on Photobucket today! I'll do a scan of my P.C. Thanks very much for the warning.

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:40 pm

I've just been uploading photos on there and I've had no problems

La Raya
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby La Raya » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:27 am

I'm always sceptical about virus warnings from un-official sources. Usually just a wind up!

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:24 am

I had a variant of this virus a few months ago and it buggered my machine and cost me a new hard drive and everything that was not backed up. Some of the people on the site the warning came from are computer techs who deal with this stuff all day long and not one of them has said anything other than be careful. I usually check to see if these threats a real but I didn't with this one I'm just passing on the warning.

Mhic.

Dixie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dixie » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:06 pm

Noticed a while ago my photobucket wasn't quite right, I was unable to upload pictures, couldn't sort out albums and finally gave up and looked for something similar to use. I found a site that I now have all my pics in and is better and easier to use. Link supplied....
www.multiply.com
To the world you are one person
To one person you are the world!

Dixie

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:20 pm

I had an email yesterday from Photobucket telling me that I hadn't been to the site for a long time. I am glad I didn't look there yesterday.

Dixie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dixie » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:25 pm

Funnily enough Campo Babe I had an email from them too, stating I had not used it in some time and if I wished to keep it i was to log in! :?
To the world you are one person
To one person you are the world!

Dixie

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:48 pm

is this STILL infected?? as i am not good at computors, i'm a bit afraid to go and try it, that virus got my sons computor here afew months ago, bad news,

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:15 pm

I don't know Ken but on the forum I got it from they are saying it's been cleared.

Mhic.

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:36 pm

I don't think this AV2009 specifically targets any web site such as the one mentioned above. All it does is to create warnings erratically. This is from my own understanding. So just because someone had reported that they have seen a warning pop up on one specific opening of a web site does not mean anything. It is a virus that is on their own computer and not a third party web site.

If you do have this pop up message appearing then I have read that using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (called MBAM) is regarded as a good cleaner. But just Google the names to get more advice.
Fundamentally the owner of the computer that does get infected will be wise to review all the precautions and install and keep up dated all the recommended Anti Virus and other software that keeps these pests at bay.

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:32 pm

Flan-tester, i think you are right, when my son had it ,it said it was a new 2009 anti virus thingy, so he clicked on it, and that was that, had to have the computor took away by my p.c man and clean it all,so perhaps i paniced for nowt,thankyou both for your quick answers,

geo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby geo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:10 am

we also had a similar malware infection last week, was a fake spyware alert, got rid of it using spybot search and destroy. I'm sure its all gone now but Sadie will no doubt be along to tell me if I'm wrong.
How come there is always to much month left at the end of the money???

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:53 pm

Dixie wrote:Funnily enough Campo Babe I had an email from them too, stating I had not used it in some time and if I wished to keep it i was to log in! :?
Was the email actually from photobucket or was it phishing?

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:09 pm

I had the same problem this morning on the Martins Money Tips forum. Computer froze and I couldn't get back into it. Had to do a complete re-install of XP. It has taken me most of the day to get things back to how they were :(

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:45 pm

Murbisa, was it the av2009 that got you into trouble, wow its a nightmare at times,i do run avg and spy bot all the time?? what is happening to our lives, we can't seem to live with out the computor, the bloody mobile phone, the television, ect ect i don't believe it,how can we get so involved with all of this, the thought of me computor getting another virus, is like one of your family getting ill,

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:07 pm

Ken I don't know what it was but it totally corrupted everything. One minute I was on a reputable website and the next everything just froze. I am fairly computer savvy but just gave up and re-installed. We are in the UK for a couple of weeks which was lucky as nothing important on my computer here as I only use it for e-mail and messenger etc. Had it been my main computer in Spain I would have been hopping mad. But it has still taken me most of the day to get everything back to how it was. I just carry our files back and forth on a pen stick when we come over here.
What does this virus do exactly.

Muriel

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:13 pm

well if i can remember it said it detected viruses and you should download it, Bang ,my son did and we, like you had to wipe computor clean and reinstall windows xp. Bar#+*"@d can anyone tell me what the person that put the bloody thing on, gets out of it??? P.S today i was picked up on a spelling thing, blimey i been on here long enough for most to know that i can't spell but do me best,so please don't waste you time haveing a pop at me , cos it is only telling me what i all ready bloody know,minks, quote minx, huh so what, by picking me up shows i knew what i was spelling, and the spell check don't work, good then i don't have to use it,
Last edited by ken2 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:20 pm

It wasn't that. I had that in Spain on something but didn't click on it fortunately