A New Lap Top

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
TerryC
Resident

A New Lap Top

Postby TerryC » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:34 pm

You may have seen my other post about a new laptop in "Living in Andalucia" This post has nothing to do with that other than I´ve now got another new HP laptop and it all seems to be working well so far.

I use the laptop to watch TV using an HDMI cable. With my old lap top the TV screen was filled with the picture. With the new laptop there is a black border three inches or so around the picture, very annoying. Firefox claims I am in full screen mode. Using the TV remote I stretched the picture but there was still a two inch border around the picture.

Any ideas of how to correct this and get a full screen would be greatly appreciated.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: A New Lap Top

Postby Enrique » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi TerryC,
Good to hear you got sorted.............

You may find some ideas in this......................

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 057384fea8
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

TerryC
Resident

Postby TerryC » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:44 pm

Thanks Enrique, brilliant, the process took about 10 seconds to get the full screen view on my TV.

I have another problem, my new laptop does not receive the WIFI signal as well as the old one.

This morning I tried watching a streaming programme from Filmon. On the old laptop it played no problem on the new laptop it kept buffering for a few seconds every so often. I changed the laptop to HIgh Performance but that did not seem to make much difference.

I anybody has any suggestions I´d appreciate them.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:51 pm

I don't know why but I get sometimes buffering even though I have very fast internet and on gadgets that are connected to my router by Ethernet cable. Rebooting the routers usually works.

TerryC
Resident

Postby TerryC » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:56 pm

I have rebooted my router which did nothing I´m afraid, but thanks Mark.

I have just had a two hour session with HP help. They took remote control of the new lap top trying various things, none of which worked. They have suggested I contact my ISP and change the router channel to Channel 11 and change the connection from 5 Ghz to 2.4 Ghz and then monitor my PC. However having just solved the problem of slow internet speed with my ISP I am loath to get them to change anything.

I think it is crazy that a new laptop does not have the same or improved performance over an old one and I´m very disappointed that HP couldn´t help.

HarryJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby HarryJ » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:50 pm

Depending on your router you should be able to access and change the channel yourself. Plus in your network setting it should show what is available to you, just pick the 2.4 ghz and connect via that.
I assume you're running Windows 10, if that is the case I suggest you have a search of the internet as Windows 10 has had a fair amount of slow connection issues.
below is a 2 samples have a look it may help
http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/ ... pdate.html
https://www.tecklyfe.com/windows-10-slo ... eed-fixes/

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:19 pm

Hi TerryC,
Get a copy of inssider 3...........and see what is going on with your network.

https://uwnthesis.wordpress.com/2014/12 ... 7-and-mac/

It runs on Windows 10.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.