Sat Nav problems

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
murbisa
Resident

Sat Nav problems

Postby murbisa » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:25 pm

I am reall in the doghouse :lol: :lol:
I decided to treat OH to a new map on his Tomtom as we have had it about 5 years now.
Plugged it into computer, ordered map and started the lengthy download. All went well and after it had finished I clicked to operate it through computer. Got as far as the locate current position and it stopped working.
I thought the battery might be flat so put it on charge for a couple of hours. Now it won't switch on at all and computer does not recognise it. It is completely frozen. I have pressed the reset button several times but nothing works.
So now I have a dead sat nav and have wasted over £50. Having read the forum etc. it appears there is no way of contacting tomtom with a machine this old.
Anybody got any ideas??
Failing that any recommendations for a new one - preferably a different make.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Sat Nav problems

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:39 pm

What model TomTom? On mine the reset button is difficult to locate within the recess for the connection to its mount and you need a very thin paper clip in order to reset it. It needs to go into the hole and press down on the micro-switch at the bottom of the hole.
Let's go Brandon!

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:44 pm

It's the 910 Beach. We have reset it several times before without a problem so I think I am doing it correctly. It does freeze on odd occasions but the reset button usually works and failing that if I connect it to Tom Tom Home it sorts it out, This time though it won't switch on at all.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:48 pm

That's the one I have. If you are sure you are resetting it properly I don't know what else to suggest. My mobile telephone locks up sometimes and to get it going again I just disconnect it from the battery but you can't do that with a SatNav.

I updated the map on mine a while ago and it did take a long time to start up the first time I switched it on after doing so.
Let's go Brandon!

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks Beach - what is so annoying is that it started to work via computer and then just stopped.
So now I think I will have to buy him a new one but after this am a bit wary of Tomtom.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:34 pm

Hi murbisa,
Had you not backed up the 910 before loading the updated map. :?:
Try rebooting computer and then do a backup of the 910 .
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:37 pm

Enrique I did do a back up but if the satnav won't start up then I can't do a restore. I need to be able to switch it on!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:52 pm

Hi murbisa,
Ok so you're really back to basics :(
So it doesn't switch on when not connected to computer :?:

So what is the life of the battery........does your manual show you where its located :?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuHmG55tqsU

http://tinyurl.com/6oclqgr
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:55 pm

Amended.
Last edited by frank on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:10 pm

With any Satnav it's very important to do a backup to your PC. The TomTom when connected to the PC (without using TomTom Home) should show up as an attached external hard disk. As such you can copy the contents of the TomTom to your PC and restore the data in the same way.

There is a backup routine in the TomTom software but it is easier and safer to do it in the basic way.

What may have happened to you is that the TomTom crashed when doing the update.

The same thing probably applies to all GPS navigators.

Sid

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:25 pm

Well I have made a bit of progress. After more googling I pressed the reset button for 15secs and then kept it pressed while I pressed "on" button. Kept both pressed for a good minute and then let go of reset button. Kept on button pressed and it came to life. Tried connecting to computer but it just switched off. Turned it on again and it started selecting correct time and language etc. Then went back to screen saver screen. Anyway I now have life in the thing so will keep playing.
Sid I did do a back up so if all else fails I will try to restore it.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:35 pm

murbisa wrote: Sid I did do a back up so if all else fails I will try to restore it.
Great - I am sure that will sort it so long as it stays alive long enough!

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:30 pm

Have you tried using the car docking facility. I sometimes have a problem getting mine to charge from the desktop dock. The connection pin has to be in just the right position. Does the charging pilot light above the top left hand corner of the screen come on when it is connected?
Let's go Brandon!

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:41 pm

An update for all you helpful people. Eventually got life back into tomtom and a map so we took it for a ride in the car and it seems to be working fine now. Now I will do a back up of the new maps straight to the computer before anything else happens. I just wish these things were not so temperamental and the manual tell you how to stop it freezing.
Many thanks for everyone's input.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:29 pm

Glad you are getting it sorted.
In the meantime, this may help:

:lol:

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:27 pm

Ha ha!!! If you could see me trying to map read you would realise I am safer with the satnav Whitehorse

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:41 pm

White Horse wrote:Glad you are getting it sorted.
In the meantime, this may help:
I know what you mean! I recently bought a TomTom, not because I can't read maps but I see it as a navigation device rather than a map reader.

I carry it in the car in case I get lost or diverted in a city - Malaga can be dire if you get diverted. With a TomTom it takes seconds to get a way out which a map could provide but it would mean stopping and working out a new route.

Also, on a trip it does keep you informed of your progress with regard to your expected time of arrival. Maps don't do this.

They are so cheap now it seems silly not to have one!

Sid

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:01 pm

I've never been a lover of satnavs preferring to get my bearings with a map. However, before my trip to Alora in December I did invest in a Tomtom 1005 Go Live Europe & UK. A great piece of kit when going somewhere for the first time. Another benefit I found was that going back to Malaga airport it actually took me off the main route to avoid a major hold up - and I hadn't even realised to start with! Haven't used it back in the UK but I should - this little piece of magic tells you when a policeman is about to jump out and wave his thingy at you!

I digress - wherever I drove in Andalucia it held the GPS signal all the time and even knew the terrain when I was way off the beaten track. Being new I haven't tried any downloads yet - think I'll leave it a bit longer :think:
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:07 pm

I was driving in loose convoy with my brother one day, he was using a satnav and was in front. One of my kids was in his hire car. The satnav told him to turn right. My son told him to carry straight on if he didn't want to go vertically down a 20 metre drop into a river bed.

They have their uses, if I worked on multi drop deliveries in the UK, I'd want one.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:11 pm

Sat nav is essential in some places in Spain. Madrid has so many motorways that it's almost impossible not to get lost there.