XBMC

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: XBMC

Postby markwilding » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:31 am

Try this for sports on android TV.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... oller.free
On first play it will tell you to download the Acestream plugin,which will be offered to be done by the program and you must do this for it to work. It is also important that you have VLC player for android installed as well.
On the interface you will see a a categories list, go to sport and you will see a selection of channels including Sky Sports and BT sport, click into the required channel and wait for the buffering process to complete. a lot of video players will come up in a window, choose the VLC option and you will have better quality sport.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:47 am

I've now downloaded Mobdro and although it's good, the quality with Ace Stream is closer to normal TV and is much better. Last night I watched the Valencia match and apart from it freezing for a couple of seconds a couple of times during the match, the quality was brilliant.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:21 pm

OK, I now know that my Asus tf101 has a nvidia tegra 2 processor which is not supported by Mobdro. Never mind. I haven't got round to trying out Acestream yet either, because, frankly, I can get everything I need with Sopcast already, and there's no advantage to me in getting this stuff on my tablet anyway since I can only cast to TV with Chromecast using Chrome on the PC.
Anyway, I'm still curious. Does Mobdro give you live TV in the same way as Filmon, or is it just a P2P streaming facility for live events as and when they're on? (Really hard to get a straight answer on this point for some reason!)
And more relevant to this particular thread I suppose - what's the point of XBMC?! If you can get all the main FTA channels via the Filmon app, and sports via the Mobdro app (assuming you don't have nvidia tegra 2 processor!) - why would you pay extra for a "fully customised" Android box rather than just buy one off Amazon and install those 2 apps yourself? I thought it was all about XBMC, but I'm getting the impression here that nobody actually bothers with XBMC - not that I can blame them!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:48 am

Can you use any antroid box ie one from Amazon or do you have to go through a company like Androidtvsolutions. I was thinking of just buying one from Amazon which comes already "loaded" as they say!
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:01 pm

Hi Patricia,
If you want value added service then best go through Androidtvsolutions, if you're into configuring Linux/XBMC then Amazon cheapies could be for you............... 8)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:16 pm

Enrique wrote:Hi Patricia,
If you want value added service then best go through Androidtvsolutions, if you're into configuring Linux/XBMC then Amazon cheapies could be for you............... 8)
This is what I thought Enrique. Thanks for your responce :thumbup:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:50 pm

Patricia - I'm not trying to put down any companies here or complicate the issue, BUT...the point I was trying to make in previous posts is, if you think you have the technical level required to install two simple free apps from Google Play onto an Android device (i.e. if you've ever used, or know someone who has used an Android smart phone or tablet) you might as well buy the cheapest box you can find on Amazon. Forget XBMC and worrying about it's (undoubted) complexity. You just need to install Filmon & Mobdro - neither of which require a VPN by the way.

If, on the other hand you think this is too much bother, or if you really want a proper program guide and navigation more akin to Sky/Freesat, then you should be looking at one of the Mag250 boxes with subscription.

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:06 pm

Well I did wonder about installing it myself. I do have an Android tablet. However as much as I like Filmon I would like the iplayer and this is why I am asking. I appreciate your comments. If I can download the iplayer myself then I might buy one from Amazon, if not it will have to be from tvsolutions. Still, it is very reassuring though that you are all there to Liston to the "numbies" cries for help and to give it :thumbup:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:34 pm

Well, if you can install iPlayer on your tablet, you can install it on an Android box (which is to all intents and purposes the same as your tablet but uses the TV as the screen). You will need a VPN though. I understand the AndroidTVSolutions one is good value, plus the price of their box does include shipping to Spain & backup if needed.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:40 pm

Miro wrote:Well, if you can install iPlayer on your tablet, you can install it on an Android box (which is to all intents and purposes the same as your tablet but uses the TV as the screen). You will need a VPN though. I understand the AndroidTVSolutions one is good value, plus the price of their box does include shipping to Spain & backup if needed.
The key selling points about the "managed" solution from companies like Androidtvsolutions is that everything is installed including a VPN and they offer full free support including the ability for them to connect direct to the box remotely and sort out any problems whilst on the phone at the same time.

The extra cost of the preinstallation and support amounts to only £40 over the Amazon price which seems like pretty good value to me. Yes, the VPN adds £25 but that is cheap at the price compared to finding one for yourself. Add to that a no quibble money back warranty and I think that's a pretty good deal.

I could go on but then I will probably be accused of having some commercial interest - which I don't - just a happy customer!

Sid'

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:59 pm

Whole heartedly agree with Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:28 pm

I wouldn't necessarily disagree either. For some, it's a perfectly acceptable solution. And I'm not for one moment suggesting that anyone has a commercial interest, but I do think there is a strong bias towards one system over all others here. I just think all options should be compared fairly. The Mag250 system for example has been routinely written off simply because it involves a subscription, and I think a lot of people have been scared off as a result. That's not fair. It's almost certainly more stable, and definitely more user friendly than an Android box, which for some (senior/non-techie?) users could be rather difficult to use. It may cost a couple of hundred euros, but a typical subscription of €20 to include Sky Sports & movies (for which I currently pay around €70 via satellite) would soon pay for itself.

Jk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jk » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:53 pm

Read all your comments relating to XBMC and Android, but I would like to ask if there are any alternatives if I were using an ipad (Apple).
I know XMBC can be operated with the iphone/ipad, but seems complicated to install, are there any alternatives offering eg. Sky Sports and BT Sport. I know MODBRO was mentioned for Andriod but I believe this will not operate on the ipad?
At present I have a motorised dish system which offers most channels from around the world, but have just purchased the Apple tv which is fine but very limited and believe there are other options available using the Apple tv!
I hope I have not strayed too far away from the original post.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Many thanks,
Jk.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:14 pm

Jk wrote: but have just purchased the Apple tv which is fine but very limited and believe there are other options available using the Apple TV
Jk.
The Apple TV is very limited in what it can do. The previous version could be Jailbroken and run things like XBMC but the Mk 3 is pretty much a connection device for Airplay from the iPad to the TV. The apps available are pretty poor but the ability to download HD films from iTunes is good. That explains why a used Mk 2 will sell for over £200 on the open market!

There is a new version due out soon which is said to be able to run all the IOS apps. That will be a real game changer if it actually happens.

Sid

Jk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jk » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:22 pm

Thanks Sid, I heard mk.2 version is good for Jailbreak, I have a friend with version 2 and he receives everything, makes you think!

Many thanks for the update.

John.

jimmy7
Tourist

Postby jimmy7 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:16 pm

I bought the Android IPTV Mx box in October from AndroidTVsolutions recommended on this thread.
It worked perfectly for about six weeks and I was more than pleased, then suddenly it got stuck on the Matricom start page and will not start up.

I have contacted AndroidTV solutions, but they are next to useless in trying to help sort out the problem. :thumbdown:

I have downloaded the recovery and factory update files from the internet and copied them to a sd card. I have tried to reboot the Mx box countless times via the reset button at the back but it just will not go to the reboot page.
Anybody out there with any solutions ?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:33 pm

jimmy7 wrote: .

I have contacted AndroidTV solutions, but they are next to useless in trying to help sort out the problem. :thumbdown:
They are usually really helpful.

Try 00 44 161 432 5427

Sid

axarquian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby axarquian » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:47 pm

When I had problems with my AndroidTVSolutions box they went out of their way in providing me with a solution to get the box up and running again. They provided extensive telephone support and all at no cost to me even though I had caused the problem.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:28 pm

Ditto except it was not my fault but we were trying to rectify for over an hour before defeat was accepted. I was sent a new box. This has functioned but I still feel it is a product that is not totally fit for purpose. Settings alter or are lost, one day VPN1 will work on another it's VPN2. I want to use a smartDNS with it but that does not seem to be possible as I have to connect wirelessly, no trailing wires allowed :(
If there is a way can someone point me in the right direction. I know I can do it with a hard wired connection. I have no access to my Router so it has to be done at device level.
There is no consistency in the way it works, or indeed faults.
We are now in a routine of recording via Filmon and watching the day after. The switch back to live TV is different nearly every night, from a smooth transition to total lock up and a reboot required.
If Senior Management was on her own she would not cope.

beachbabe
Resident

Postby beachbabe » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:15 pm

Yes the poor chap was on the phone for ages to us. Sent a load of updates and upgrades. It kind of worked and then it didn't. Better to view through the TV apps on a smart tv or use NOW TV. Even better record programmes and play back from Laptop to tv via HDMI. Android TV box now gathering dust.