Android TV box recommendations

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
axarquian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Android TV box recommendations

Postby axarquian » Tue May 24, 2016 10:43 am

I have had an Android TV Solutions Macclesfield box for around two years. Initially there were buffering problems but now buffering is not a problem at all. I tend to use Filmon and Mobdro most of the time and the only problem occurs when there is a major sporting event being shown via Mobdro and I am unable to find a connection or the ones I do find freeze, hardly Android TV Solutions fault !

I am no technical expert, perhaps I am missing out, could someone tell me in what way other solutions are so much better than the Android TV Solutions product that requires only a one off payment and no monthly charges (although there is an annual fee for VPN, upgrades etc.).

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Wed May 25, 2016 7:13 am

axarquian wrote:I am no technical expert, perhaps I am missing out, could someone tell me in what way other solutions are so much better than the Android TV Solutions product that requires only a one off payment and no monthly charges (although there is an annual fee for VPN, upgrades etc.).
Each to their own I suppose, if you are happy and content with what you have then that is fine.

I had an Android TV solutions box and it worked well for a year or so. David was always promptly at the end of the telephone if I had any issues and then one day it simply would not turn on, tried all the normal; unplug for a few minutes etc but it would not work. David sent me all the stuff I needed to put on a SD card (by e-mail) to re-load onto the box and once this was done he would be able to remotely get back into the box and sort it for me. I did this, e-mailed David a few times and never heard anything ever again (so gave up)! Said android box is now back in it's box and under the stairs. I think that AndroidTVSolutions just got too big and couldn't cope with demand, hence now you have to pay for that remote ongoing support which was previously included in the purchase price.

I now use a NOW TV Box (about £20) and unlocator DNS (£22 a year). Have Bluestacks on my laptop so can watch any films via showbox, cartoonHD and Popcorntime and any sport I want via Mobdro and SportsTV. Of course, if it is a particularly important sporting event which I want to watch in all it's glory I have the option to simply subscribe to Sky Sports on the Now TV box and watch it undisturbed! I am happy with what I have and am glad you are happy with what you have :thumbup: :clap:

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Wed May 25, 2016 8:39 am

As Martin says, yes each to their own. :clap:

Me, when I checked out the Android tv solutions system back in the day, I couldn't handle the picture and sound quality of the live tv, and then colleagues of mine who had it started to run into some problems, and David was extremely helpful but they all drifted away from it.
I use the GI mini HD box intelsat 907 for HD general stuff. My amazon fire tv box runs all my other catchup stuff in fantastic quality too, and of course that's an android box under the skin so all the usual android tv and film apps can be side loaded on much like your own.
Also Plex is an excellent high quality streaming app isn't it?
I have just collected a now tv box whilst I was recently in the UK too. I use smarty DNS which is currently my only expenditure and I'll pay as I need for extra sky stuff on the now box.
Downsides? Remotes and a confused wife sometimes.......... :crazy:

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed May 25, 2016 3:51 pm

Also the ability to stream 4k content with the Amazon Fire is a great incentive. More and more 4k content is being made available on Netflix and Amazon Prime along with Youtube etc

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed May 25, 2016 4:19 pm

Yes, but not too many users can access a suitable 25mb connection and it also assumes you have a 4K TV.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed May 25, 2016 4:38 pm

Things move on year by year and what was good last year doesn't make it the best this.
If I had to chose only one reason why the Now Tv and Fire Tv stick is better than an Android one is not having to use a air remote control/mouse
That is apart from their price, stability and far superior quality images to filmon.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed May 25, 2016 4:40 pm

Yes it does assume that, I was just pointing out a nice feature of the Amazon Fire box. More and more people can and will be able to get far in excess of 25mb connection with the fibre optic roll out that Movistar etc are currently implementing, even many in "semi rural" areas which another poster kindly mentioned previously and even posted a picture of the cabling.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Wed May 25, 2016 7:37 pm

Talking of which I've just come back from Barcelona and you should see the overhead movistar fibre network in parts of the old city :wtf: :crazy: ....but it works

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed May 25, 2016 7:59 pm

Spaghetti soup I bet! It not only works, it works rather well :crazy: been delivering over 300+mb d/l constantly since day 1. So all told very pleased with Movistars service.

Bugwap
Tourist

Postby Bugwap » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:34 pm

Hi All

Too big too quick eh?? :wtf: This isn't a sales pitch (which isn't allowed) but an alternate perspective

What you have to remember is that the huge development curve in IPTV systems in the last two years means that boxes from 2014 bear no resemblence to the current 4K quad core platform, or indeed the subscription Quantum platform firing out HD streams from around the world.

Ways of sourcing content both live & otherwise has changed also in this time making lots of the early apps redundant & non functional. As internet infrastructure has improved massively in the last 2 years across Spain (excluding some parts of Granada maybe!?) Spanish internet is finally catching up with the rest of Europe. Wimax providers are going over to 4G from microwave & unlimited 4G data plans can be had for reasonable money

No business model that updates platforms for free year after year is sustainable. Increasingly app development has driven Kodi to be the simplest way to integrate Freeview, BBC & ITV catchup, films sport, series radio, etc into one place, and we have our own design for 2016 which people love. Sadly development costs money & we have to eat ! Our in house VPN platform continues to provide access to geolocated content from the UK & anywhere else you like on request.

We are still the only source of an in house developed & supported free use platform with yearly ongoing costs of £25 for the VPN & optional £25 for remote support, less than £1 per week..too much??

If you really wanted to push the boat out an update to the latest set of apps costs...yes...you guessed it....£25 :D :D

David Latham - Android TV Solutions