Android phone.

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Android phone.

Postby Lyric » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:34 pm

Just got a bill from Orange which is 80€ more than would be usual. On examination it has been texting a premium number about three times a day (1.2€ per) for most of the last month.
Now I am at a loss, I have the number blocked as spam but that seems for incoming only. what else can I do ?

Chunky Monky
Resident

Re: Android phone.

Postby Chunky Monky » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:42 pm

My brother (in the UK) got a new phone and it was costing him about £50 per month. He found out the phone was "dialling home" frequently without his knowledge. There was a setting that he disabled to prevent the phone doing this.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:50 pm

Have you done an anti virus scan? can you block the number as an outgoing?

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:01 pm

Virus negative with avast If I can I can't find it, just block as spam which I presume is inbound.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:06 pm

There are a couple outgoing call blocker applications (with mixed reviews) on the Google Play Store. Have you checked them out. I don't have them installed as I have yet to experience this problem.

https://www.google.com/search?q=android ... gws_rd=ssl
Let's go Brandon!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:29 pm

Go into your local Orange shop, most of them have an English speaking assistant if your Spanish isn't very good.
They should be able to block the number, incoming and/or outgoing for you.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:00 pm

Hi, I swear by an Android app called '"Should I answer?" You can block incoming and outgoing calls with it.

The outgoing call block options are:
Block Calls to negatively rated numbers
Block Calls to Premium Rate numbers
Block Calls to foreign countries

I honestly don't know if it will also block texts though.

Have you signed up for one of those game/ringtone subscriptions? In that case it wouldn't show up in a virus scan.
Try one of the well-known scanners uch as Bitdefender anyway. The trials are often free, payment only after a couple of weeks etc. Should be enough time to sort your phone.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:11 pm

Are you sure he is not just receiving texts? I had this situation once where I signed up to receive a text reply, but ended up paying for each text received.

Sid

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:33 pm

Well the bill says numero destino so I figure it's outgoing. I seem to think only two things have changed around when it started, one was a system update and the other was a game I downloaded, I think that was later than when this started, otherwise there have been no changes.

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:20 pm

Apart from the possibility of the source of the game came from there are also some nasties on facebook amoungst the advertiments.
Most of these you can accidentally click on, meaning to swipe past, click back and all is OK. However, some will sign you up automatically for receiving text messages/sending texts or whatever leading to regular charges on your bill.
It is a frowned on practice and if acted on quickly your service provider can get most of the charges credited back (in our case Vodafone were very helpfull but in Spanish).

As gerryh said, go and see your provider (we did ours over the phone).

We all have the app. "Calls Blacklist" on our phones which blocks calls and texts to already known dodgy numbers and can also block witheld and private numbers. If you want to go extreme it can also block ANY & ALL numbers that are not in your phone's phonebook!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:34 pm

Have you tried entering the number into Google? One of the 'toxic number' lists may well come up with a result.

Do you have online access to your Orange account? There may be a facility to block numbers on the web page.
Let's go Brandon!