Doc Martin

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
TerryC
Resident

Doc Martin

Postby TerryC » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:46 am

Hiya

I've seen the topic regarding Filmon and have got to say I've had few problems. I have a slow connection but use the Downthemall app to get over the slow connection. It works. BTW I pay €9.99 a month to get ten hours of recording so by downloading and then deleting the downloaded programme once complete I can virtually record everything I want to.

However I had one problem last week. I downloaded the first episode of Doc Martin only to find the sound and picture had gone out of sync by about ten seconds. I contacted Filmon but they were not able to help.

Does any body happen to have this programme downloaded and would be willing to send me the file?

I've just finished downloading this weeks episode and it is fine.

Regards - TerryC

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Re: Doc Martin

Postby firsttango » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:55 am

Private Message me your email, and I'll send you an invite to download it from my cloud

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:40 am

I had the same problem; sound was 21 seconds behind the picture. I checked last nights and it's okay. This happened a few weeks ago with an episode of Midsommer. With Filmon the sound is never in perfect synch but it's hardly noticeable.

Incidentally, I never thought about trying to get another copy so I watched it with enormous difficulty and a lot of rewinding.

Did Filmon give a reason for the problem?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:23 pm

Why on earth would anyone pay £9.99 to Filmon for something that should be free?

Pay for a smart DNS server, costing around 3.50 euros a month, then buy a Now TV box, which is optimised for slower internet speeds and watch it on demand.

There is a new box but it still only costs 15 Pounds. for more or less what you are paying I have The Sky movies package as well as Sky one, ITV drama etc plus all the BBC channels live and on demand, ITV channels live and on demand as well as channel 4 and 5 on demand.

Smart DNS companies have a list on their sites of what they support, which include many American entertainment sites such as Hulu, CBS, fox. with tons more content

With a free VPN, it's possible to watch on the PC completely free. If you have slow internet speeds, just download to the computer overnight and watch the next day.

At the moment, there is the added bonus of being able to watch any free English Premier League with English commentary from Stars Sports India, which is Geoblocked but most Smart DNS servers unblock it.
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:33 pm

You're off TOPIC Mark be careful this thread is only for Doc Martin :lol:

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:12 pm

I used to pay for the extra recording space with Film on but now I have My Player Pro and all major TV programmes have Plus 1. Together with BBC I player and Itv Player no need to pay any more. I must say, however I always found Film on quite helpful when I had problems, but really pleased to have finally been able to watch for free.

TerryC
Resident

Postby TerryC » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:16 am

Mark

I use Filmon and am willing to pay €9.99 because for 99% of the time it works without any problems.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:03 pm

Fair enough.
But as with everything, you should review your needs every now again to make sure your getting the best deals and value for money.

TerryC
Resident

Postby TerryC » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:59 pm

FirstTango thank you so much for your help. I've now downloaded Doc Martin and it is working perfectly so we can look forward to seeing that in the near future.

You're a STAR.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:57 pm

Glad to help

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:49 pm

Surely the easiest way is to download it and watch it whenever you can/want. Failing that watch it via xbmc.

why pay filmon?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:57 pm

No, the easiest way, as Mark said, is save up £15 and buy a NOWTV box and pay about €3 for a SmartDNS and get much higher quality and catchup on all channels.

Sid

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:32 am

If you go down the NOW tv box route and change the settings in your router I understand this will give HD streaming of live tv for bbc and itv which is great.it will also give catch up for bbc,itv, c4 and 5 again fine.

What implications would changing the router settings have when trying to use a spanish based tv service eg BEIN Sports or other channels from the Total channel platform?

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:26 am

i dont agree, I am reluctant to change the settings of the router, not everyone is techno savy to "fool" the router on location.

Also not everyone is happy to pay for services online, especially from non known tech companies. Also paying for something regularly for a free product may grate on some people.

Also not everyone flies back to the uk to buy these boxes (forgetting online option)

If you really want it easy and HD watch it live on satellite. The sat box cost around €100

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:41 am

Hi,

1) If you can use a Browser then you can login to your router to Change DNS settings. If you need the procedure Post Make and Model and we can give instructions............. :idea:
2) You're not "fooling your location" using a SmartDNS...your IP will will remain the same you're just being initially Routed through the SmartDNS sever.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:39 am

Nobody would disagree watching via satellite is not a viable option and there is probably no better way of watching live TV but the problem in this thread was how to watch it later.

It could also be said, a non computer savvy person should not really be mucking around with torrents either because of the risks of downloading a virus.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:37 pm

DL a TV program is very easy in my opinion. I've never had a problem with viruses. If your program is MP4 or AVI just tranfer that file to video and delete the rest. No need to open anything not even the actual video file, just stick it on a USB and plug to a tv.

If you keep the usual protection up to date its reduces the risk even further.

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:56 pm

Hi Enrique I understand the way to change the DNS on the router via the browser - thanks.

Is what your saying about the ISP confirming that if i also wish to watch football on BEIN sports (spanish subscription) in Spain it will still work and not think I am in UK due to the DNS settings?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:05 pm

Hi snorbs,
I think it will be OK as your IP doesn't change with SmartDNS, unlike other offerings that give you a UK or whatever country IP you care to choose.

At the worst case you can quickly change your Router back to Default as you pointed out.......... 8)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:30 pm

snorbs wrote:Hi Enrique I understand the way to change the DNS on the router via the browser - thanks.

Is what your saying about the ISP confirming that if i also wish to watch football on BEIN sports (spanish subscription) in Spain it will still work and not think I am in UK due to the DNS settings?
As long as you are in Spain, you'll be able to watch Bein Spain. The smart DNS servers do not affect sites they don't support unlike a VPN.
If your just looking for EPL, Star sports have it for free. It is geoblocked but most smart DNS servers support it, No champions league though.