Do I need an android box or a Smart DNS download?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
grumpfish
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Do I need an android box or a Smart DNS download?

Postby grumpfish » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:59 pm

If it is streamed to a MAG I guess so however isn't most things in Spain. I just like to point out that I am not supplying SKY. But on that subject isn't freeview UKTV channels paid for by UK residents.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:51 pm

There is a fundamental difference between watching something that is free and paying for pirated channels and content. Basically the person who is collecting the subscriptions is committing fraud.

Viewing free content is not illegal.

Paying for SKY outside the UK isn't illegal either. However, it is against their terms and conditions so might be legal to cut you off but even this isn't clear as the EU is reviewing the restriction of rights across borders.

Be careful of what the Spanish authorities accept as well because they are tightening up the laws as well and some pirated sights are being closed down here as well.

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:24 pm

Thank you all for your replies to my query.

I believe from your replies that I only need to download a Smart DNS service and I’m opting for the Smart DNS download.
If my assumption is incorrect please let me know!

Thanks

grumpfish
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby grumpfish » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:30 am

markwilding wrote:There is a fundamental difference between watching something that is free and paying for pirated channels and content. Basically the person who is collecting the subscriptions is committing fraud.

Viewing free content is not illegal.

Paying for SKY outside the UK isn't illegal either. However, it is against their terms and conditions so might be legal to cut you off but even this isn't clear as the EU is reviewing the restriction of rights across borders.

Be careful of what the Spanish authorities accept as well because they are tightening up the laws as well and some pirated sights are being closed down here as well.
Viewing license channels paid for in the UK by UK citizens being viewed outside the UK is okay then?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:15 am

avellana wrote:Thank you all for your replies to my query.

I believe from your replies that I only need to download a Smart DNS service and I’m opting for the Smart DNS download.
If my assumption is incorrect please let me know!

Thanks
Avellana, sadly your thread seems to have become highjacked by the MAG250 crusader.

To recap. As Enrique has said, you will not be able to get the UK catchup channels on your Phillips TV as it is not possible to change the location of the App Store. If it is a Spanish supplied TV, that is the case. If it is a UK supplied TV then the UK apps should be there, but you will not be able to access them in Spain without hiding your location, for which you will need a Smart DNS service.

Incidentally, I was not aware that Philips offered anything other than BBC iPlayer - Samsung still seems to be the only maker who can offer all four UK catchup services.

If your Smart TV is not as smart as you were hoping, as I have already said, the NOWTV box is the cheapest and easiest way of getting all the UK catchup services and live BBC and ITV as well. The NOWTV box will have the same problems if used outside the UK, but a Smart DNS service should solve that. The DNS settings will have to be implemented in the router as the NOWTV box does not allow you to change the settings.

Incidentally, a Smart DNS service is not downloaded. You sign up online and you will be given a set of new DNS numbers which you can use in any of your devices or in your router. Typical cost about €3 a month.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:05 am

Most smart DNS companies give at least a week 's free to try them out.

grumpfish
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby grumpfish » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:47 am

El Cid wrote:[

Avellana, sadly your thread seems to have become highjacked by the MAG250 crusader.
Sid. I have not hijacked anything I have merely answered with a perfectly good solution as have you however, I believe the MAG is a much easier box to setup and use.

Phil

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:50 am

El Cid wrote: You keep pushing this MAG250 box at every opportunity, but I am not sure if anyone on this forum uses one or is even interested in using one or is even capable of using one. Anyone out there who does?

Hola
I currently use a Droidsticks box but am interested in the Mag250, so please keep the discussion going. As I see it, the Nowtv box needs a VPN / DNS at a small monthly cost and gives you live BBC & ITV channels. There is also the catchup services.

The Mag250 box can be set up to do all the Nowtv box can do plus more TV channels

If incorrect then please correct the statements

Davexf

grumpfish
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby grumpfish » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:00 am

Hi Davexf,

Indeed you are correct. I do offer members free live freeview channels if you have a MAG250. Like the NOWTV you can have other channels at an addition cost. For the MAG250 you can find a supplier of additional channels from UK, Scandi, Greman, Russian, French, USA etc but that would be your choice.

Phil

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:04 am

dxf wrote:

The Mag250 box can be set up to do all the Nowtv box can do plus more TV channels
I don't think anyone is disputing that.

This thread was started because Avellana was having difficulty getting UK TV catchup on her TV. Apart from the small cost involved in a DNS/VPN the NOWTV box is arguably the best box to solve that problem as that was was it was designed for and it is fully supported by the UK broadcasters unlike most other boxes.

As for the cost element of the DNS, that would be the same using a Smart TV.

If you want to discuss the specifics of the MAG250, then there is a perfectly good thread specifically about it, so can you please use that unless there is anything that you wish to add that is specific to this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=32469#p331654

Sid

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:27 am

Sid,
I am interested because my non-smart TV is ageing and will need replacing. The question of what to buy next is as I see it a simple non-smart TV plus a set top box of some sort because smart TVs are not up to the standard of separate units. The question is what sort of TV programs do you want to watch.

You promotion of the Nowtv box seems to be based mainly on the one-off cost; I tried my brothers Apple TV box whilst in Canada and found it restricting.

The ex-pat TV market is a constantly changing item, so it pays to read these threads to be able to get half decent TV

Davexf

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:39 am

I would question your comment about Smart TVs.

The latest Samsung models have a huge number of apps including all the UK apps if you change the country setting. The built in Internet browser opens up even more possibilities. An on-screen keyboard from a touch sensitive remote control (like an air mouse) that also accepts speech commands and with some models even controlled by hand gestures (the mind boggles).

Some have cameras for Skype etc. and they have powerful quad core processors. You would be hard pushed to get all those options in a set top box.

Incidentally, you will find it increasingly difficult to find a non Smart TV these days, only the smaller, cheaper models don't have Smart features.

Set top boxes do give the owner of a non smart TV a cheap upgrade path to a "nearly" Smart TV which may be the route that the OP chooses.

Yes, The Apple TV is pretty useless apart from the Airplay option - which is the reason why I bought one. However, there is supposed to be a new one due later this year, which will be a vast improvement as it is rumoured to have access to all the App Store apps which of course should include the usual TV apps.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:37 am

El Cid wrote:I would question your comment about Smart TVs.

Some have cameras for Skype etc. and they have powerful quad core processors. You would be hard pushed to get all those options in a set top box.
Apart from hand gestures My RKM android set top box has all the options you mention

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:29 pm

I don't have a smart TV yet and now want to buy one. I'm looking at a Samsung but I would like to go for one of the newer J series.
My question is has any one tried to change to app's country settings on one of these?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:39 pm

There aren't many of them about at the moment and I haven't seen any hacks on the usual sites.

The H series is still around, I bought a 40UEH6400 this week and had no problems changing it over. It's for the bedroom and I only have the native apps and another NowTV box attached - no antenna, no satellite connection.

The J series has a completely different Smart Hub running under a new OS called Tizen so it could well be a problem. That's why I went for the H series. Frankly, it's difficult to see what more they can add over the old one unless you are looking for a curved screen and 4K resolution.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:49 pm

El Cid wrote: unless you are looking for a curved screen and 4K resolution.
:lol: 8) 8) :thumbup:

I might need to buy it from the UK

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:59 pm

You wouldn't be disappointed Mark. They take viewing to another level. If we watched enough TV to justify one I'd get one today, however we don't. :(
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:50 pm

The problem with the latest 4K sets is that there is so little available at that resolution. Netfix is doing some 4k stuff, but of course that needs a very high speed connection - which Mark has.

I saw an 85" set in El Corte Ingles showing some demo stuff and it was truly amazing but it was €25k.

Eventually we will all have access and they will cost about €1000. Prices are getting so low - I bought a Samsung BluRay player with all the Internet goodies for €58 last week. It's not so long ago that they were hundreds.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:08 pm

Yep,we were in Costco the other day and the sets available for what can only be described as "very cheap" as opposed to just 10-12 years back was amazing.

Clarity now on some of these super sized screens is incredible.
However another thing I'd also look at if I were in the market for a very large screen would be a projector.

One of my hifi contacts has some swish projector and screen setup all running off a laptop, over a 100" picture and viewable without the need for blackout curtains, very,very impressive I've got to say. The system does the lot.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:30 pm

I'm thinking around 48". El Corte Ingles has more or less what I want, I just have to convince the other half, who gets a little bit fed up with all my chopping and changing.
I know there isn't much content at present but as more and more come online, I would like to access some of it.
It appears The Champions league and EPL on BT Sport next season will also be in 4K but only if you live in the UK. YouTube also has content so that and a foray into Netflix will have to be enough for the time being.
What I might do is buy one, see if I can change the settings. if not, I'll take it back and get one from the UK.
I think a softening up dinner, chocolate and flowers are on the cards over the next couple of weeks. :angel: :angel: