VPN for BBC iPlayer

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
sampedrena
Resident

VPN for BBC iPlayer

Postby sampedrena » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:04 pm

Until the last week or so - and following various Updates to my Tablets (Samsung & Hudl2) I have been very successfully using Cyberghost to access BBC iPlayer and to download from BBC Radio Player. Since then however, Cyberghost has ceased to work for the BBC - although it continues to be fine for ITV, C4, C5 etc. Has anyone else had this problem? Also can anyone recommend a (free) VPN that will work with BBC iPlayer and Radio Player?
La vida es un espejo, si sonries ella te sonrie

vinuela vinny
Resident

Re: VPN for BBC iPlayer

Postby vinuela vinny » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:51 am

Hi

Over the years, we have used a succession of free vpn's to access the various iPlayers, and all regularly failed us, so we came to the conclusion that you only get what you pay for.....

Three or four years ago, we subscribed to https://www.streamvia.com/ (no connection with us, just satisfied customers) and we have had no problems since.....

Hope this helps

Vincent

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:10 am

V V is quite right - most free options are less than satisfactory - you do get what you pay for. Using a SmartDNS is preferable to a VPN for a simple problem like BBC iPlayer. VPNs have a tendency to slow down the connection.

I use SmartyDNS.com. You can usually just change the DNS settings in the device or put it in the router.

It costs €3/mth for a 12 month contract. They also do a 2 week free trial.

Sid

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:38 am

There is a recent note on BBC iPlayer Help that states that if a VPN is detected iPlayer will reject the connection. They acknowledge that some in UK are using a VPN for purposes other than spoofing location but say something to the effect of 'that's tough, you'll just have to switch the VPN off'.
Brian.

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:04 pm

Thanks for the replies. It seems as if I'll have to get the wallet out! I will try and check how to enter the DNS into the actual tablets - as I don't want to mess with the router (that's a step too far for me - and also previous experience was that it slowed down the connection considerably which would not be good for IPTV)

Once again, many thanks.
La vida es un espejo, si sonries ella te sonrie

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:51 pm

It's a very simple process and all the Smart DNS servers have step by step instructions on how to do it on their websites.

ashwinparkar

Postby ashwinparkar » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:00 pm

I was also used CyberGhost free VPN service which provides 500mb data usage and had a great experience with the service. There are many more services available on the search engine. I am using PureVpn which is cheap and provide the best service you can also read a review here https://www.vpnranks.com/bbc-iplayer-vpn/

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:14 pm

Is this a blatant advert for Pure VPN?
I So Bella tis you

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:48 pm

Possibly. Like Sid (in fact, following his recommendation) I'm using Smarty. Around special holiday events (Valentine's, in my case), Smarty have ridiculously cheap offers. I think I got the year for $27. DNS is faster than VPN but it offers both. There was a long stretch over the summer when iplayer blocked it, but it's working now.

Nobody can legit (but many do) claim to always evade iplayer blocking. BBC spends a lot of its time hunting them down and quite successfully.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:41 pm

Why should a recommendation for Pure VPN be any more of a blatant advert than a recommendation for Smarty DNS?

I use Pure VPN and have done for several years with consistently good service and instant responses to queries and I recently took up an offer of a five year subscription for $60 but perhaps this is just another 'blatant advert'.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:19 pm

Rein it in a bit. Good to know, but can't blame Paul for flagging a 1-poster, location Canada, bigging up a service and including a link. Might be a tin of chopped pork and ham.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:14 pm

Beachcomber wrote:Why should a recommendation for Pure VPN be any more of a blatant advert than a recommendation for Smarty DNS?

I use Pure VPN and have done for several years with consistently good service and instant responses to queries and I recently took up an offer of a five year subscription for $60 but perhaps this is just another 'blatant advert'.
Simply because the poster has only ever made ONE post and is Located in Canada,and posted a direct link, just seemed not kosher and I Just thought that was frowned upon?
and the people who recommend Smart dns services on here all live here and post with their experiences.
I So Bella tis you

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:15 pm

1bassleft wrote:Rein it in a bit. Good to know, but can't blame Paul for flagging a 1-poster, location Canada, bigging up a service and including a link. Might be a tin of chopped pork and ham.
cheers Mate
I So Bella tis you

brimsham
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brimsham » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:18 am

I use SmartDNS at home and for travelling PrivateVPN as it unlocks Netflix which SmartDNS's VPN doesn't.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:53 am

SmartDNS unlocks the USA version of Netflix

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:46 pm

After reading I1bassleft’s post,had a look at Smarty DNS and got a year’s subscription for 14 euros.
It might be worth looking at them if you had like me a subscription with them before because they might be trying to win back confidence in their service.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:52 pm

Cracking deal, sadly its back at 49.99 euros.....must have been available for a very brief window of time
I So Bella tis you

brimsham
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brimsham » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:59 pm

markwilding wrote:SmartDNS unlocks the USA version of Netflix
SorryI meant UK Netflix, there are a few not many shows on the UK site that are not on the American one.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:29 am

markwilding wrote:After reading I1bassleft’s post,had a look at Smarty DNS and got a year’s subscription for 14 euros.
It might be worth looking at them if you had like me a subscription with them before because they might be trying to win back confidence in their service.
Very well done, there. On other threads, I've read of people holding more than one DNS/VPN account (at that sort of price, certainly worth considering) so that there is a fallback if Auntie gets a block in on the one you're using. A bit unlucky if both are down at the same time, law of probabilities etc.

Oddly, Mrs 1bl (who has pilfered my Lenovo and does all the telly-watching) has had no iplayer-Smarty problems except for watching a sporting event - the cycling world championships. Don't ask me why she is so keen to watch blokes in lycra shorts, I have no idea, but it seemed odd that this programme got the "you can't see it in your country" when ordinary programmes played with no issue. It wasn't just the usual timing restrictions that some sports get - even in the UK for MOTD - but a definite "nice try, but you're not in Blighty" stopper.

As mentioned above, the DNS/VPN is useful for more than paella+Pointless parties. Mrs 1bl watches French TV on it and insisted I carry the Lenovo back to the UK so she could continue. I point-blank refused on the 2nd trip back and got the silent treatment.
EDIT: I should mention that I wrote down all the faff userID + password stuff and got it running in the UK on another PC and ISP, so it can be done.

Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evelyn » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:08 pm

I have never paid for VPN and never have had a problem accessing BBCIPlayer. Always use free on tv, Ipad and android tablet.