BBC iplayer

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Basti
Andalucia.com Amigo

BBC iplayer

Postby Basti » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:20 am

Anyone else having problems with bbc iplayer, for the last 2 days I have been unable to get it due to them recognising that I am not in the UK. I am using Unblock- us and Browsec on different computers but unable to get it on any of them ! I have also restarted the router to no avail.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: BBC iplayer

Postby gerryh » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:41 am

Just tried it.
I use Smart DNS on my router.
Get "content not working" for live or catchup on my PC.
Can watch live via my NowTV box but not catchup. :think:
Cheers
Gerry
Edited to change SmartTV to NowTV
Last edited by gerryh on Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerry Harris

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:55 am

No problems, just checked a moment ago Macbook pro, Amazon Firestick,Nowtv all fine on both catchup and live using SmartyDNS

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:04 am

Working on NowTV with SmartyDNS (live & catch-up).
Not working on PC with Browsec
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Basti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Basti » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:16 am

Thanks for replies - looks as if it is only with PC that it does not work. My problem is that I am using a Smart TV Mini Box windows 10 to watch TV on which of course is a PC !!

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:15 pm

Works on M8 box and Kodi and tablet.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:50 pm

I can't get any VPN to work with the Iplayer. I am in Ireland for a month and in the end decided to resubscibe to Unblock us for the month because my wife won't be able to reset the IP addresd with unlocator in Spain.
The BBC must be blocking VPNs

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:46 pm

I use SmartyDNS to access iPlayer on my Samsung SmartTV and NOWTV but recently I am having connection problems. It seems to take ages to try and load and then comes up with a message saying try later.

It's not bouncing me because I am not in the UK. It seems worse at peak times. It usually connects eventually but it is a real pain at times. I am watching Glastonbury in HD at the moment with no problems, but I could not load the documentary about Porton Down. Very odd!

Any ideas?

Sid

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:20 pm

Sid

Have you tried swapping the order of the DNS Settings from Smarty? ie trying the second set as the primary. I did this when setting up the Movistar Fibre Optic Router and not had any problems to speak of....very occasionally at peak times live tv on BBCiplayer can take a while to load on the NOWtv box, catchup always fine. Also never an issue with 4 On demand or 5 and Filmon a joy. Also Never had a problem on the Amazon Firestick with iplayer. Also once a week I reboot the Now box, I just unplug wait 30 secs then replug. But worth trying DNS swap and monitoring result.

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:33 pm

markwilding wrote:I can't get any VPN to work with the Iplayer.
The BBC must be blocking VPNs
I use a VPN router and currently have no problems with the Iplayer other than sometimes taking an age to load on the Nowtv box as reported elsewhere.
Gerry

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:49 am

El Cid wrote: It seems worse at peak times.
I use SmartyDNS with NowTV. Never any problem with catch-up TV, however I've noticed with the soccer that the (live) build up to a match with the pundits is fine, but the moment the match itself starts, so do the connection problems. Either constant buffering, or simply going off altogether and taking an age to get it connected and running again. Happens with ITV too, but seems worse on BBC. Same using iPlayer or the BBC Sports app. The picture quality when it is working is pretty poor too, so I gave up ages ago and watched whichever matches were showing on Telecinco (I think, hope, all the remaining ones are) and just try to blank out the rubbish commentary!
This does rather suggest to me that the problem is simply the demand placed on the BBC (& ITV) servers for matches, and not to do with my internet connection/equipment/VPNs...etc. :?:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:00 am

Miro wrote:[
This does rather suggest to me that the problem is simply the demand placed on the BBC (& ITV) servers for matches, and not to do with my internet connection/equipment/VPNs...etc. :?:
That's my feeling too. When I get connected it's usually very good - last night it was almost as good as the Full HD satellite picture. A few weeks ago I was getting buffering at peak times and that's with a 45mb/s connection. I will try firsttango's suggestion of swapping the DNS round later.

Sid

PS Just checked it this morning and it is loading very fast - looks like it is the "server overload" reason for it.

Basti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Basti » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:44 pm

Yesterday was hit and miss with iplayer sometimes it worked and most times it did not on PC, But today no problems at all - so hopefully back to normal !

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:59 am

Just tried my Fire TV box and iPlayer won't let me play catch up but like other posters live tv is available. I get the "Something went wrong playing this programme" banner. ITV 4OD 5 etc all ok though. Will try swapping the smarty DNS codes later.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:55 am

Something defiantly weird.
Using my NowTV box I can watch IPlayer live but when I try catchup I get "Something went wrong playing this programme"
Using the IPlayer app on my LG smart TV on can watch live and catchup OK.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

barry
Resident

Postby barry » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:02 am

Gerry, thanks for heads up, checked my nowtv and was same as yours. Did the high tech, unplug everything ,make coffee, plug all back in, solution. All now working again!

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:00 am

Yes my fire tv is working again on iplayer catch up. I put a ticket into smarty dns and they gave me an instruction and that seems to have done the trick.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:02 am

I didn't bother about the coffee.
Unplugged the mains supply to the box, counted 10, plugged it back in and can now get catchup.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:08 am

northandsouth wrote:Yes my fire tv is working again on iplayer catch up. I put a ticket into smarty dns and they gave me an instruction and that seems to have done the trick.
What was there instruction? Swap DNS settings?

barry
Resident

Postby barry » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:05 pm

Gerry. Pleased. Coffee was optional.