2 Whatapps Numbers

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
john the baptist
Resident

2 Whatapps Numbers

Postby john the baptist » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:40 am

Can anyone help. As we now have fibre optic I now have new sim new number and data on my mobile. However my whatsapp is still my orange pay as you go number. Its not too much of an issue however people are using the whatsapp number to try to call me but it does not call as the sim is on another phone,

I would like to keep all my contacts messages etc my account with my new number and use my old account on another phone for my young son in case he may want it (although hes happy with FB) the question is how exactly do I do the switch???

How can I have both without losing anything , I want to continue with the orange pay as you go as me may switch companies in 12 months if we get a good deal elsewhere.

If I load whatsapp on my second phone (old phone) how can i have the original number on the older phone and new number on my current phone and keep the conversation and contacts that I have now???

I do have a dual sim phone but it was too complicated to have use both of them at the same time \!!!

please can anyone help!!!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: 2 Whatapps Numbers

Postby Enrique » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:12 am

Hi J de B,

Some reading first............read through at least twice........

https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/android/20902622

https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/wp/28060001

https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/android/28000018

My initial take is ...........

old SIM in new phone get Whatsapp backed up, do the Whatsapp change number , put new SIM in New phone install Whatsapp and restore/sync backup.

PLEASE READ THE ABOVE FAQ'S FROM WHATSAPP and see if you come up with same procedure................... :idea: :idea:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:56 am

thanks Enrique I understand the change of number thing, but does that mean I can use my original number on a new phone or does it then get "used up" like an registered email address.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:49 am

The Phone number is on the SIM.........so you can move it from phone to phone.

Before I dragged myself into the 21st Century I would swap my SIMs (English to Spanish) over as I came into Santander . Now it's just a case of using the SIM control on the phone. Can also have both SIMs on line.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:39 pm

yes but for whatsapp the tel number is only used for the first text after that its 100% online and not through the mobile nextwork.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:27 pm

Might have read your post above wrong, so my apologies if I have misunderstood you but you do know whatsapp works on both wifi and 3G / 4G

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:13 pm

yes but it works via the internet roaming data not on like a telephone call which is voice call, no data

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:17 pm

Exactly. Sorry I misread you on that one.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:41 am

is it possible to have whatsapp with the same number on 2 phones??? i was then thinking I can then change the number on my main phone and still have the older one without losing contacts etc

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:48 am

Don't think that will work. It's tied to the mobile number.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:50 am

Hi J de B,
Some more reading............looks a bit hacky........

https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-use-two ... nt-devices

From Whatsapp Support...........

"Using one WhatsApp account on multiple phones, or with multiple phone numbers

Your WhatsApp account can only be verified with one number on one device. If you have a dual SIM phone, please note that you still must choose one number to verify with WhatsApp. There is no option to have a WhatsApp account with two phone numbers.

If you attempt to frequently switch your WhatsApp account between different devices, at a certain point, you may be blocked from re-verifying your account. Please do not repeatedly switch between different devices and numbers."

How did you get on saving your contacts from yesterday's readings............. :?:

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:03 pm

still have yet to do Enrique apologies ive been 2 days at the school doing the end of year notas for the kids and the transfer to the instituto. all a bit of a nightmare really. will look into it asap