Advice please.

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
mhic
Andalucia Guru

Advice please.

Postby mhic » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:58 pm

Thought I would buy my wife one of these tablet things for Christmas, god alone knows what she would do with it but she has hinted and a hint is as good as an order. So what would be a good buy, my son suggested an ipod but they seem very pricey.

Mhic

caboodles
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Advice please.

Postby caboodles » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:05 pm

iPad is the best.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:10 pm

I don't think anybody can give you a proper answer without knowing what your wife wants to use a tablet for.
Internet access?
Reading books?
Take photos?
Shopping lists?
Household accounts?
etc etc

Problem is you could buy a XXX and when she gets it she might say " I can't do yyy on it"

I always believe in buying something that lets me use the facilities/functions I want to use.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:12 pm

Hi mhic,

"god alone knows what she would do with it"

Probably the best use for the new ipad..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcIwXVKQjsQ
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:20 pm

I suggested an i-pad a little earlier and was told she would rather have a few bob to spend on clothes in the sales. A result because she never spends a fortune on herself so now I can drop a few hints, crash bars for the bike perhaps. b*****! I can't think of anything else I want.

Mhic.

caboodles
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby caboodles » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:22 pm

From a female perspective over £400 is a lot to spend on a tablet, but you asked for advice on which tablet is the best and it goes without saying that an ipad is the best on the market and you don't have to be a techie to know this (although it helps if you have an office full of geeks working for you). I would never buy one personally, but I was lucky enough to have one bought for me. You could just surprise your wife and buy one for her, or give her £400 for the sales. Either one will result in a happy wife!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:09 am

The iPad Mini is a good option as it is cheaper than the big one. €329 vs €499.

It makes a better book reader as it is much lighter. It has all the function of the big one in a smaller box.

A compromise would be the iPad 2 which is still available at €399.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:07 pm

Wife's getting an Ipad mini and son's getting a Ipad.

I've been trying to convince her, with little success, to have a kindle HD , which is pretty cheap and getting decent reviews,

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:14 pm

From the reviews I have read the Kindle is nowhere near as good as the Nexus 7 as a general purpose tablet. The Kindle is OK if you are going to primarily use it to download Amazon content to watch/read.

One reason the iPad is popular despite its ludicrous price is because the apps are far better than the Android apps. If you are buying a phone there are pretty level but Apple have far more apps specifically designed for the larger screens on tablets.

If you try a phone app on a tablet it is very poor.

The other reason the iPad sells well is that there are so many iPhones around and all the Apple devices talk to each other and can share the same apps very easily. If you have an iPhone or another iPad then you are 90% certain to stay with Apple.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:20 pm

Here is a very interesting, and probably true, comment I read on another forum about Apple and their products-

"But in fairness to Apple, they make very glossy, user-friendly devices well suited to people who are non-technical and don't mind paying vastly too much for a celebrity product. And most of their stuff is very slickly designed, packaged and presented, and very glossy and slick in use. Anything that is not slick and easy is removed!
It is a tax on technical ignorance and an example of how to build brand loyalty verging on religious fervour. They do very well from it."

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

caboodles
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby caboodles » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:24 pm

In every review the iPad gets 10/10

Incredibly fast
Gorgeous screen
Unbeatable app selection
Impressive Wi-Fi performance
Upgraded cameras

Read more: http://www.itproportal.com/apple/tablet ... z2F9cZdeDx

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:37 pm

I-Pod does sound good but I'm taking the easy option, cash to spend in the sales is what she says she'd prefer and that's fine with me. But thanks for the advice everyone.

Mhic.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:35 am

I bought the new ipads yesterday.The mini was sold out in a few places. In El Corte Ingles there were three people at the cash desk buying them.
So much for the crisis.