Outlook

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Nimrod
Resident

Outlook

Postby Nimrod » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:32 pm

I have a Hotmail account which Microsoft, in its infinite wisdom,has "upgraded" to Outlook e mail.
I now have a big column on the left with folders etc and a big column on the right with useless info and ads.
When I open e mails I don't always see them in full,ie,the colums impinge.
Is there a way to get rid of them please?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Outlook

Postby Enrique » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:43 pm

Hi Nimrod,
"Is there a way to get rid of them please?"

Yes set yourself up a Gmail account and use that to "harvest" the existing Microsoft e-mail account.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:52 pm

Ah,yes good idea Enrique,I found you can "squeeze" the l/h box down a bit but your idea is more sensible.
Many thanks.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:09 pm

I agree entirely. Gmail is far and away the best free email system whether or not you use the online web mail option or download your mail to a desktop email client like Windows Mail.

Their spam filtering is amazingly efficient and you have so many options for forwarding to other email accounts.

I do have an Outlook account and a Yahoo account but I can think of no reason why I would want to use either of them on a regular basis.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:19 am

I am fed up with Outlook too :evil: There is now no option to change back! Today I have been in 3 times and was not able to open any mail...just says outlook is not available right now, try again later :wtf:

littleeak
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby littleeak » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:59 pm

Try accessing your emails through Windows Live Mail programme & not use the Outlook site at all. We have 3 hotmail accounts on it.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:43 pm

I couldn't agree more....since the (unsolicited and allegedly imperative) 'upgrade' to Outlook, I have had nothing but problems and it is doing my head in. These range from' we cannot access Outlook t this time' to it being 'unable' to 'see' libraries from which I want to attch files...I am so so angry but of course that is getting me nowhere! I have a Gmail account but TBH I just can't get my head round its strange email system structure and don't want to have to rely on that.....so....what is this 'Windows Mail'??? Is this a viable alternative??? And if so, how would I set it up??
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:42 am

And now, Outlook refuses to 'find' past emails via the search facility, when they are obviously still there, and the senders/recipients email addresses come up as 'suggestions'......what can I do? (I've wasted all morning so far trying to set up Windows Live Mail but it refused to send or receive....(and yes, I DID do a reboot).....I really don't want to be downloading ALL my past emails either.......
Just about to do a system restore...and then top myself I think.
It's all just going from bad to worse!!! :shock:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:23 pm

Hi tjtops,
All I can offer is a shoulder to cry on and some words of encouragement ........... :angel:

If the system restore works then it could be an update that has sneaked in under the radar.

If so check Windows update in Control Panel.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:23 pm

Um.. No it didn't work!! Out now on duty visit so will return to it shortly.. Tearing hair out stage!!

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm

OK...so.....now I am REALLY p*****d off. I finally managed to do a system restore (took about 7 goes!!)....but Outlook still absolutely refuses to 'find' ANY past emails (via the 'search' facility)..... this is a major problem for me, so any ideas???? :wtf:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi tjtops,
There are some other unhappy clients out there........ :(

I'm unable to post links as The Forum throws up a 504 error....so you will have to Google and look at recent entries only.

GOOGLE

outlook.com failing to find old emails after upgrade

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:26 pm

Best advice - move to Gmail.

Sid

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:36 pm

Enrique....OK thanks; :thumbup: Sid...I absolutely hate it (even though I know it works better!!!) :crazy:

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:40 pm

PS......what really puzzles me is that this particular issue only started 2 days ago.....about the same time as it suddenly stopped 'seeing' a certain folder in my documents library (when I needed to attach a file to an email)......could the two things be related and if so why/how??? (I've had the awful Outlook much longer than that!)

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:13 pm

PPS....now it's REALLY getting weird.......
SOME email histories it can 'find'.....the majority not. I have Googled till I'm all googled out and I'm no nearer finding out what's going on.....plus I've wasted a whole day.
So...then I've tried to sign into my gmail account.....only to get a message about are my cookies enabled! I can't see how/where to check this (nothing in the Firefox drop-down menu)......
So basically I'm sinking....... :wtf:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:49 am

Firefox cookie settings..........

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ena ... references

Are you sure the Cookie thing is not just the message they(sites) have to put out now and you accept or reject them........ :?:

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:43 am

ok many thanks....will check that out and no, it wasn't that same message!
Well...curiouser and curiouser as Alice would say..... today's instalment!
I suddenly thought I could check if I'd done something stupid (highly likely!) on or to my laptop, so I've dug out my netbook and had a go on there.
Same thing.....email search will 'find' some people/messages but not others (returns a 'we couldn't find etc etc -- even though there are recent messages -- and it suggests an advanced search -- which can't 'find' them either!!!
But....and here's where it gets really weird!!!.....I have a hotmail.co.uk (which I use mainly) and a hotmail.com.....and this morning it's suddenly decided it can find these EXACT SAME people on the .com account! (Although obviously, that's not much help since the convos/messages etc are mostly on the co.uk one)
So what is going on??? Is there some sort of background 'updating/indexing' going on without our knowledge? I ask that because at one point last night (before I completely gave up) I saw a window saying something so many files (?) out of so many having been indexed ...unfortunately, I was so tired by then that I closed it before I'd really thought about it.....
Is there a possibility that it's automatically indexing in the background, one account at a time? (One of the main 'people' it can't find is someone with whom I possibly have the largest number of emails on the co.uk account)
Or is that just wishful thinking...... :roll:
(IE decided it could get into Gmail BTW when Firefox said it couldn't).........

bigal
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bigal » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:23 am

I have e.mail accounts with Yahoo, GMail and Hotmail and I run them all through Mozilla Thunderbird. I did download Outlook about a week ago, but didn't like it and decided to stick with Thunderbird. Haven't lost any e.mails that I am aware of and it seems to work OK (for me, anyway).

Mozilla versus Microsoft - no brainer!
Alan - aka the anorexic grasshopper

littleeak
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby littleeak » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:36 pm

what is this 'Windows Mail'??? Is this a viable alternative??? And if so, how would I set it up??
it's easier to send this link that try to explain!!

http://download.cnet.com/Windows-Live-M ... 98282.html