'Cleaning' to speed up computer

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

'Cleaning' to speed up computer

Postby Wicksey » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:20 pm

My netbook laptop is running slowly according to Skype - it shows the yellow warning saying it may be too slow to have a clear conversation. It is the latest version. The computer is quite slow to start up although it opens new tabs and pages quite quickly.

CCleaner. com has been recommended to me as an easy way to 'clean' up the computer but this hasn't helped for me. I know it is not my system here as I tried it at a friend's house who had 8mbs and it was even slower, so I presume it is not a problem with my particular router or ISP. My PC is running well with no such speed problems (I am getting over 4mbs now with a low PING too after previous reported problems).

Any suggestions .... in simple terms please :?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: 'Cleaning' to speed up computer

Postby Enrique » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:33 pm

Hi Wicksey,
Some more info on your Netbook..................please

Make and model of Netbook
What is the Windows version.....Control Panel-> System
How much real memory.............as above
How much free disk space.......... :?:

Right click on the system Bar and then click Task manager....have a look what is using the CPU. How many processes running...... :?:

CCleaner is only one part of a tidyup option.

Once we have the above info we can give you some pointers to speed up your system.

Thanks
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:28 pm

It's an HP Mini

Windows Starter service pack 1

Disk space free on C: 250 out of 281mb

Recovery D disk (not sure what this is) free: 1.81 out of 16.7MB

Not sure what 'real memory' is or where I find it

On task manager:

around 61 processes, CPU usage, varies between 10 and 23%, Physical memory 86%

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:08 pm

Hi Wicksey,
Real memory can be found........Control Panel -> System Installed memory (RAM)

Looking at some of the HP Mini specs they only have 1GB memory installed with a max of 2 supported.....If you only have 1GB then getting it to 2GB would be the way to go.

Your memory usage is very high.........when you kick off other programs things could be Paging out to disk and that is a slow operation.

The Recovery Partition is for recovering the OS should you have a major problem with it.

61 processes for a quiet system is high......guessing there is stuff that's not needed

Have a look in... msconfig ->startup ... can get to it from the START -> Search programs and files

As a one off run a Disk Defrag...........I use Smart defrag by IO bit........unfortunately it looks to be loaded with some bloat these days so read the install as you do it. Don't run it on a regular basis , just now to see the current state of the disk.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:21 am

Thanks Enrique .... yes it is only 1GB memory installed, so that could be part of the problem. I thought as there was a lot of memory left on the C disk it shouldn't be running slowly.

I have gone back to using my big PC more during the day to download recordings etc as it is much faster. Watching live TV isn't such a high priority (which I did via the HP Mini) as I tend to watch more TV that is downloaded onto a USB. I am also worried that too much live TV will blow up my Mini anyway, so I have cut back on that.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:20 pm

Hi Wicksey,
The space on the HDD ie C: is for storing files, The real memory ie 1GB is the bit that counts.
Windows 7 really needs 2GB.

Download the Crucial Memory scanner and see what options you have.....and the cost.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/index.aspx

I always use Crucial find them very helpful and their product is first rate.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:12 pm

Enrique wrote:
I always use Crucial find them very helpful and their product is first rate.
And free postage to Spain.

Sid

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:32 pm

Hi All,

I had a similar problem with my ASUS netbook, even with help from ASUS technicians I was unable to get SKYPE to work properly, from new so clutter was not a factor. It was finally decided that the Intel Atom Processor was not up to the task. Amazingly the netbook was pre installed with SKYPE. It has now been relegated to the bottom of a cupboard somewhere. :thumbdown:
Has your netbook previously run SKYPE and now struggles or is this a recent programme addition?
As an after note, our Kindle Fire which cost half as much works perfectly. :thumbup:

Gerry
Gerry

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:14 am

I seem to remember Skype was put onto the netbook when I had Windows 7 in English put onto it when I first bought it a year ago (originally it was the Spanish version).I have used Skype previously on it last year and it ran OK.
I haven't used it much recently but as my other VOIP was playing up I thought I'd change to Skype but that also started cutting off mid call, even on our PC which has good connection and call quality. Just as well we don't need to make many phone calls!