BBC iPLAYER

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
KarenD
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: BBC iPLAYER

Postby KarenD » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:18 pm

I couldn't get anything on BBC Iplayer tonight on my Android box. It didn't show any message, just wouldn't play any programmes

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:12 pm

Not been asked on NOWTV box since Thursday, iPlayer working as normal.

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:45 am

I have android box, still working fine.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:35 am

markwilding wrote:The problem for expats wkll be if we using the Iplayer in the UK. Imagine being on a train and the tele licencing people do a spot check.
Hehehehe :P

Yes it has asked me but then of course I do :mrgreen:
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:43 pm

Have heard in the last few days from quite a few people using various VPNS that access to iPlayer on PCs, mobile devices and Freesat boxes has been stopped. access on NowTV and Sky digiboxes not affected.
So seems there has been a renewed clampdown.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

Dr1Gonzo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dr1Gonzo » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:57 pm

Still working on our ProxyPlayer.co.uk
Could just be the big vpns but then the BBC would have to know all the ip addresses or change their player somehow.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:54 am

Registering with a postcode and signing in will be required from next year - but it's purely for our benefit of course! "...to make (BBC) content and services more personalised and tailored to individual viewers and listeners." Sure.

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/tec ... sign-2017/" https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/tec ... sign-2017/
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:12 pm

That makes very interesting reading - in particular the last paragraph.
Chris

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:26 pm

So if we sign up with SW1A 1AA we should be OK? :twisted: :twisted:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

brimsham
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brimsham » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:35 pm

I logged in OK on my laptop using an outlook account which I use for such things. However on my tablet and phone the BBC does not recognise that email address and appears to only accept a gmail one, guess I'll have to set up another account. I like Gerry's post code, what name should we use?! I hope they have a licence.
Last edited by brimsham on Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:35 pm

gerryh wrote:So if we sign up with SW1A 1AA we should be OK? :twisted: :twisted:
Cheers
Gerry
Why Buckingham palace?

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:27 am

TorreDelAguila wrote:That makes very interesting reading - in particular the last paragraph.
The last paragraph was part of some proposal EU ruling, that would allow people temporary or limited access to digital services whilst they are visiting another country.
Key words are visitors and limited.
Not expats who are living in another country.
So, they say, you simply get x number of days foreign access using your ID.

I noticed that BBC Worldwide (in conjunction with a local broadcaster) launched a version of Iplayer for Singapore recently....wonder if the "world Iplayer" will make another appearance soon....
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:04 am

firsttango wrote:
gerryh wrote:So if we sign up with SW1A 1AA we should be OK? :twisted: :twisted:
Cheers
Gerry
Why Buckingham palace?
It was meant as a sort of joke. :think:
Under the proposed new system won't it just be a case of logging on with a valid post code, that has a licence, and , possibly giving the name of the licence holder?
If that is the case then us in Spain should be OK as long as we know of a licence holder in the UK and that the BBC don't have a way of matching licence holder name and postcode to an IP address.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:03 am

I wonder why the BBC don't just offer the chance to buy a license to those residing abroad? Or do they?
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:36 am

I guess it's all historical.
I think he have the following facts correct.
When the BBC was set up the government granted them the authority to transmit TV to the UK and they could receive a licence fee from the viewers to fund the transmissions.
Transmissions were done via analogue signals from a transmitter mast.
If you didn't live near a transmitter then you couldn't receive TV.
It was many years before the whole of the UK was covered.
Probably no thought was given to people being able to receive transmissions outside the UK.
The internet and digital transmissions hadn't been invented then.
So it would need a governmental change to the BBC charter to allow them to sell licences outside the UK.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:19 pm

Gerry, you are right, it would need a revision to the Charter to allow all normal scheduled BBC transmissions to be available outside the UK. The growth of digital and worldwide connectivity has turned all the previous thinking on its head, but we are still left with some of it.

BBC World (or whatever it's currently called) offers a tiny fragment of of the BBC's output, and is a pretty meagre offering. It had traditionally featured reruns of past shows, mainly lightweight entertainment. As such, it didn't constitute a major "global/overseas offering", and was therefore never much of an issue.

These days, though, technology has well and truly caught up, and we have ended up with a number backdoor means whereby BBC live and archived output is globally available. This needs sorting out.

Another major issue for the BBC opening up its programming beyond the UK centres on commercial considerations. BBC sells much of its output to non-UK broadcasters, and for very large sums. This is a vital part of its income, and one reason why the current UK TV licence is such a low figure, considering everything you can get for it. If its programming were openly available globally, then there would be no incentive for non-UK broadcasters to purchase it, and the revenue stream of BBC Sales would dry up.

There is also the "rights issue". Performers, material providers, owners of copyright material (music, film clips, whole movies, sporting bodies...) all charge the BBC for using their services/material in the programmes which the BBC makes. The cost of this is rightly calculated on the basis that the programme in question will be for UK broadcast. Additional transmission rights (repeats, BBC World, etc.) will bump up the cost significantly.

So, not an easy thing to unravel and reweave - and not a problem unique to the BBC; Sky and other UK broadcasters have similar constraints.

Personally (and for those residing outside the UK) I would like to see the BBC come up with a Global Subscription package, whereby simply in exchange for a paid subscription, their entire output of tv and radio could be accessed, hopefully by satellite and internet, and at the very best broadcast quality. Again, personally, I would be prepared to pay a premium subscription for this, probably a good bit higher than the current UK tv licence. This wouldn't suit everybody, and there's no reason why several different channel packages shouldn't be offered. Sky have, after all, done this for years.
Chris

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:43 pm

And as we found out with the "Bake Off", BBC does not actually own a lot of its programmes. They are made by indys and sold to TV companies. So it is not up to the BBC to decide if they can sell or make that that programme available to other countries.

That said, BBC Worldwide does offer a range of programming to other countries. Some have access to up to 5 BBC styled channels. Some countries, who have no TV company providing those channels, have to put up with BBC Entertainment (formally BBC Prime). But again, its content is not the same as the "linear" BBC channelsin the UK, simply what content the have the rights to show in those other countries.

I remember seeing Doctor Who and Top Gear on Spanish TV. BBC Worldwide probably make more money from the SPanish TV companies for these programmers than they would from Spanish "iPlayer subscribers"...so a no brainer as to what they would do