Windows 10

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: Windows 10

Postby Miro » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:18 pm

Trouble with Skype "not responding" again today. Bit strange, didn't have any problems pre-upgrade. But then again, no big surprise that a Microsoft owned product doesn't function perfectly in Windows! :silent:

And while we're on MS products, Internet Explorer still has bits & pieces in Program Files, but there doesn't seem to be any way to completely uninstall it, even though it's now supposedly obsolete. I've disabled it via Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off - now when I click on "check for updates" in CCleaner, nothing at all happens! Previously it automatically opened my default browser (Chrome). Strange :wtf:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:00 am

Hi Miro,
Skype uninstall using Revouninstaller, Reboot , download and install a Clean version.

IE...........more later

I did a proper Clean install ie. Upgraded to get New Licence Registered then a Custom install so my Win10 was just just the Basic system, then installed the bits I use.
Skype worked and Edge is the default Browser. I use Firefox and Manually download any updates using a Download Add-on.

I currently have a major problem in the computer room so I may be some time getting back.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:57 am

Enrique - You can get computer room drivers for Win10 off MS website. You may have to wipe all your machines and do a clean install.

I have seen and read enough to stick with Win7. :lolno: :lolno:

N. Ludd

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:33 am

Yet another with problems! Sadly I had no choice BUT to go with the pile of useless you-know-what that is W8/8.1 when I had to buy new netbook and new desktop about 4 months ago..... IMHO there was NOTHING wrong withW7 which I found perfectly fine!!! So.. long story short, I was looking forward to w10 (I know, I know!).... set the upgrade going, was greeted by 'no signal' to the monitor and therefore completely blank screen! Off to Curry's it went as they suspected a graphics card (coincidental) fault... however it worked OK at the repair centre. Back it came last night. I switch on with great glee and..... nowt! Much swearing later, I went to bed in disgust. Came in this morning... still nowt ('no signal' to monitor). Went to switch it off, pressed the power button on the tower and lo. A display!!!! (And everything so far seems to be responding properly, except bluetooth but that's another saga!). So can anyone explain what has happened and why? Please?? :roll:
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:06 am

Hi tjtops,
Probably an iffy "driver" during the Loading Driver Stage, on one of my may failed installs had a high pitch noise coming from the on-board speakers, couldn't mute so had to leave the room........ :twisted:

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:15 am

Any chance of getting win 7 on to an 8.1 machine?
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:33 am

Why do you want to do that?
If it is because you miss the start button and the Win 7 start up screen then install classic shell from http://www.classicshell.net/ and you can use Win 8.1 exactly as you used Win 7.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:39 am

Hi DA,
Gerry's Classic Shell is a good move for Windows 8.1 and 10, remove all the tiles and you can get it looking like a Win 7 system.
Have it on a 8.1 system and my new shiny Win 10 one too......... :D

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:42 am

I've been using classic shell since I've had the laptop.

As for why I want Windows 7? I like it more than win 8.1.

Win 7 laptop has less glitches than the newer 8.1 for sure.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:55 am

Hi DA,
Move "forward" give 10 a try............. :idea:

I'm off to do one now.......have two days before system required........so maybe a long weekend...... :(

14 million upgrades in the first day............so some must work................ :yawn:

Gerry: I take it you're looking good with Win 10......... :?:

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:58 am

Just skim reading the thread and some reckon that the bods at micrsoft can see your personal info with Win 10. Sod that, don't want them beating me to all the classic car bargains :mrgreen:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:59 am

What gliches are you experiencing?
Can't say I've ever noticed any.
Yes you can delete Win 8.1 and install Win 7 if you really want too.
Cheers
Gerry
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:16 am

Both Toshiba laptops, albeit the 8.1 machine is higher spec due to it being 18 months newer.
The 7 laptop is just faster in everything it does and always has been, plus a lot of drivers for various add ons will load with ease on 7 but can be a right royal PITA with 8.1.

Plus signing in every time is a joke too......yes I know there is a way around it but it doesn't work for me.
Windows 7 wasn't broke and never really needed becoming unavailable on new machines..........I am not on my own with these views.

When you say I could put win 7 on to the 8.1 laptop. Does that involve buying a new disc and faffing about or can you simply "downgrade"?
Thanks.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:29 am

DA,
If the laptop came with 8.1 then you will have to buy a Retail copy. There may be some deals around still, I bought a 3 licence pack from MS for £109 the other year.

As for Win 10 snooping, you can disable most of that and the bits that do go through will not help them beat you to a Classic car deal............. :D

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:36 am

Thanks Enrique, I'll just carry on mainly using the win7 laptop, and let the OH continue using the spiked abacus that is 8.1 :mrgreen:

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:10 am

Totally agree about W7 not being 'broke' so didn't need fixing........
And thanks Enrique for input :wave:
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:29 pm

Enrique wrote: As for Win 10 snooping, you can disable most of that and the bits that do go through will not help them beat you to a Classic car deal............. :D
Worryingly even if you disable all the relevant settings your privacy is still massively compromised! For the majority who are not tech savvy enough to fiddle around disabling settings this must/should be a very major concern?
http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-te ... microsoft/

Was Windows 10 devised in conjunction with various Alphabet soup agencies? NSA springs to mind

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:53 pm

:!: I don't believe it................. Its WORKED :!:

Acer Aspire 5755G from Win 7 to Win 10.

Having spent DAYS early part of last week this one failed every time, jumped through all the hoops/fixes posted on the techie sites ,told the owner no way will this one work........ :oops:

Had some good vibes this morning, the sun was shining, the air cool, had a new road bike to setup so thought give this Acer another go.........fired it up with all the user stuff still running (having done yet another IMAGE BACKUP beforehand), used the install TOOL (as I'd switched all the UPGRADE stuff off)
Pressed GO and left it to do its thing......and it did............. :D :D

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:24 pm

firsttango wrote: Worryingly even if you disable all the relevant settings your privacy is still massively compromised! For the majority who are not tech savvy enough to fiddle around disabling settings this must/should be a very major concern?

Was Windows 10 devised in conjunction with various Alphabet soup agencies? NSA springs to mind
It is a major concern, first because this allows for hackers to exploit it on a massively new scale (it will make it very difficult for you to notice if you have been hacked), and secondly Microsoft reserves the right to go through your computer at any time they feel it is necessary. That means they will have the right and perhaps the ability to do so even if there is no lawful warrant.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:21 pm

Enrique wrote:Hi Miro,
Skype uninstall using Revouninstaller, Reboot , download and install a Clean version.

IE...........more later
Well, not had any further problem with Skype so will leave well alone. Still curious why there are bits of IE left over that can't be removed. Not that it really matters. Had no further issues, and it certainly boots up and shuts down quicker than W7 did.
I disabled all the aforementioned privacy settings during set up, but have read with interest the stuff on the issue of security. Sounds a bit worrying for sure, but is it really any worse than the information that the likes of Google and Facebook already routinely collect without the average punter really being aware?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.