Say no to Windows 10

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Say no to Windows 10

Postby gerryh » Sun May 08, 2016 7:24 pm

For those who don't want to upgrade Win7 or Win 8.1 to Win 10 in addition to GWX control panel, which Enrique has mentioned previously, there is also Never10 which is claimed to be easier to use. This can be got from https://www.grc.com/never10.htm
I don't need any of these as I am now running Windows 10 on my Desktop and both laptops without any problems.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Say no to Windows 10

Postby markwilding » Sun May 08, 2016 10:12 pm

Apart from a couple of business PCs, I have changed all my PCs to Windows 10. There will come a point when staying with Windows 7 will have security consequences so better now than never.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon May 09, 2016 7:52 am

Hi,
Windows 7 SP1 security updates until Jan 14 2020.

Free Windows 10 available until July 2016

Long term plan ...get copy of 10, dual boot, carry on using 7 as main system, look at 10 with the applications you use , when happy move over to 10 as main system.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon May 09, 2016 8:11 am

That sounds like a sensible, hedge your bets, solution.

Of course, not everyone will find it easy to set up a dual boot system. Do you have any good links to a guide to doing it? Or would you like to write one for us and it can go in the FAQ section.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon May 09, 2016 10:20 am

Enrique wrote:Hi,
Windows 7 SP1 security updates until Jan 14 2020.

Free Windows 10 available until July 2016

Long term plan ...get copy of 10, dual boot, carry on using 7 as main system, look at 10 with the applications you use , when happy move over to 10 as main system.
Another Windows version might come out before 2020. Using an operating system which is 3 back might also give problems. I also suspect newer Apps won't work on older versions as their creators might stop supporting older versions as well.

Apart from the fact there are some really good recovery features on 10, most of the time you can use the traditional interface anyway.
Last edited by markwilding on Mon May 09, 2016 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Mon May 09, 2016 10:10 pm

El Cid wrote: Of course, not everyone will find it easy to set up a dual boot system.
Took me three goes, and two formats to get it a dual boot with w7 and w10. what a pain it was.

Hardly use 10, but at least I have it available should needs be.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue May 10, 2016 7:42 am

Is it possible to download a W10 upgrade to memory stick or USB HDD, for future installation?
Chris

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue May 10, 2016 7:47 am

The quick answer is Yes. :thumbup:
You can create a bootable memory stick or create an ISO file on a DVD both of which are then ready to be used for a Win 10 installation.
You can also download to a HDD and later create an ISO file on a DVD.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue May 10, 2016 7:50 am

But will it install after the end of July? Presumably it goes through a validation process and it could be rejected after that date.

A dual boot system would be OK, even if you don't use it, as it will have passed validation when you installed it before the end date.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue May 10, 2016 8:17 am

Hi,
A follow on from Gerry's Post..............
MS have changed the way they Licence Windows 10, so once it has Validated the first time you're good to go on future installs of Windows 10 on that specific system.
I'll put together a write up shortly( before July ) with links to the info required. In the mean time sort yourself a BACKUP program as the first thing you need to do is save two IMAGE backups of your complete HDD to an external HDD.
Macrium Reflect Free is a good one to use.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Windows 7 Backup is available on later Versions of Windows.

The main thing here is to get comfortable using your chosen BACKUP program.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:18 pm

Just a short note. Should I upgrade now to windows 10! Gerry did say he got a simple copy, is that still available. What I have noticed is that I now get quite a lot of stuff which should have gone into the rubbish bin but is sitting in my in file for emails. Just as I noticed, but still who wouldnt notice ... Dear Patricia we are pleased to tell you that you have won 10,0000000 through our online lottery system, thank goodness though that you can read the first line now of an email!
Last edited by patricia on Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:44 pm

Hi Patricia,
Going from memory aren't you the Member with the suspect copy of Windows 7.......... :?: You may therefore have problems getting a Windows 10 validation.

The fact you're getting spam emails is down to your Email provider , Gmail filters out that sort of thing.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:50 pm

Yes it is suspect but they still send me reminders about updating, telling me my free copy is available!

My provider is Windows as it was hotmail, now Outlook so that is Windows!

It has only just started, I have never had suspect emails before a few weeks ago!

So you think the Wondows 10 would not download, well it did yes Enrique, I downloaded it and I didnt like it so I deleted it and that was with the dodgy windows 7 program! Not that I knew that at the time, it was only when it went all black and when I took my computer into the shop who sold it to me and he told me - when I asked - that it was a counterfeit copy!

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:13 pm

So basically yes it downloaded OK!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:37 pm

Hi patricia,
A Windows 10 Validation of the License is different to Downloading Windows 10 and Upgrading........did you check that your Windows 10 had Validated... :?:

If it did then you could roll it on again at a later date.

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:05 pm

I have installed 2 pc with windows 10 over the weekend. One is my laptop and the other All in One pc, both were windows 7. The All in one pc was "clean install" and the laptop via "upgrade" process. I had installed a new ssd drive(I used a samsung 250gb 850 evo ssd) in the all in one and tried to clean install via a USB download. Coupe of drivers problems after windows 10; I then used master DVDs to take the all in one to factory setting, then I upgraded to windows 10 after. The problem drivers remained ( graphic and wireless drivers), I solved it by searching and install update drivers.
I could have left it as that but I fell that it's better with clean install as it is a new drive so I reinstalled windows 10 via USB again then solved the drivers problems as before. The all in one is very fast now boot up and ready to use less than 25 secs considering it is 5 years old pc and before it took at least over over 2 minutes.
My laptop has msata ssd so it is already quite fast, I upgraded it to windows 10 since I am lazy to save all the data and setting then do the clean install. I knew the windows 10 boot up faster than win7 and since the windows 10 will stop being free at the end of this month I took the plunge. The laptop seems much faster and have some interesting apps which links to others devices and lifestyle, I am convinced windows 10 is the way to go. I have a win 8.1 laptop, although it boots faster than win 7 I didn't like it as much.
I will move all to windows 10 this week.
Last edited by Torrox_campo on Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:54 pm

Hi Torrox_campo,
Thanks for your Post, maybe you could Copy and Paste it in to the "Yes to Windows 10" thread and we can move on............. :idea:

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:15 pm

It would be if you could understand it. I do not have a clue what he is talking about! :roll:

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:15 pm

patricia wrote:It would be if you could understand it. I do not have a clue what he is talking about! :roll:
Which one you don't understand? Me or Enrique?
In my case, it quite simple with both pc. The all in one had new ssd drive and windows 10 installed 3 times: clean install, upgrade and clean install again. The laptop was upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7 in one shot.
If you have genuine windows 7 or 8 and have been activated; upgrading to windows 10 doesn't require the windows product keys as it can see your old windows keys; but if you do the "clean install" of windows 10 you will need to have the windows product keys to key in during installation. There is a skip "option" to allow you to key in the product key within a "grace" period after installation.
My all in one has the product keys at the back and they were readable, my laptop product keys however were defaced a bit and it was one of the reason I did the upgrade instead.

To upgrade and download windows 10 visit the following page the click "upgrade now" button:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

To make the USB for "clean install" you need a usb drive (or a DVD drive or burning disc) of at least 4GB and click the "download tool now" button. After finish the tool download run the downloaded file with the usb plugging in -> select the usb at the prompt, windows will download windows 10 installation files into this usb -> when finish you reboot the pc with the usb plugging in select the usb drive as the boot drive, the pc will boot and start the windows 10 installion.

Important: make sure all important data have been saved from your hard drive and the usb before install or upgrade to windows 10. Truth is I didn't save any data in my laptop as I already had them outside but the data and all settings remained intact including all my favourite sites and passwords after upgrading to windows 10.

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:18 pm

Enrique wrote:Hi Torrox_campo,
Thanks for your Post, maybe you could Copy and Paste it in to the "Yes to Windows 10" thread and we can move on............. :idea:
Thank Enrique. I didn't see your Yes to windows 10 thread and now I don't really want to duplicate. If necessary the mods can move my post to you thread.