HTML message system

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

HTML message system

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:54 pm

In connection with another forum, I clicked on an email address given for an item I was interested in.

A screen came up which looked like a combination of my normal email screen and the microsoft office screen. At the top of the screen was HTML message.

The email address was in the "to" box

I was able to type a message, but there was no box to click to send the message.

So is my computer not enabled to do this?

smash
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: HTML message system

Postby smash » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:32 pm

the thing is called outlook express. its windows pop3/smtp client and you have to set up the settings. just copy the email address and send it from your normal web client(i assume thats what you use). theres nothing wrong with your computer-its a html function that i think should not be used since hardly anyone uses pop3/smtp clients. so whenever you see an email address in a web page-just copy the address and do it the normal way. unless its a form(which again might not work due to all the uneducated php programmers :lol: )

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:02 am

that i think should not be used since hardly anyone uses pop3/smtp clients.
Apologies if I have misunderstood what you are saying but isn´t POP3 the normal system for sending outgoing mail and SMPT for incoming mail? Certainly that´s what my ISP (telefonica) uses?

smash
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby smash » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:54 pm

oops forgot to mention a few other things. my bad! well heres the deal-obviously servers use those protocols. but since most people use web based clients(such as yahoo, hotmail, gmail and so on) you are viewing your email using a web browser(internet explorer, firefox etc.). so yes-you are using your email but your computer is not using the pop3/smpt ports(port 25 for pop3 and 110 for smpt). via web clients you are using the good old http protocol(port 80) so....yeah...

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:12 pm

Or Port 995 for Gmail's SSL pop3 server & port 465 for their SSL SMTP server, from your own email client!