Do I need an android box or a Smart DNS download?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
avellana
Resident

Do I need an android box or a Smart DNS download?

Postby avellana » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:43 am

I hope someone can give me a non-technical answer as I'm struggling to understand what I need!
I've got a Phillips Smart TV and I'm mainly interested in receiving BBC1, 2, 3, 4, ITV and channel 4 but usually as catch-up services.
So do I just need a Smart DNS service?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Do I need an android box or a Smart DNS download?

Postby markwilding » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:49 am

Are you able to access the UK TV apps on the TV?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:12 am

Hi avellana,

"There is currently no way to change region on a Phillips TV"..............Came across this.

Most posts on the Web talk about using Smart DNS to change "location"

There are Free Trials on various ones.................Example

http://www.unblocknetflix.net/unblock-n ... -smart-tv/
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

grumpfish
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby grumpfish » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:33 am

You could always use a MAG250.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=32469#p331654

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:41 am

NowTV is clearly the best and cheapest option if you cannot get the UK catchup apps on the TV.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=34157

A MAG250 box is expensive and usually involves an expensive monthly subscription.

Sid

grumpfish
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby grumpfish » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:51 am

Not that expensive to buy and if you read the post I supplied I am happy to supply a server that people can use. So they would only have the cost of a MAG250 which they can buy themselves.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:17 am

A NOWTV costs £10 - compared to that a MAG250 is VERY expensive.

I am beginning to suspect that you have a commercial interest in what you are proposing.

Sid

grumpfish
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby grumpfish » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:35 am

No commercial aspect. How on earth can that be. Buy your own MAG250 and I deliver free UKTV. Some commercial benefit. I'll make loads of money.

grumpfish
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby grumpfish » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:03 am

Just to clear up some points for El Cid,

I am retired and living in Spain. My background is in technology, and have worked for mainly IBM & IBM business partners providing support and client solutions. I thought by sharing my knowledge and providing an easy to use, trouble free solution that works for everyone anywhere of all ages then it would be better than a cheap possible troublesome solution.

At the end of the day people just want to turn the TV on and select the channel and it works and not have to worry about is the router setup correct, is the DNS working.

The other point is that you have additional costs to support NOWTV. Cost of a VPN or DNS, Cost of a router possibly and then you have to understand how to set it all up.

By the way I'm not having a go I'm just justifying my comments.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:32 pm

Obviously, you have made some valid points but the problem remains the same, anything relying on XMBC will have problems because of the limited support. Basically, It receives updates as a reaction to a change to the main APP rendering it useless until a programmer has the time to update it. Often instructions are hard to follow as the techies never seem to take into account some people just don't understand some of the terminologies.

The other problem is watching Filmon on a large screen. The quality is awful.

On the other hand, Once the DNS is set up on NOW TV, everything else is automatic.( All smart DNS website have simple to follow instructions on how to set it up on a router) The quality as far superior especially the BBC's catch-up content. Any update is tested before it appears on the dedicated home page meaning XMBC is not needed

Anybody technically minded can hack it to give it other functions but for the layman, you just switch it on and choose what you want to watch.

USINSPAIN
Resident

Postby USINSPAIN » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:20 pm

How can us non technically minded improve the brilliant NOWTV boxes, I can follow step by step instructions
Thank you

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:46 pm

so do you need internet access for Nowtv?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:40 pm

Yes, so speeds have to be taken into consideration and the DNS settings can't be changed so they need to be setup on the router.It doesn't have ethernet either so it connects via WIFI.

I have heard that a new version might be coming out soon with more features such as full HD support. At the moment it's limited to 720p.

They are basically Roku boxes but subsidised by SKY. Once your account is setup, it's possible to dip in and out of SKY services as and when you want.

For example if you don't like football but do cricket, you might just want to subscribe for the duration of a series or tournament at 10.99 for a week and then stop paying, instead of having to pay the entire year just to watch 3 -4 weeks worth of your favourite sport.

grumpfish
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby grumpfish » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:49 pm

Go for a MAG250 freeview TV and then subscribe for a month for premium tv as and when you want. £10.99 a week for NOWTV wow. 30euros or less for the month for full sky TV.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:04 pm

grumpfish wrote:Go for a MAG250 freeview TV and then subscribe for a month for premium tv as and when you want. £10.99 a week for NOWTV wow. 30euros or less for the month for full sky TV.
You keep pushing this MAG250 box at every opportunity, but I am not sure if anyone on this forum uses one or is even interested in using one or is even capable of using one. Anyone out there who does?

Now TV is free to use - if you choose to buy a Sky Pass, yes, it costs but I don't think most users bother. They just use it for free catchup TV and live TV on BBC and ITV for an effective one time cost of £10.

I think you need to tone down your crusade to promote the MAG250 box as I cannot see any great response from any members of this forum towards going down that route. If anyone feels differently, please say so.

If there is no positive response, then I would suggest that the MAG250 discussion is no longer worth continuing.

Sid

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:26 pm

Anyone out there who does?
I got one, I got one :P
My BB package includes free TV just buy the box. Having decided to go this route rather than a satellite that has an uncertain future we are more than happy. The quality is fair, much better than anything I have seen on the Android box, and we have 69, menu driven channels with a rudimentary EPG. Senior Management can operate it which is most important. She didn't stand a snowball's chance in He!! with the Android. OK not HD but it'll do.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:16 am

So, it was just a question of buying the box - you didn't have to set it up or use another server?

I know quite a few people who have bought a "managed" IPTV solution that includes a MAG250 box and requires a monthly subscription, but none of them has the slightest idea how the box works - they just want a simple solution and for them it does exactly what they want, but at a high monthly cost.

I am interested to know if anyone has bought a "bare" box and set it up themselves.

I know a number of forum members have gone down the "Android Box" route with varying degrees of success, but in those cases where it has not been a success it has been because it can be less than user friendly at times.

The attraction of the NowTV box is its ease of setup and ease of use even by die hard technophobes!

Sid

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:42 am

Morning,
No just 'plug and play' just what is required. To give you an Idea of the level of problem I face, it has a programmable remote, which I have set up so only the one remote is required, she can't cope with a red on button and a blue one !

grumpfish
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby grumpfish » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:30 am

El Cid wrote:So, it was just a question of buying the box - you didn't have to set it up or use another server?

I know quite a few people who have bought a "managed" IPTV solution that includes a MAG250 box and requires a monthly subscription, but none of them has the slightest idea how the box works - they just want a simple solution and for them it does exactly what they want, but at a high monthly cost.

I am interested to know if anyone has bought a "bare" box and set it up themselves.

I know a number of forum members have gone down the "Android Box" route with varying degrees of success, but in those cases where it has not been a success it has been because it can be less than user friendly at times.

The attraction of the NowTV box is its ease of setup and ease of use even by die hard technophobes!

Sid
The MAG250 is even more simple. The hardest thing you need to do is type in a URL save it and reboot the box. Simples. I know no other system that is this simple and if you want a paid service sure change the URL to a paid service and enjoy Premium Sky TV.

Phil

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:45 pm

Is the subscription to SKY pirated?