NOW TV BOX

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Re: NOW TV BOX

Postby firsttango » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:29 pm

Thanks, just glad its all worked out for you with minimal drama :thumbup:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:48 am

Having thought I could not access my router I followed the instructions above and found the default login details and have got into mine ....yay :)

It means that I may now be able to install a DNS into it after all, although it's not something I'll do today, but it seems to be a possibility now. Not sure where I'd put the DNS settings (I have a TPLink router) but it's something I can now consider .... so thanks from me too!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:18 am

Hi Wicksey,

Have a read............you only need to change the DNS setting...........in this Example

https://www.smartydns.com/support/smart ... nk-router/

General Info for all............

If you find that your Router has the Default Login and Password............PLEASE change the Password at least ,especially if you live close to other Networks.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:09 pm

Whoops didn't change the password :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Now I have :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks again folks :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:30 pm

Wicksey wrote:Having thought I could not access my router I followed the instructions above and found the default login details and have got into mine ....yay :)

It means that I may now be able to install a DNS into it after all, although it's not something I'll do today, but it seems to be a possibility now. Not sure where I'd put the DNS settings (I have a TPLink router) but it's something I can now consider .... so thanks from me too!
I've never heard of a router whose settings can't be accessed. Sometimes it's not possible to change certain settings once inside.

Unicon, I don't know if you agree but until now I believe Now TV offers the cheapest simplest solution to access UKTV. To enjoy it only requires a slight change in viewing habits. There's many live channels including Sky, BBC and ITV, and the rest can be watched via catch up, all in good quality

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:52 pm

hi there
first time poster but long time lurker... we use NOWTV in the uk and were wondering if we could do all the above using a dongle/wifi setup? we won't be in spain often enough (sadly) to justify broadband/router contract costs so will be looking for a PAYG dongle option. would love to know if we can access NOWTV services via above methods. I understand about possible data issues but for (very) occasional useage a cheap NOWTV box and this method might be ideal

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:09 pm

I agree Mark Wilding. :clap:

I come late to Now TV but have now ordered more. The quality is better than Samsung changed-to UK apps as live doesn't buffer and I never really used ITV playback as it seemed to fail very often. I will have to get used to watching ITV again.

Me? I'm as please as Punch and at 15 quid a shot got to be the best deal. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haven't thus far tracked down radio on it so if anyone knows if it is there, do let me know. :?:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:11 pm

The TuneIn radio app has all the Uk stuff plus tons more.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:02 pm

I have tune in but if I want to play back I have to go onto the laptop then to Chromecast
My poor TV has so many tubes/wires it looks as if it in intensive care!

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:10 pm

Just use the TuneIn App ON the NOWTV Box as you would the youtube app or any other app on the box for that matter

http://web.static.nowtv.com/images/NOWT ... box-uk.pdf

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:12 pm

I've got NowTV on my Smart TV. Is this different to having the box? It seems that you can watch the box for free from what you say after the initial set up but is it the same for the TV version? It says on the website it is 1 pound for the first month then 6.99 after that unless cancelled.

Just trying the SmartyDNS free trial and have actually got it to work on the TV and can watch the built-in BBC, ITV and CH4 catch up sites. This is via the wifi now that I have managed to get into my router settings. I didn't think I could as I didn't have the password etc .... didn't realise it was just the default one written on the bottom of the router!!

I did try Smarty a few years back but then it kept asking me to validate my IP address, from memory, several times an hour, so I gave up with it. That time I used it on a laptop and didn't put the DNS settings on the router, so maybe this is better?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:44 pm

Hi,
The Now tv box and what you have is different. You don't need the box unless you want ITV live or the start a BBC programme from the beginning funtion that I don't have on my Samsung TV, although I've heard it is availabe with other smart Tv brands.
UK radio can be received with the Tunein radio app.

The Now Tv box is a great way of making any TV smart without the high costs that some IP companies charge for an inferior service.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:56 pm

Wicksey wrote: I did try Smarty a few years back but then it kept asking me to validate my IP address, from memory, several times an hour, so I gave up with it. That time I used it on a laptop and didn't put the DNS settings on the router, so maybe this is better?
Did this coincide with every time you shut down your laptop-closed the lid-put it in sleep mode - or disconnect from internet?? If so then that would happen. The only time you'll need to VALIDATE your IP now that you have Smarty on your actual ROUTER is if you have a power cut or turn router Off for any reason. Other technical factors may cause a Validate ip request but these will be very few and far between and generally an issue at Smarty's end.....not happened to me in 2 years.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:47 am

That's interesting Mark, thanks. We bought a Smart TV recently and managed to get the UK TV apps up and working so that will suffice. We prefer live TV but on odd occasions miss something and want it on catch-up so having SmartyDNS looks like it may be useful to me, so I am considering paying for the year as it doesn't seem too expensive.

That may have been the case firsttango as it was on a laptop which I would shut down regularly. Having said that, I always switch off the router when the computer's not on! Anyway, we tried it out last night by watching something on All4 on TV and apart from a little buffering, it did work OK.