KODI

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: KODI

Postby markwilding » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:36 pm

Apple TV is an IPTV box. I have version 3, which allows me to stream from my IOS phone and tablet to the TV.
Costakid has the 4th generation and after a little googling it seems it has some decent additions since the last time I looked.
Sky is there with NOW tv so is the Iplayer, Netflix and TVPlayer.
No channel 4 but if it's the same as Apple Tv 3, streaming it from the phone offers good quality. No ITV or channel 5 though so they have to be mirrored.
The biggest reason I haven't bought one though is the price and the fact it doesn't support 4K.

Mike Lytt
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mike Lytt » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:44 pm

For C4 and ITV and C5 all he needs is TV Player on his Appletv box

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:39 pm

I came across this this afternoon. Very useful because it updates Kodi from within Kodi. Instructions to update from the old one to 17.1 as well as from 17 to 17.1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G_kGlGGZsQ
Only for Andriod but can be used for Amazon fire stick.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:51 am

For all UK tv i use the castaway app on Kodi.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat May 06, 2017 3:56 pm

The UK is introducing new laws to close the various loopholes regarding illegal file sharing and streaming.
It seems it is a grey area to watch pirate streams in your own homes after all. The fact that is not illegal to receive streams only means that the technology moves faster than the law.
Many of the technologies used to share content online involve users uploading data as well as downloading – which means, technically, that users may be ‘making content available’ by just watching through file sharing would be doing so illegally..
In the end it, as the article says, "it's unlikely "In practice, ordinary users are not actually likely to be prosecuted at all, although you have still technically committed a crime, the government says"

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/new-piracy-la ... 57940.html
Last edited by markwilding on Sun May 07, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sat May 06, 2017 4:50 pm

Last time I looked I was in Spain, more precisely Andalucia so IMO the U.K Law doesn't Apply here.
I So Bella tis you

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat May 06, 2017 4:57 pm

You have your opinion I have mine.
Let's leave it that.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat May 06, 2017 6:06 pm

Paulinmalaga wrote:Last time I looked I was in Spain, more precisely Andalucia so IMO the U.K Law doesn't Apply here.
It does apply as the ECJ has just ratified that it is illegal.

https://getenigma.tv/what-now-for-pirat ... cj-ruling/

I doubt that users will be affected but the various illegal streams are likely to be shut down and sellers of "fully loaded" boxes tied to a streaming subscription may well be prosecuted and closed down. How long that will take is highly debateable.

Sid

wembason420
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wembason420 » Sun May 07, 2017 12:24 pm

Sid I have a Nowtv box with a DNS from Unlocator and stream BBC iPlayer and am unsure whether this would be classed as an illegal stream here in Spain? To enable it to work I had to say that I had a TV license which I do but with only 3 months left until it expires and seeing as I dont have a U.K address anymore what happens once my tv license expires? I'm unsure as to the legal position of saying I have a license in the future if I clearly dont have one?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun May 07, 2017 12:46 pm

The BBC threatened to make it more difficult to watch iPlayer without a licence. They could easily have come up with a password system, but in their infinite wisdom decided that they would just ask you if you have a licence. That's a pathetic response and shows that they aren't really worried about it. Piracy will only ever be stopped by attacking the vendors and stream providers.

I for one, will continue to watch whatever UK (non subscription) stream is available without any concerns, especially as we are now exempt from paying for a UK TV license.

Sid

Portugeezer
Tourist

Postby Portugeezer » Sun May 07, 2017 2:15 pm

wembason420 wrote:Sid I have a Nowtv box with a DNS from Unlocator and stream BBC iPlayer and am unsure whether this would be classed as an illegal stream here in Spain? To enable it to work I had to say that I had a TV license which I do but with only 3 months left until it expires and seeing as I dont have a U.K address anymore what happens once my tv license expires? I'm unsure as to the legal position of saying I have a license in the future if I clearly dont have one?
I saw that question on the BBC site and clicked "yes".

I do have a TV licence Your Honour, it's a Portuguese one. It didn't ask me if I had a UK TV licence. :wink:

wembason420
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wembason420 » Sun May 07, 2017 3:39 pm

Thanks Sid for the clarification

dhasdell
Tourist

Postby dhasdell » Wed May 10, 2017 3:11 pm

Kodi stopped working on my Firestick on about May 1, but is working ok now I have returned to Catalunya.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon May 15, 2017 1:58 pm

Came across this app called FIREDL, which must be the easiest way of side-loading Kodi and other Apps onto the Firestick etc.
Find it by using the search function on the fire stick. You just type in a code for the required App.
The codes can be found here
http://aidymatic.co.uk/firedl.php
There are apps are alternatives to Filmon with no need use Kodi