Pay-as-you-go phone in Spain

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
elizabennett
Andalucia.com Amigo

Pay-as-you-go phone in Spain

Postby elizabennett » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:34 pm

Which is the best PAYG operator?
We previously bought a phone in Opencor and had a PAYG account with Lebara.
We returned a few months later, to discover they had cancelled our account; apparently you have to activate it every three months, or they give the number to someone else.
Opencor no longer sells mobile phones. Where's the best place to buy one in the Marbella/Fuengirola area.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Pay-as-you-go phone in Spain

Postby costakid » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:54 pm

We have Vodafone ES payg mobile. We do not use it much as I have a great deal on my UK phone but need Spanish phone for deliveries etc. They are not cheap to use. Ours seems to eat the credit when we do use it. Must top up every 6 months whether you use it or not.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:17 pm

Hits and Masmovil do good payg packages. You can get very good value on calls SMS and data plans. There are so many packages available best to either go online or call them for info.
The beauty about hits mobile for example is that you can monitor your call and data usage online.

I'm a long time monthly payment user on hits with 250 mins pan European mobile and landline calls and 1.5gb data for €17.90 pm. Yet to find another provider that offers this deal.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:00 pm

Don't forget to check whose signal you can get where you are ;-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:16 am

Good point. :clap:

happyh
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby happyh » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:22 am

I have a payg from Yoigo and am very happy with it.They have a shop in La Canada shopping centre near Marbella.There are several phone companies there too (a couple I think are in or near the entrance the the Al Campo supermarket in there)
You could make a visit to La Canada and talk to 3 or 4 of therm before deciding.
My Yoigo deal has no monthly minimum spend.It was an introductory deal and I don't think they do it anymore.That's the feature I'd be looking for.It works perfectly in Estepona,I can confirm.

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:38 am

Worth having a look at Digi mobile also to see if it will provide what you want. We've been using it a couple of years now with no porblems. Easy on-line top up is great :thumbup:

https://www.digimobil.es/index.php?idLang=2

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:42 am

Due to the change in EU law, It might be better to look at roaming and use your existing account from the UK

elizabennett
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby elizabennett » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:55 am

I am not in the UK :thumbup: ! So I don't think the change in EU law will affect me :clap: !
As one person on the forum pointed out, it is very useful (and sometimes necessary) to have a Spanish phone number if ordering goods online in Spain. Some online retailers have their entry fields set in such a way that
a) a phone number is mandatory, indicated with an asterisk*
b) you can enter only a recognizable Spanish phone number

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:56 pm

Hits do good deals. Good rates and pay a few euros a year to keep your number instead of having to top up

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:07 pm

Definitely Hits although I had a great deal paying a monthly figure of 14.90€ on pay as you go. 500 mins calls (international) 100mb data and numerous text messages included until they suddenly decided to remove the texts. Easy to check online and you can pay a small fee and keep the number although it is best to top up every 3 months, say €5 online with debit card.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it