LCD TV Screen

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Paula
Andalucia Guru

LCD TV Screen

Postby Paula » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:11 pm

I take it that a large red stripe from top to bottom, towards the middle of the screen is something non repairable?? Anyone know?

smash
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: LCD TV Screen

Postby smash » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:35 pm

a picture might be useful.... hard to tell this way.

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:08 pm

Paula, you really are haveing a bad day, can't help you, but hope things are really not as bad tomorrow,xx

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:16 pm

smash wrote:a picture might be useful.... hard to tell this way.
Smash- its pretty simple, imagine your TV screen (when on) then imagine someone has taken a fat red felt tip Pen and drawn a straight line from top to bottom, a 3rd of the way in from the edge of TV. Same when watching a DVD so it is a problem with the TV.

Ken, thanks. Yes today has started better, and the weather is beautiful.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:28 pm

Paula it sounds daft, but make sure nobody has taken a fat red felt tipped pen and drawn a line on the set :idea:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

marios
Resident

Postby marios » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:49 pm

I have seen a video of someone tapping at the top of their screen to fix theres but can't find the video.

marios
Resident

Postby marios » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:09 pm

Try googling I have seen several posts about the red stripe

pkates
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pkates » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:58 pm

I had an LCD monitor with a similar fault where 1/3 of the picture was tinted pink from top to bottom. Not repairable as far as i'm aware.
Pete

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:37 pm

As marios suggested a quick Google search produced:-

"The pixels on your screen are controlled by a matrix composed of switches that turn off and on to produce light.

They are located vertically and horizontally, row-wise and must function together to produce everything from black (everything turned on so no light, or very little, can escape) to layers that represent the three colors that are used alone or in combination to produce the millions of possible shades of each.

One of the switches that controls one of the vertical columns has failed and has turned on the entire column that allows red to display.

The problem switch (a semiconductor combined with many) is permanently turned on, probably part of the screen assembly itself, and was placed with others by robots.
The pin spacing on these 'chips' is very small and often makes the assembly unrepairable.

While LCD panels have fallen hugely in price, you may be looking at a parts cost (labor is probably not too bad) that may make you decide to replace the set."

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:39 pm

DA - that'll be why nobody moved in Corrie the other night!! It was really a felt tip drawing of a night in The Rovers :lol: :lol: Thankfully none of my raucous guests, children or otherwise have drawn on the screen :D

It would seem to be a common fault after taking Marios advice and googling etc. Makes me mad, we have had in the past the old box TVs that lasted for years, go pay out for the new fangled ones which are not cheap over here and little over a year later you are watching stuff in red columns :evil:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:01 pm

Paula wrote: and little over a year later you are watching stuff in red columns :evil:
How long is the warranty?
A lotof goods have a warranty period greater than 12 months.
What make is it?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:16 pm

LG, 12 months.

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:22 pm

I'm not 100% sure, but i think all electric goods in Spain have a two year warranty,?? i look after some apartment , like just hold keys, but have been asked to take things back for people, it was a pain in the aris, waiting for it to be repaired, like a t.v flat screen took 7 months, then could not fix it so gave back the money, same with a dish washer, both over the 12 month time,so Paula look out your receipt.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:40 pm

Paula - just a thought :roll: do you leave the tv on standby all the time? I can remember one we had a few years ago started going pink. Iwas told to turn it completely off for a few hours. let it sort itself out and switch on again. I left it overnight and it was fine next day. It did it afew times. Might be worth a try.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:21 pm

Ken I got all excited as you are right my warranty on this was 2yrs, until I came back down to earth remembering that we are in 2009. We bought it 2yrs 3mths 1wk ago :roll: Two years still seems a short time for the price :evil:
Murbisa, I do leave it in standby :oops: I'll try turning it off. I think we may be unlucky though and that its the pixels or chrystals or whatever on earth it is in these things.

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:05 am

Sods law that is Paula, my camcorder went on the blink, three bloody weeks after the warranty,