Help! Two ladies in distress.

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Help! Two ladies in distress.

Postby El Cid » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:45 am

Mariacristina wrote:
Sid: Sorry if I annoyed you but I was having trouble.logging in. New password from A. com now and all is well. I don't use Hotmail so it wasn't that.
You certainly didn't annoy me! It often comes down to something that has been done by the user. One member changed their email address in their profile (correctly) and got locked out temporarily.

The tech support at aCom is not brilliant as they had the system installed by a third party and day to day problems, etc. are handled by interns on a six month basis so no one knows enough about the system to fix complex problems. However, it does seem to run OK for 99.9% of the time

Sid

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:39 pm

Could be hard drive failure either in physical error or in boot loader error. Facing this problem I'd run a hard drive test if the drive fails then the laptop will need a new drive. If it doesn't then you 'd need to delete all partitions before reinstall windows. To reinstall windows you will need the recovery images in a DVDs set or a USB drive which you may have done before , if you haven't got this then you will need to install win 8.1 from a DVD disc or USB files which you can get from Microsoft, the windows product codes on a sticker at the back of your laptop will help to authenticated your windows software. The process of reimage or install windows 8.1 to the old hard drive or the new hard drive is the same.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:17 pm

quebin wrote:I'm using Hotmail but I don't think I have any problems.
That is interesting. So why do I have a problem. I am using hotmail but I now do not get notifications! :wtf:
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

Macaroni

Postby Macaroni » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:20 pm

Hello everyone! I am Mariacristina's friend - the now, not so distressed, owner of the malfunctioning Toshiba laptop.

Firstly, a big thank you to Mariacristina for seeking help on my behalf whilst I was awaiting confirmation about my membership status for A.com.

Secondly, I am extremely grateful to everyone who took the time and trouble to post advice. All the information was very helpful indeed and I have learned a lot in the process.

Finally, as I was unable to snap the Toshiba out of its diagnosing mode, plus lacking the expertise to attempt any other solution, I took it to my local computer shop where they did some tests and then recommended having a new hard drive fitted. It isn't too expensive and means I will have a spare to rely on in case anything should go wrong in the future with the HP laptop that I bought on Friday. Let's hope this one is relatively trouble-free!

Many thanks again to everyone and have a great Sunday evening!

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:41 pm

Welcome to the Forum......Enjoy
I So Bella tis you

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:59 pm

El Cid wrote: The tech support at aCom is not brilliant
I don't want to bang on about this, as the problem was finally fixed, but I would have to say the "support" is actually completely non-existent. I can accept technical problems, if only someone would communicate with you so that you don't feel completely ignored when things do go wrong. I have never received any explanation as to what went wrong, nor any response to any of my messages. That's what I find most disappointing. I would prefer to have notifications sent to my Hotmail account, but I don't dare to try changing my preferences back again - I missed the forum too much while I was out in the cold!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:32 am

Notifications are not working for me, either. Have not been for some time.