Any road map sites for this?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
concorde
Resident

Any road map sites for this?

Postby concorde » Thu May 28, 2009 2:28 pm

This'll probably sound like a really dumb request but here goes.

I'm not the most confident driver if I am in unfamiliar territory, and so like to plan a route out carefully.
Everyone else seems to know where they are going except me :roll:
I'm fine map-reading as a passenger, however I may have to take a drive which does not fill me with confidence at a couple of places.
These consist of a couple of motorway stretches where there are lots of lane switches.
I have tried various sites AA etc but is there any that specifically state which lane you need to be in for a destination.
Most will just say carry on to ?, not much good over 100 miles

These are in the U.K. but I might not get to Andalucia if I take a wrong turn driving to the airport :(
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Any road map sites for this?

Postby Wicksey » Thu May 28, 2009 3:05 pm

I have tried the Viamichelin site for driving around Madrid, but found that their instructions weren't very clear - I can understand what you are saying Concorde! At one point it directed us onto the M50 and told us to 'continue' until our junction, but the road ended after a few kilometers and we were funnelled off onto another stretch of motorway .... we just followed our noses, so to speak, and got there in the end, but I tend to find these websites and even Satnav systems more confusing. I like to know where I'm going before I set off and have it all prepared, as you say. At one point, on the motorway around Madrid we were crawling along in the right hand land as we knew we needed to come off at the next exit, but strangely the exit was on the left-hand side of the motorway ... really weird! We had to quickly get across 3 lanes of busy traffic to reach it in time :shock: .

Where are you trying to drive to, and where are the areas you are unsure of?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu May 28, 2009 4:17 pm

It is worth looking at any dodgy junctions on Google Earth - at least you can see what the place looks like, and you may be able to spot what I term "confirmation points" - for example if the instructions say exit at km xxx, I look at that junction on the satellite view and see if there is a landmark before or after it, like a filling station, an Osborne Bull or a hotel, then you know that you have to turn there or that you have taken the right turning!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Thu May 28, 2009 5:22 pm

Thanks Peter, also messing about and found this site. I've also tried the simulator and it did help show me one of the stretches I was worried about, at least that clears up that little worry :roll:

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/motorway/navigatebymap.shtml

I also liked the bit about bad junctions and peoples comments on them. It's amazing when you ratch about what you find :)
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Thu May 28, 2009 6:49 pm

Buy a garmin gps. My wife has no sense of direction but always finds her way home with the garmin :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . You can pick one up secondhand for €100 ish.