VPN?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
telboy
Resident

VPN?

Postby telboy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:04 pm

Anyone got a link for a free VPN for viewing UK TV or recommend a subscription VPN with guaranteed connection?

ann - terrys OH

GerryFelch
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: VPN?

Postby GerryFelch » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:56 pm

On what device? TV, laptop, tablet or other?

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:56 am

or put the vpn on your router and cover all devices (ipad, smartphone,laptop etc) :thumbup:

There are stacks out there and you'll probably get loads of differing recommendations. I can only tell you that we have used Unlocator for the last 2 years (on our router) with no problems whatsoever :thumbup:

They do a free 7 day trial (so you'd get tomorrows England match in for free), so nothing to loose? I think we pay about £22 a year for it, money well spent IMHO.

https://unlocator.com/

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:47 am

Unlocator is not a VPN. It is a smart DNS server.
Important because putting a VPN on a router is not for the faint hearted whereas changing the DNS settings is rather easy.

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:56 am

Of course, my mistake, thank you for pointing that out :thumbup:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:54 pm

markwilding wrote: ...putting a VPN on a router is not for the faint hearted whereas changing the DNS settings is rather easy.
Mark (or anyone else!) I posted on the NowTV thread about this, but this may be a better place for it.
I think NowTV have blacklisted my IP address. I've been using Unlocator & SmartyDNS. If I use SmartyDNS's VPN service in my secondary router, do you think this will solve the problem? It will have to be the secondary router, because the primary Orange Livebox doesn't allow me to change much.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:04 am

Before you do anything you should always check your IP address has been updated . Go to your account setting page to make sure.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:26 am

Bless you Mark!
I have no idea why this has worked: I was using Unlocator. I had already checked my IP address was updated, and it was. I tried their alternative settings - no luck.
For some reason though, your post made me try SmartyDNS again - and lo and behold, I'm back in!
We now have a 2 week free trial of the entertainment package (my "old" NowTV account had 1 week left to run, so it's only 1 free week really). Lucky for me - I was facing sleeping in the garage if OH couldn't watch Ray Donovan tonight. Gonna be a late one now, we've got a lot of catching up to do!!
Thank you.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.