Related HDMI Question

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Alan-LaCala
Resident

Related HDMI Question

Postby Alan-LaCala » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:45 pm

All connected and works fine. At the moment I have the Humax box connected, by Scart, to the DVD recorder for the few occasions I want to record something, first via Freesat, then transfer it to the DVD player/recorder and then put it on DVD. Will I still need to leave that to record from Freesat to DVD?

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Related HDMI Question

Postby markwilding » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:01 pm

Yes I believe it isn't possible to burn HD content via a HDMI to anther drive.It might be possible to record normal defintion though . If not, you can use the scart
Sid will know for sure

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:38 pm

Yes, connect to the DVD recorder via Scart. You can only record SD to a DVD recorder. To record HD you would need an (expensive) BluRay recorder.

If you want to get clever then you can copy BBC HD programmes from the Humax to a USB drive and copy them onto the PC. These can be played back in HD on the PC and also edited and written to DVD in HD format to play on another PC but not in a DVD player. You can connect a laptop to the TV if it has an HDMI output and play in HD.

If you want to build an archive of programs/films the best way is to connect a USB hard disk to the Humax and store them there. They can be played back on the Humax with no problems. ITV HD is copy protected and cannot be copied to a USB drive. If you want to do that then record in Non Freesat mode and it won't be copy protected.

Sid

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:42 am

Thanks again.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:31 am

I have a Humax Foxsat PVR and used to copy programmmes onto a USB drive and then onto my PC. However the Humax box now says that it cannot read any of my USB drives and tells me to reformat them on my PC. I've tried that but all to no avail. Is there anything I can do with the box without buying another?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:32 am

Are you using external hard disks or are you using memory sticks?

Some memory sticks will not work for reasons that are not clear.

What format are the disks? The disks must be formatted as Fat32 not NTFS. If you want to copy long programs or HD programs they will exceed the Fat32 file size limit and the disks must be formatted in EXT3 format.

Sid

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:43 am

I have 2 memory sticks and initially I used both to copy programmes off the humax box and to transfer music MP3s onto the box. Then I came across the 2MB limit and I formatted one of the memory sticks with an EXT3 partititon. This all worked OK until the end of last year when I got the error messages. Since then I have been unable to use either of the memory sticks even after reformatting them as Fat32. I have also tried my MP3 16GB player and got the same error message. I have a USB external HDD attached to my PC but is formatted as NTFS so I cannot try that. It's a B.....!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:24 am

I assume you have tried both USB ports.

It is most likely the memory sticks that are the problem but it is strange that they worked before. No one has yet come up with a definitive answer as to why this problem exists.

You could try creating a small extra partition on the hard disk and trying that. If that doesnt work it has to be a problem with the Humax.

There is a new firmware update due soon which might cure it but the date has not yet been announced. There is a beta version on the Humax site but if you can't get the USB ports to work you can't install the update!

Sid