Windows 10 version 1511 Update

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Windows 10 version 1511 Update

Postby Enrique » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:56 pm

Hi,
Anyone having "fun" with the above Update............. :?:

Some light reading...........

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-1 ... ssues-bugs

Loads more issues Posts on the Web............ :problem:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Windows 10 version 1511 Update

Postby gerryh » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:54 am

I'm using it on my desktop and one of my laptops.
No problems found here so far. :thumbup:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:30 am

Nor here...

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:13 am

Hi Enrique

This is an excellent link - thank you.....

We had great difficulty upgrading to Windows 10 1511 - the upgrade failed several times, but the solution was down to us..... We had to disconnect all peripherals (printer, flash drives, SD cards, etc), disconnect the firewall, and ensure that all previous upgrades (even optionals) had been completed, and then it went through as smoothly as it should, and (touch wood) no issues so far......

A question on a related topic..... We have another older laptop running Windows 7, with 2gb ram, and a hard drive of 250gb, with two partitions (one with 37gb free [of 116gb] and the other with 109gb free). It already runs relatively slowly, but is it worth upgrading to Win 10? Would it be worthwhile changing the partition sizes first to give more space on the main one? Any thoughts welcomed.....

All the best to the Festive Season to everyone out there - do have a good one!

Vincent

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:31 am

Every time there's an update, I lose the sound. I have to reset every time.
Dave

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:45 pm

Hi vinuela vinny,
Some home work first...........
Check you have patch/update KB3035583 installed , it may be an optional update.
This will give you the Windows 10 icon in the system tray
Right click on it and "Check your upgrade status."
It will report back on if its possible and if there are any programs that may have problems.

Interest note...........
I've run Windows 10 on a Acer Atom 2GB memory 32bit system and it compared in speed to a Windows 7 system running on same system.

Do you really want Windows 10.......... :?:

Make the 250GB disk one partition and clean reinstall Windows 7..........you will find it will be back to being FAST.

Report back on the way you want to go.........also what is the Make and Model........some of them are not liking Windows 10......... :evil:

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:37 am

Hi Enrique

Apologies for the delay in responding, but the family were here over Christmas, and there was just no time to do anything, and certainly no possibility on concentrating properly...... Anyway here we are now......

Thanks very much for your thoughts and advice - always very welcome!

We are still thinking of progressing the Windows 10 1511 update on our old laptop, and we are inclined to do so in due course, so that we have the latest (and thus safest?) operating system..... The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L500-1Z5 2.2ghz Laptop with 2gb ram, 250gb hard drive, serial 3A743483K......

We've looked at the partitions, and must admit that we are reluctant to move the data on 'D' just in case we do something wrong, so we are reluctant to delete that partition. So instead we shrank the 'D' partition by 100gb, but then found that we cannot increase the 'C' partition by the same amount - the option is greyed-out, and from googling the problem, we wonder if the two partitions are not contiguous? Anyway, we increased the 'D' partition back to it's normal size, while we cogitate again on the options. We have seen free software on the internet that will supposedly overcome the issue, but are again reluctant and prefer to use the inbuilt microsoft option. Masterly inactivity for us yet again.......

As always, any thoughts welcomed......

Thank you for your kind support over the past year, and for that of other posters. And all the best for 2016

Vincent

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:16 pm

Hi vinuela vinny,
1) Get yourself a USB external disk drive of 1TB -2TB, the 2TB are better value, Seagate and Toshiba ones only use one USB 3 cable to connect to the System.

2) Use Windows 7 or Reflect (Free) to get an Image copy of both Partitions to the External drive, also get a further Image copy of the D Partition to the external drive.

3)Using Disk Management (Windows 7) delete D partition, then the Unallocated space can be used to expand the C partition.

4) For restoring the D partition files you will need to have a read of the Following ........
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/34630/ho ... tem-image/

5) A bit messy the above, so doing a Directory copy from D to the external drive will be an easy option but take longer.

6) You have the new C drive with the D Data, do an Image of that.

7) Now you're ready to do an Upgrade to windows 10 if the Laptop is the "right" spec.

8) Run Windows 10 and get a feel if its for you on that system, then upgrade to version 1511.

If it all goes pear shaped in 7 or 8 you can get back to 6............ :D

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:19 pm

Hi Enrique

Wow! You have obviously expended much time and effort in putting together a way forward for us, and we now feel guilty that the whole thing might have been a bit too much for our limited technical nous.....

So, a full confession.....

Yesterday, we took what we considered the easy route - moved 10gb of back-up photos from our C drive to a free cloud storage, and then downloaded Windows 10, which went perfectly, and works very well. We now have a 116gb C drive with 34gb free, and a 116gb D drive with 108gb free, operating on Windows 10, to what we consider a fair speed for a five year old laptop. This laptop is only used as a back-up for our main laptop, and will continue to be used only sporadically until we replace the main laptop, likely in three or four years time. In these circumstances, we have decided not to mess with the partitions, and to let sleeping dogs lie - sorry Enrique for your wasted time, but hopefully your excellent might be useful to some other lurker......

Perhaps if ever andalucia.com organise a social event, we can buy you a pint?

Very best regards

Vincent

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:49 pm

Hi vinuela vinny,

Good to hear you had a lucky day and the "upgrade" went OK.

I still think Windows 7 will be MS's best OS.......when they look back....... :angel:

You could move that 8GB from the D drive to the Cloud or C drive , delete the D partition and expand the C partition.

Not a wasted time for me as I'll put my answer in my "Saved Replies" (formally know a Canned Responses) directory........... :D

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:17 pm

Thanks Enrique for being so generous - much appreciated as always.....

As you say, Windows 7 never gave us any problem, as Windows XP before it, but it's just the thought of future lack of support from Microsoft that worries us a bit....

We'll give some more thought to your suggestion re the D drive, and might just do as you suggest - it does seem a simple solution, but I'm afraid that masterly inactivity is our default setting, on the basis that if it ain't broke, etc.......

Our problem these days since we both finished working, is that we can no longer wander into the IT Department (me a national Housing Association, and my wife the local Council) and ask the experts there for help and advice, perhaps costing a convivial pub lunch or a couple of drinks after work, but always well worth the effort and investment; and that's why your impartial help (and that of others!) on this forum is so useful. We do appreciate, and trust that others do too....

Vincent

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:52 pm

vinuela vinny wrote:

As you say, Windows 7 never gave us any problem, as Windows XP before it, but it's just the thought of future lack of support from Microsoft that worries us a bit....
Microsoft is committed to support W7 until 2020 so you should have no problems.

If you are happy with W7 stay with it.

I am sure that the reason that MS is pushing W10 so hard is that they will eventually charge a monthly fee for you to use it. They are giving it away at the moment to get people to commit to it. They are now suggesting in the media that it is dangerous to continue using W7 which has been rubbished by the technical press who clearly are aware that this is a con as the support for W7 will continue until 2020.

Sid

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:16 am

El Cid wrote:
Microsoft is committed to support W7 until 2020 so you should have no problems.
Thanks Sid, I hadn't realised that
El Cid wrote:
I am sure that the reason that MS is pushing W10 so hard is that they will eventually charge a monthly fee for you to use it. They are giving it away at the moment to get people to commit to it.
But I hadn't grasped that, and it does make me think whether or not MS would be wise to charge a fee - be it monthly or even annually - for a new operating system. MS's past policy (and that of others) since DOS in the 1980's, to bundle the operating system with new devices, seems to have broadly enabled them to retain market share, and I had thought that their new policy of giving (free for the first twelve months) the new operating system to existing users, was just a method to getting as many users as possible on their latest system without having to upgrade their device

I for one would be very reluctant to pay for an operating system, no matter how many bells and whistles it might have; and I would have thought a mass migration back to as you say, to the reliable W7, would have emerged? Difficult to predict the future though......

Thanks for pointing-out the possibility though - definitely one to watch.....

Vincent

PS As I have said several times before, the quality of advice on this forum is excellent - keep up the good work, you experts!

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:29 pm

Two of our pcs still use win7 but our laptops use win8.1. The reason is 8.1 boot up faster than win7 (with SSD drive). With normall use ie. internet music etc. the laptops behave like tablets. I wouldn't upgrade to win10 until MS publicly explain their pricing policy. I don't believe they are giving it for free and future updates will require payment. I noticed the pay yearly for the MS Office didn't work so they now re sale their Office as outright own version in amazon.