BBC iPLAYER

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
firsttango
Andalucia Guru

BBC iPLAYER

Postby firsttango » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:51 am

Nothing appears to have changed yet, just working as per normal....anyone experienced anything different?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37226030

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: BBC iPLAYER

Postby costakid » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:04 am

I watched the news this morning and they the new rules come into effect today.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:00 pm

Catch up programmes now ask if you have a licence

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:36 pm

markwilding wrote:Catch up programmes now ask if you have a licence
On what device?? Not asked me but only tried Macbook Pro so far and nothing has changed.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:22 pm

It asks me if I have a TV licence or not on the iPlayer app on my LG smart TV , my NowTV box and on my Windows PC.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:28 pm

So do you just say 'Yes' and they don't ask you to 'prove' it in any way ?
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:52 pm

No changes - kind of as expected really.
The "sign in" BBCid on the page is to personalise your BBC content.

"A BBC source said: “There are no plans for people to enter their licence details into BBC iPlayer at present because TV Licensing has a range of enforcement techniques they’ll continue to use. We’ll look at how effective these are before considering whether an extra verification system is required.”

Previous reports that the BBC would begin snooping on Wi-Fi connections to check whether people are using iPlayer are understood to be wide of the mark. However, neither the BBC nor TV Licensing will reveal details of how they plan to detect lawbreakers."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/ ... cy-studies
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:58 pm

chrissiehope wrote:So do you just say 'Yes' and they don't ask you to 'prove' it in any way ?
Correct, just click the "I have a TV licence" box and that's it.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:14 pm

It's quite simple to detect if an address doesn't have a licence by checking their database and then knock on the doors of those who don't.
These days they will work on the premise that everyone has some way of watching TV so wouldn't even need to ask shops to supply the name and address of everyone who buys a gadget as they did in the past with TVs

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:20 pm

I can't see them knocking on Gerrys door in Cajiz. If they find him up there they deserve to be paid. HA HA.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:46 pm

:D I doubt if their database extends that far :)

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:14 pm

gerryh wrote:It asks me if I have a TV licence or not on the iPlayer app on my LG smart TV , my NowTV box and on my Windows PC.
Cheers
Gerry
Not asking me on my NowTV box. Must be 'cos you're in Cajiz - a known hotbed of licence fee avoiders perhaps? :think:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:42 am

Not asked for anything at all this morning on either Nowtv box or laptop.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:08 pm

The problem for expats wkll be if we using the Iplayer in the UK. Imagine being on a train and the tele licencing people do a spot check.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:23 pm

I think unless they had a warrant you could simply ignore them

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:45 pm

Miro wrote:
gerryh wrote:It asks me if I have a TV licence or not on the iPlayer app on my LG smart TV , my NowTV box and on my Windows PC.
Cheers
Gerry
Not asking me on my NowTV box. Must be 'cos you're in Cajiz - a known hotbed of licence fee avoiders perhaps? :think:
Asked me today on my Now TV box and on Windows 10, must be because I am in a known hotspot!
Gerry

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:43 am

The detector van arrived in Torremolinos last night - driver said some bloke in Cajiz sent them this way :lol:

Interesting point Mark made about expats (or any foreign visitors to the UK for that matter) watching iPlayer on a train. Although (currently) possible for anyone in the UK to watch it, could a foreign visitor be told to stop watching, or even be issued a fine, because they don't have a licence?? What about a tourist on a campsite? Does the campsite have to have a licence in case anybody tunes in whilst staying there?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:51 am

Miro wrote:could a foreign visitor be told to stop watching, or even be issued a fine, because they don't have a licence??
Yes. In theory. There are no provisions for tourists in the licence fee documentation that i can see.
Miro wrote:Does the campsite have to have a licence in case anybody tunes in whilst staying there?
No.
Caravans are covered by the "home" licence...as long as there is no one watching at the home, when the tv in the caravan is being used. How the hell they can tell that tvs in two locations on one licence are being used at the same time, unless thye follow you when you go off in your caravan, i have no idea.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:53 am

satandpcguy wrote:
Miro wrote:could a foreign visitor be told to stop watching, or even be issued a fine, because they don't have a licence??
Yes. In theory.
Although there are no provisions for tourists in the licence fee documentation that i can see, they should be covered by the hotel or guest house etc that they are staying in, as long as they are using a device not attached to the mains power supply....
Miro wrote:Does the campsite have to have a licence in case anybody tunes in whilst staying there?
No.
Caravans are covered by the "home" licence...as long as there is no one watching at the home, when the tv in the caravan is being used. How the hell they can tell that tvs in two locations on one licence are being used at the same time, unless thye follow you when you go off in your caravan, i have no idea.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:58 pm

The BBC aren't going to even bother enforcing the new law at present, merely write to households that don't have a licence pointing out the new changes. And they certainly won't be able to look at your internet data usage...all seems a wishy washy approach to me.