Fastest internet without being tied in

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
m5rcc
Tourist

Fastest internet without being tied in

Postby m5rcc » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:24 pm

Hope anyone who perhaps lives here full time can shed any light into this subject.

I come to Spain approximately four times a year for around four weeks per visit. Sadly, despite advances in technology, it would seem that we have now gone backwards in what companies can offer to their customers.

I used to have with T-Mobile UK a wonderful unlimited, worldwide data plan (that allowed tethering) for £15/mth, which was then superseded by the same plan at £4/day (capped at £50/mth as per EU law). This was fine until my tariff expired and I was forced to "upgrade" onto EE which only provides 4G. Their new roaming tariff called is disastrous, charging £4/day but only offering 100mb of 4G data and then 400mb (in 50mb tranches) at pitiful (what seems like) 56k speeds, which is not suitable for my requirements: ideally to be 1GB/day at full 4G speeds (but will accept a decent 3G).

I have explored previously the possibility of getting adsl/fibre/4g via a Spanish provider as long as I have possibility to cancel/freeze the contract (and obviously not pay) when I am not here.

Does anyone know of any such Spanish tariffs? I do recall my friend being able to freeze his Ono Fibre when he's not here but they will charge three months up front. Have seen gerryh's topic here but I think that would require me to pay every month as if I was a full time resident, which I am not.

Any help or advice would be grateful.

northandsouth
Resident

Re: Fastest internet without being tied in

Postby northandsouth » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:43 pm

4G is available part time from several outlets down this end of the coast but you will need to buy the router first. I know many non residents who do just that even for a week. Where are you?

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:47 am

Not to sure where you live, but noticed an advert the other day on our local Coviran wall for these people, although their area of coverage is pretty small and I have absolutely no idea of what they are like?

http://alpujarrawireless.com/servicios

They appear to offer a switch on/off holiday service?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:44 pm

I presume that you were talking about a mobile phone contract, but around Axarquia there are companies that will provide a wireless internet service at your property that you can use just when you are here.

Someone like Nerja Solutions advertise that they will do a PAYG tariff, and I'm sure I know someone that uses Axartel and they are only here a few weeks a year and only pay as they need it (although I can't see that on their website).

You don't say where you are but in Axarquia there are a lot of local free magazines with adverts in for internet providers and it's worth asking if they do a similar PAYG service.

m5rcc
Tourist

Postby m5rcc » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:35 pm

northandsouth wrote:4G is available part time from several outlets down this end of the coast but you will need to buy the router first. I know many non residents who do just that even for a week. Where are you?
I don't mind buying the hardware, but have noticed the tariffs are poorly priced with not much data.

I am actually in Alicante for most of the time but venture to Galicia, Ibiza and Marbella too.

m5rcc
Tourist

Postby m5rcc » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:37 pm

MartinEB wrote:Not to sure where you live, but noticed an advert the other day on our local Coviran wall for these people, although their area of coverage is pretty small and I have absolutely no idea of what they are like?

http://alpujarrawireless.com/servicios

They appear to offer a switch on/off holiday service?

A few Spanish ISPs offer that, but the speeds of this particular offering is not great. Seems to be a 3G service.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:42 pm

m5rcc wrote:
A few Spanish ISPs offer that, but the speeds of this particular offering is not great. Seems to be a 3G service.
They offer speeds from 2mb to 8 mb. Why would anyone on holiday want more than that?

Sid

m5rcc
Tourist

Postby m5rcc » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:46 pm

Wicksey wrote:I presume that you were talking about a mobile phone contract, but around Axarquia there are companies that will provide a wireless internet service at your property that you can use just when you are here.

Someone like Nerja Solutions advertise that they will do a PAYG tariff, and I'm sure I know someone that uses Axartel and they are only here a few weeks a year and only pay as they need it (although I can't see that on their website).

You don't say where you are but in Axarquia there are a lot of local free magazines with adverts in for internet providers and it's worth asking if they do a similar PAYG service.
Have seen something similar including The Sky Doctor but not as a PAYG service

m5rcc
Tourist

Postby m5rcc » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:47 pm

El Cid wrote:
m5rcc wrote:
They offer speeds from 2mb to 8 mb. Why would anyone on holiday want more than that?

Sid
Because I daytrade and obviously the faster the better...

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:07 pm

So what exactly would be the difference in your trading with 8mb as opposed to 40mb? I am genuinely interested. So far the only thing I have come across that needs anything over 25mb is Netflix in 4K.

Sid

m5rcc
Tourist

Postby m5rcc » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:29 pm

El Cid wrote:So what exactly would be the difference in your trading with 8mb as opposed to 40mb? I am genuinely interested. So far the only thing I have come across that needs anything over 25mb is Netflix in 4K.

Sid
A high speed internet connection (and preferably a direct LAN connection) is better because the stock market moves extremely fast and one will be downloading thousands of ticks daily to ones machine and I have noticed that using a 3G connection, albeit tethered, is not a good idea. I've seen day traders' screens lock up as they are putting on trades because their connections are too slow. The difference between seconds and milliseconds can also mean the difference between making and losing money.

With the 4G I have had this time round it was not too bad with a ping of around 20ms and a DL speed of 30meg. In London I have 80meg Fibre with a ping of 5ms and it works fine. In Spain I have had API thresholds breached because of slow connections.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:26 pm

Sorry but if you are on-line trading while 'on holiday' you are one of life's saddos. :)

m5rcc
Tourist

Postby m5rcc » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:34 pm

Lyric wrote:Sorry but if you are on-line trading while 'on holiday' you are one of life's saddos. :)
I never claimed to be 'on holiday'...

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:10 am

m5rcc wrote:
northandsouth wrote:4G is available part time from several outlets down this end of the coast but you will need to buy the router first. I know many non residents who do just that even for a week. Where are you?
I don't mind buying the hardware, but have noticed the tariffs are poorly priced with not much data.

I am actually in Alicante for most of the time but venture to Galicia, Ibiza and Marbella too.
I suppose you could say poorly priced at 60 euros a month, however, the services here are unlimited with no caps and can be switched on and off so you get charged only when you're here. But then again at the time of posting I didn't know your location. Good luck with the search.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:34 am

Lyric wrote:Sorry but if you are on-line trading while 'on holiday' you are one of life's saddos. :)
So if you work while on holiday your a Saddo????? What a riddiculous statement.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:57 pm

Actually if you are moving around Spain then the 4G is best for you in my opinion as you can take it with you and just plug it in to a mains socket and away you go. :thumbup:

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:48 am

Post by costakid on Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:34 am

Lyric wrote:
Sorry but if you are on-line trading while 'on holiday' you are one of life's saddos. :)

So if you work while on holiday your a Saddo????? What a riddiculous statement.
Theoretically you cannot be both working and on holiday?

Definition:

holiday - a day of festivity or recreation when no work is done.

m5rcc
Tourist

Postby m5rcc » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:23 pm

northandsouth wrote:I suppose you could say poorly priced at 60 euros a month, however, the services here are unlimited with no caps and can be switched on and off so you get charged only when you're here. But then again at the time of posting I didn't know your location. Good luck with the search.
The issue is not having to pay €60/mth when I am not in Spain

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:56 pm

Which is exactly what I said, you don't pay when not in Spain, at least the providers down here offer that option but not sure up your end of the country.