BBC iPlayer on LG Smart TV

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
poppy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

BBC iPlayer on LG Smart TV

Postby poppy1 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:31 pm

Why won't the BBC iPlayer work on my LG TV?
I've got ITV player, All 4 and Demand 5!

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Re: BBC iPlayer on LG Smart TV

Postby Paulinmalaga » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:56 pm

What VPN or DNS Changer are you using? And when you say BBCiplayer wont work .....what error message do you get? Or will it not load at all..... Also it will depend on the actual model of your LG TV not all will run BBC Iplayer
Last edited by Paulinmalaga on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I So Bella tis you

pensure1988
Resident

Postby pensure1988 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:59 pm

Please read the following articles on this subject for further understanding of this problem.Other forum users may have some suggestions for you.

Flash for Smart TVs - no more
Adobe is abandoning Flash development on pretty much every platform except the personal computer, which means Adobe is abandoning Flash for smartphones, tablets, Blu-ray players and Smart TVs.
Some TV manufacturers had incorporated Flash into web browsers but Adobe will no longer support these implementations. The current Flash enabled web browsers on Smart TVs will still work but receive no updates.

Instead Adobe encourages Smart TV manufacturers and developers to develop TV Apps based on Adobe’s AIR platform. With Adobe AIR App developers can implement interactive functions, video and more into TV Apps.

Adobe did not disclose why it has chosen to abandon Flash development for these devices. Adobe only says that they believe more in the TV App solution. However, Apple has been a strong opponent of Flash and has refused to support it on iPhones and iPads, which might have played a role.

LG has said that they are interested in using Adobe AIR for TV Apps on their Smart TVs.

Also read this

“Google has pulled the plug on its legacy Flash video player, which means that the YouTube app is no longer available on Smart TVs from 2012 and earlier.
Transitioning from Flash to HTML5
YouTube in 2012 introduced a HTML5-based video player to replace its Flash-based video player. This transition has been ongoing for several years, which has already forced Sony and others to remove the app.

The transition is now complete, Google has announced. YouTube’s Flash video player has as of this week reached “end-of-life”, which will affect a number of devices.

- “In 2012, YouTube and our device partners started distributing an HTML5 version of the YouTube app for TVs. This app has many new features and other improvements that are not available on the older Flash app. We now think it is the right time to end-of-life this app because as we continue to roll out new features to the current YouTube on TV app the legacy devices using the Flash app cannot get them,” the company wrote.”

wembason420
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wembason420 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:50 pm

Check whether your actual LG TV model is a BBC iPLAYER CERTIFIED DEVICE......some models work other don't....you can check on the iplayer website help section

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:55 pm

Works OK on my LG TV.
Are you in Spain or the UK, your haven't included your location in your profile?
Has it ever worked on yours?
In what way doesn't it work?
Which model LG TV do you have?
Are you using a UK DNS?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

wembason420
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wembason420 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:09 pm

Also be aware that It's worth noting that although the iplayer app is seemingly "built-in" to these LG devices, LG say it is still a "third-party app" and therefore outside of their control.

poppy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poppy1 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:16 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the replies.
I'm located in Spain and the TV is new so haven't had it working on it at all.
I've installed Nordvpn on my router (trying it out on their 3 day trial) but can't see it's a problem with that because BBC iPlayer is working on my other devices.
The player loads but when I try to sign in it say "Something went wrong. We were unable to sign you in" and if I try to watch anything I get "Something went wrong loading this programme. This is usually a temporary problem".
I'm guessing it's an LG issue as I can't see the model on the BBC iPLAYER CERTIFIED DEVICE :(

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:44 am

My LG TV model isn't listed on the BBC iPlayer Certified Devices list, but it works OK.
How do you get your internet connection?
How have you connected your TV to your router?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:30 am

I've got SmartyDNS and it's working OK on my LGTV. I thought that the BBC could now suss out when a VPN was being used and block it as opposed to a DNS. (I couldn't watch BBC via Browsec extension on Chrome although the other catch-up channels used to work OK.)

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:14 am

You can watch it using another brouser. I have installed firefox to watch the tv and I can pick up BBC programs!
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

poppy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poppy1 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:59 pm

I was connecting via WIFI and have now tried via an Ethernet cable, but no BBC......working OK on other devices.

Poppy

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:10 pm

Ohhhh I am now receiving notifications to my hotmail address :thumbup:
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:44 pm

poppy1 wrote:I was connecting via WIFI and have now tried via an Ethernet cable, but no BBC......working OK on other devices.

Poppy
I would suggest you try the free Trial of SmartyDNS and see if that works. If not you may just be unlucky in that the BBC iPlayer doesn't support your particular model of LG TV. Then you could try Updating the APP itself via the LG App store (never needed to do myself but assume you can and you may need to do this with VPN...again not sure seeing as you've set the Country region on the TV to U.K dont know how LG App store Geo Restrictions work for App downloads ).
If that doesnt help for the sake of 15 quid get yourself a NOWTV Box.....far better quality and response than the built in TV Apps IMO
I So Bella tis you

poppy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poppy1 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:26 am

After my last days free trial tomorrow I think I'll try the Smartydns and see how that goes.
There's no option for updating the app in the store.

Poppy

poppy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poppy1 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:03 am

Paulinmalaga wrote:
I would suggest you try the free Trial of SmartyDNS and see if that works
Thanks for the suggestion----have done exactly that and IT WORKS :D :D :D
It doesn't appear to have affected the speed much, unlike Nordvpn.
One more day on the trial and then, I think, this is my way to go!
Has anyone any negative comments with them?

Poppy

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:35 am

I use SmartyDNS. very reliable.
On the odd occasion I have had a problem/ query then their technical support has been prompt and efficient.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:04 am

Good news that Smarty has solved your problem, NO negative comments whatsoever and have been using for almost 2 yrs. And it will not affect your speeds at all unlike a VPN. Smarty give a great service at a very affordable price IMO

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:03 pm

I've recently subscribed too after trying their free trial (and being able to find out at long last how to input it into my router). My speeds have dropped to almost nothing at times since, but maybe that's because all the holidaymakers on the Costa are soaking up my signal before it wings its way up into the hills. Hopefully it is not due to Smarty, but at times the catch-up apps on the TV would not work for constant buffering. Other times it has worked brilliantly on the odd occasions we have used it, so it may just be our flaky internet connection which causes us problems.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:24 pm

Wicksey it must be your internet connection as Smarty DNS DOES NOT affect your internet speeds......the buffering you experience will in all probability be down to a high Ping reading.
https://www.smartydns.com/support/faq-smart-dns/#q4

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Absolutely agree. Smart dns whether smarty or others does not throttle.
I'm watching F1 pre qualifying show and just did a Wi-Fi speed test.

Check out my @Speedtest result! How fast is your internet? http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/3073937883