MiFi Router for home & travel USB Dongle

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
flan_taster
Resident

MiFi Router for home & travel USB Dongle

Postby flan_taster » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:48 am

Does anybody have any experience of ZOOM 3G Wireless and Travel Router ? I have at present a USB Dongle with Orange Spain and it works fine so do not wish to get rid of it. If I use an iPAD then I would need to change the SIM card to a Micro one and don't really want the hassles. So thought simplest way would be to use something like this router ? Or any other suggestions. (still not sure about iPAD but just like to know if this technology is best !)
http://www.maplin.co.uk/zoom-3g-wireles ... ter-351516

Stoker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: MiFi Router for home & travel USB Dongle

Postby Stoker » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:02 pm

What do you use your current dongle with? I know that with an Apple Macbook it is possible to share an internet connection and allow other devices to connect to the internet. Not sure if this is possible with a PC - maybe someone else might know.

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:08 pm

I have a mifi router and dongle and I can run 2 pcs of it. Also a samsung galaxy and iphone all at same time. It will handle up to 7 connections, but ultimately depends on the strength of the incoming mobile 3g signal.
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:17 pm

Colin ...thanks. Could you let me know about your MiFi router. Is it one of the portable lightweight jobs or is it really for use in one place. I think there must be different sorts. Also excuse my ignorance but if I buy a Galaxy Note II phone will it be easy to set that up to use MiFi ?
Am really trying to see which Phone/small Tab or Pad or whatever is best (a) for using whilst travelling and (b) for more regualr use in Spain whilst connected to an Orange USB Dongle. I can buy one of these phones in UK on contract for basic phone and texting use but would prefer not to use the Internet except for emergencies and would like to use own wifi connection.

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:54 pm

Sorry for slow reply, i only just noticed your questions.
its a HuaweiE585. Very light and slim, fits into pocket no problem.
No problem to connect new devices. My Samsung galaxy S2 almost connected itself :D
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:27 pm

Thanks but I decided to try a MiFi router from GO BABY MOBILE which so far is suitable although took a while to sort out the correct method to connect the device including my plugged in USB dongle to the WiFi on my own PC. In the end found the correct configuration and connected. This looks like the solution to any future WiFi connections in house - incdg iPads or any other wifi devices.