NO IPTV from 1st July

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
vinuela vinny
Resident

Re: NO IPTV from 1st July

Postby vinuela vinny » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi All

Our IPTV is still working - was the 1 July worry over-hyped, or will it all be blocked / go offline / whatever sooner or later as the 'authorities' close all the loopholes?

Vincent

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:50 pm

It was just one phone company targeting ex-pats (who added a particular IPTV stream to its offering) who decided they didn't want to continue with that particular stream, following a takeover of that phone company. Complex? Yup!
nil illegitimum carborundum

marios
Resident

Postby marios » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:45 am

Hablaya

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:25 am

Hi All

Thanks for the update

I suppose that it will happen to all the systems eventually

Regards

Vincent

Evaready
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evaready » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:24 pm

We unfortunately can only get satellite download where we now are (Girona province since you ask- having moved north about 18 months ago) and I simply cannot change the DNS on the router. Until recently we had a Devolo Dlan powerline solution through which we ran the TV, which would allow a change to the DNS so we could watch Now TV pretty well. Unfortunately, after 5 years of sterling service it died and the new TP Link powerline will not let me change the DNS, which is a bit of a blow. The IPTV which we have (and pay about 100 Euros per year) works very well with the satellite most of the time, but if that is going, I am wondering how on earth we will be able to get UK TV, given I cannot change the DNS on the satellite router or the 3G router I have as a back up (using movistar/Tuenti sim cards again it won't let me change the DNS). Does anyone who relies on sat. broadband or even 3G broadband have any bright ideas? We cannot get any other form of broadband and Movistar is the only mobile signal we can get- 3G is good, but as I say I cannot change the DNS. I would be very happy to go back to using NowTV which we used in Andalusia when Sky went. Thanks in advance and any ideas gratefully received.
Evaready

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:45 pm

Routers are cheap enough , buy a new one .

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:49 pm

It's not entirely clear but it sounds like they have a satellite router. In which case any old router will not necessarily work with the sat system.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:13 pm

If you have satellite via Tooway, as I did, then Tooway do port hijacking which means you cannot change the DNS settings.
Had a long dialogue with SmartyDns who, dispute very many efforts, couldn't change the DNS settings.
I had another router connected to the Tooway router could "change" the DNS settings on the attached router but they got over ridden by the Tooway settings.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Evaready
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evaready » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:17 pm

Gerry you are absolutely right- it is a satellite router and from Eurona (now part of Tooway) and you cannot change the DNS - same issue with any other router connected to it (I have several). Gerry how do you watch UK tv or do you not bother? Thanks for the input so far and if anyone has a potential solution I am all ears.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:34 pm

Evaready wrote: Until recently we had a Devolo Dlan powerline solution through which we ran the TV, which would allow a change to the DNS so we could watch Now TV pretty well. Unfortunately, after 5 years of sterling service it died and the new TP Link powerline will not let me change the DNS, which is a bit of a blow.
Evaready
Any reason it will not work if you just replace the Devolo Dlan powerline like for like?
I So Bella tis you

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:42 pm

Evaready wrote:Gerry you are absolutely right- it is a satellite router and from Eurona (now part of Tooway) and you cannot change the DNS - same issue with any other router connected to it (I have several). Gerry how do you watch UK tv or do you not bother? Thanks for the input so far and if anyone has a potential solution I am all ears.
I watch UK TV, OK a limited number of channels, via Intelsat 907. This system will work anywhere in Spain provided you have a clear view of the sky which your do have for your existing system.

I have a Vodafone 4G modem for normal internet use and IPTV either via my Smart TV or my NowTV box. Have a TP link router, with SmartyDNS installed attached to the Vodafone Modem.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:44 pm

I watch UK TV, OK a limited number of channels, via Intelsat 907. This system will work anywhere in Spain provided you have a clear view of the sky which your do have for your existing system.

I have a Vodafone 4G modem for normal internet use and IPTV either via my Smart TV or my NowTV box. Have a TP link router, with SmartyDNS installed attached to the Vodafone Modem.
Cheers
Gerry
And depending on the make and model of the intelsat 907 receiver you can pop in a usb stick and live pause, rewind etc and record one channel whilst watching another. When I was living in Spain we had a GI 2233HD mini. Brilliant high quality 1080p receiver box. :D
(Back in the UK now and dusting off the trusty Humax Foxsat 500HDR) :thumbup:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:02 pm

You can only record one channel and watch another if you choose exactly the right combination of channels. To do that across all channels requires two tuners which most cheap I907 boxes do not have. That said, the pause, rewind functions work on all channels and I use that feature all the time.

Sid

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:11 pm

Anyone got any update on the 907 Satellite overheard some people who'd visited the Trapiche Market saying it was being retired in early DEC? Chinese whispers or any fact in this, as it is past its normal life span?
I So Bella tis you

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:05 pm

El Cid wrote:You can only record one channel and watch another if you choose exactly the right combination of channels. To do that across all channels requires two tuners which most cheap I907 boxes do not have. That said, the pause, rewind functions work on all channels and I use that feature all the time.

Sid
Well mine recorded as I explained faultlessly

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:06 pm

Personally I wouldn't believe anything that some of the stallholders in El Trapiche market say, particularly when they try to sell you the "only way that will work" at a grossly inflated price.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:09 pm

Hence my asking the question here
I So Bella tis you

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:51 pm

northandsouth wrote:
El Cid wrote:You can only record one channel and watch another if you choose exactly the right combination of channels. To do that across all channels requires two tuners which most cheap I907 boxes do not have. That said, the pause, rewind functions work on all channels and I use that feature all the time.

Sid
Well mine recorded as I explained faultlessly

You were just lucky, believe me it is not possible on all channels without two tuners. It’s all to do with the polarity of the transponders.

Sid

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:12 am

Luck?
No luck involved. It was installed by Orbit in Estepona, and sold on that basis. Always worked and others who have it use it too. No matter in what combo the recordings are done it works.

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:25 am

You need at least 2 receivers because each receiver can only use either Vertical or Horizontal polerisation , some channels are Vertical and some Horizontal which is why ElSids said " You can only record one channel and watch another if you choose exactly the right combination of channels " was noticeable to us when we used a Humax box until we made inquiries from the company .

I recal that when manually entering channels into the old SKY box one of the fields were polymerization , V or H .