Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:22 pm

what has happened to Skype! I do not seem to be able to use Skype now. Although it shows the other person to be online I cannot connect to Skype. Have used messenger in facebook but it kept freezing today!
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: SKYPE

Postby Enrique » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi Patricia,
They have done a major revamp.......lots of negative feed out there............ :evil:

I have it working on Android and Windows system..........

Some of my clients reporting that it doesn't work for them............. :(
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:16 pm

You can try using WEB SKYPE , go to your normal browser and google or search for SKYPE WEB , when it opens you just log in with your user name and password the same as you would on the Skype program installed on your computer or the App if your using android . You should see everything working properly on that .

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:45 pm

Oh that is interesting. So lots of people are having problems Enrique!

I will try Web Skype Ako and see how I go. I have windows 7. I have been using facebook but if you want to talk to someone who is not on facebook you have had it!

Thank you for your feed back. I will let you know how I get on!
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:19 pm

Skye Web is a Beta version...........not supporting calls in Firefox.......use Edge (Windows 10) or Google Chrome

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:25 pm

I have used it on Firefox and Chrome , with Chrome you can add it to the browser as an extension . Just tried it again on both as i haven't used the Web Skype for some months and both working perfectly . Interestingly i logged into all three a the same time , Firefox , Chrome and Windows 7 program , my wife also has it constantly on her Tablet .

Apologizes Enrique , in Firefox it did says not currently supporting calls in Firefox

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:44 pm

Skype has been unusable for years. I don't even have it installed on my work laptop, it pulls down the entire system.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:17 pm

Flexo.........that's a bold statement............I have used it for years and find its GREAT......... :D

Ok this latest release my need some time to settle in........

The simplest version is the one for unix systems...........its not been updated for years and works very well ....OK its not got all those emoticons that seem to plague any txt/chat app/program.....of recent years........but then I'm old school............ :D

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:49 pm

Daft Statement....like Enrique I and my friends and family have used it for many years, always worked pretty much as advertised on both Windows P.C and Macbooks. Skype has been a great saviour for people across all walks of life for both commercial and private use. To say its been unusable for years is simply a wild and completely inaccurate statement.
Cannot comment on the latest release on Windows but works fine on MBP
I So Bella tis you

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:04 pm

It’s not bold, it’s rubbish. It is generalised posts like that bring down the generally high quality of posts on this forum. As has been said, millions of people have used Skype for years with great success.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:51 pm

Our skype phone stopped working correctly during June.
Since 2007 we've been using skype out on a stand alone skype cordless phone an RTX dualphone. Base station plugs into a router and it became an excellent cheap phone. Used to cost 43 euros a year which gave us a UK number, and unlimited minutes across Europe. As we were mainly in contact with the UK and of course Spanish numbers it was a no brainer and gave our UK contacts a cheap or free number to call us. And we could take it anywhere in the world with us and plug into a router and effectively have our "landline" with us.
Last year the annual sub was due and despite not having increased over the previous 9 years they changed the package and increased the price. We kept it going for another year as it was still a very cheap phone system. But the whole payment process that was seamless before was now a pig.

Alarm bells start ringing.

Fast forward to this June and we discover that we were no longer receiving calls. We could still make calls but anyone calling us was greeted with a voicemail.
Checked with skype, or indeed Microsoft now, and they say that the phone system is no longer supported by them. No other explanation.
Brilliant :twisted:
We can still make calls but to receive calls on our UK number we now have to use the skype app on our mobiles.

brimsham
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brimsham » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:57 pm

Tks for the info northland south, that explains my problem. OK for calling out, but not able to receive calls. Still paying for a UK number which is a waste of money if no one in the UK can use it.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:14 am

Hi,
Update for our Linux users.....yes we have some Members who have broken out of the Microsoft camp............. :D

Skype has finally been updated with the new version.........looks even more user friendly than the Windows one........ :D

Like some members I use Skype as my main Phone via Computer for local and International calls and find the costs very reasonable.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:12 am

Since the roaming calls have gone up so much I have just gone back to using Skype but now have it as an app on my phone. We used it twice yesterday and it worked OK (after an update) although we do tend to suffer from some delay so the conversation can be sometimes a bit stilted.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:57 pm

Hi,

Skype .......what's new.............

https://blogs.skype.com/news/2017/06/01 ... -of-skype/

For those in Andalucia............

"And the next time you’re on an adventure exploring the world (or relaxing poolside on a deserved break),"

can you actually read the phone screens in that sun......... :crazy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology ... pdate-ever

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:11 pm

Enrique wrote:Flexo.........that's a bold statement............I have used it for years and find its GREAT......... :D
I have used Skype since 2005. If you think it works great it means you have no clue what the old versions were (hint: they were hundreds of times better). Since 2010:ish I have not seen a single improvement, it has just increased in since and gotten laggier and sucked up more resources.