Dns or vpn

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Dns or vpn

Postby markwilding » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:45 am

That sounds like it's not set up properly on the router. It's working on the TV because you have it set up on it but not on the the PC because you don't on that.

You need to change both DNS settings on the router.
Last edited by markwilding on Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:57 pm

El Cid wrote: Absolutely pointless. You will have to change the DNS in the second router so why waste effort when you can change the DNS in the Movistar router?
Probably pointless in this case, but there are plenty of legit reasons to plug in another BETTER router because the Movistar router sucks, the Wifi is slow, not very powerful and it has only 13 channels.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:16 pm

Sorry, not true. If you plug a good router into a crap router you achieve nothing. Better to dispose of the Movistar router and buy a decent one.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:56 pm

It might not make a difference to the bandwidth as your supplier should give you a router than can support super fast broadband. Where it will make a difference is how far the signal will extend to. The better the router, the further its reach

Cable broadband means a cable broadband router is needed, which isn't easy to find on the high street. Mine is connected with coaxial cable so its easier to connect from the cable broadband router to the TP-Link one with Ethernet.

IP conflicts can be a problem so I set the cable broadband one up as a modem only .

LITTLEMO
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LITTLEMO » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:49 pm

I use an amazon firestick that has been loaded with Kodi and sphinx and get the uk channels plus more. No need for a vpn. No idea how it was done a techie guy done it for me. No need for a vpn and works a treat in spain and uk.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:36 pm

That's because you don't need any VPN or DNS to watch filmon on Kodi. However, can you watch the IPlayer etc.?
If not, the problem will be the streaming quality.
Last edited by markwilding on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LITTLEMO
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LITTLEMO » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:51 pm

I have to admit I have not used the iPlayer so I don't know as I don't watch a lot. Whilst the quality of picture is not hd quality I am more than satisfied with this solution for what I need and there are a lot of up to date films I can get with the sphinx ivu movies, the quality is very good. I also use the Kodi for Netflix. I don't think I would be totally happy with this solution if I was using it on a regular basis but it is perfect for me when I am over in Spain.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:31 pm

El Cid wrote:Sorry, not true. If you plug a good router into a crap router you achieve nothing. Better to dispose of the Movistar router and buy a decent one.

Sid
Eh, no. If the Wifi sucks, you can connect a cable between the Movistar router and the Wifi router.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:36 pm

LITTLEMO wrote: I also use the Kodi for Netflix. I don't think I would be totally happy with this solution if I was using it on a regular basis but it is perfect for me when I am over in Spain.
I use Kodi too, it is particularly good for the latest films.

Is Netflix free or do you need to pay a subscription for it?

LITTLEMO
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LITTLEMO » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:30 am

Chunky monky, I'm not sure this is available just with Kodi or if it is the additional add ons -(sphinx tv) that I have. I don't subscribe to Netflix. I use a different method.

Select Kodi, TV Shows, all programmes, most watched and a list will come up. Give it a go.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:32 pm

LITTLEMO Thanks I'll give it a try.

USINSPAIN
Resident

Postby USINSPAIN » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:05 pm

just tried to use Netflix it will not let me in saying I must have a Unblocker or proxy and I have to switch them off. Only thing I use is a DNS in my router and on my laptop, any way round this problem.
Thank you

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:09 pm

For the moment switch it off and use the Spanish Netflix.

USINSPAIN
Resident

Postby USINSPAIN » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:03 pm

Problem is the netflix account is in my sons name in UK I am just another user so he does not have a DNS can I change my settings here my DNS is unlocator and they are saying to change the Netflix location to USA 1 or 2 and unlocator will have it covered

suzyq
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby suzyq » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Just a quick update and a thanks for advice to my original post. I was unable to change dnssettings on the movistar router but successfully connected a second tp link router and reset dns. I used smart dns and have got now tv. Excellent and a big improvement on the Android box . Thanks

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:13 pm

How far is your router from the NowTV box? I've got an Orange (fibre optic 300mbps) router connected to a TP-Link with SmartyDNS and get terrible buffering sometimes, and occasionally lose the wifi connection altogether. Router to NowTV is less than 10 metres. It's driving me nuts. I've now ordered a set of homeplugs, but don't know why the wifi is so poor.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

suzyq
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby suzyq » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:44 pm

The routers are right next to each other and the now tv box is connected by an Ethernet cable. I have been getting almost perfect picture and sound and up to now no buffering. I do seem to have a very good movistar download.

suzyq
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby suzyq » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:51 pm

Sorry. The now tv box is within 1 metre of tp link router

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:04 pm

OK, if the NowTV is connected by cable it's not dependent on the wifi signal/distance anyway. I'm hoping using the homeplugs will solve my buffering issue. Will report back.
I'm getting up to 280mbps d/l on my PC via the Orange router. Strangely, there's a huge drop if I connect the PC to the secondary router - although it's still more than 30mbps so shouldn't present a problem. But does anyone know why there would be such a huge drop between routers? Surely the smart DNS isn't causing it?

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:07 pm

And another question about DNS:
I have SmartyDNS giving me a UK IP address for the NowTV. So when I open the Vevo app and watch videos, how come it's recommending Spanish videos for me, and how come the ads between vids are Spanish? I have no Vevo account, I am not "logged in", I have no browsing history on any other device. Seems weird - it's like it knows I'm in Spain! But how? :crazy: