Satellite WiFi providers ?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Terry2017
Tourist

Satellite WiFi providers ?

Postby Terry2017 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:57 pm

Hi all,
I'm new here and hope that someone can point me in the right direction as I am hopeless with computer & IT etc. So hope I am not making a fool of myself asking the following question.
My wife and I plan to move out near to Velez Malaga later in the yer, however there is no internet available where we have bought, and for my wife's work she will require an excellent internet speed, she is being told by her employer a minimum 20 MPs.
Is there anyone out there receiving this level of speed from satellite WiFi ? Or is there another option we should be looking at.
Hope you can help.
Many thanks, Terry.

Flexo
Resident

Re: Satellite WiFi providers ?

Postby Flexo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:15 pm

It is not called wifi, it is satellite internet. Wifi is a local transmission over a few meters.

You can get decent speeds with satellite, but you will have long ping times (that is to say, response times between you do something and the server on the other side responds back). For example, you can download a file fast but there is a delay between you press the download button and you see the download window. "Excellent speeds" no.

Terry2017
Tourist

Postby Terry2017 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:44 pm

Hi Flexo,
Thanks for replying so quickly, and there you go, I told you I wasn't very computer literate.

So my wife says she has to go through Citrix? to get onto her work desktop, and work app's, which one of them is a live reporting system, does that make any sense at all? as it's way above me.

Is there any way we will be able to receive a decent enough internet connection speed for her to Work from home, or does it look like she is best renting desk space in Velez Malaga?
Terry.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:06 pm

Hi Terry2017,
Welcome to The Forum............. :D

Some info................

Citrix (Thick Client) Operates but some issues are known Citrix acknowledge the adverse effect of high latency links on their Application. Three options must be utilised to improve Citrix operation (SpeedScreen, Bitmap Caching &Mouse & keyboard queuing)

Citrix (Thin Client) Works Well A Citrix engineer should be consulted prior to its use over satellite to optimise the timeout parameters on the server.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:15 pm

More information here that may be helpful to you

https://ruralbroadband.co.uk/what-satel ... -used-for/
I So Bella tis you

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:49 pm

Hi,
" however there is no internet available where we have bought, "...That seems a bold statement for the Velez Malaga area

Have a Google search

Loads of supplies come to light..............Example

http://www.axartel.es/en/

Was covered in a Thread some years back but maybe useful...........

viewtopic.php?t=31870

Have a look at surrounding properties for the tell tail signs of WiMax ,round or square boxes on roofs pointing over to Remote antenna.

Have a wander round with your Smart Phone , that will show you what networks are about, then some door knocking to find out who they are with and what's available.......... :idea: A lot of clients don't change their Router ID so will have the ISP name followed by a number.
Last edited by Enrique on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:57 pm

How near to Velez Malaga are you?
A possible option is 4G from Vodafone for example.
Speeds vary depending where you live.
Just did a test and got
http://postimg.org/image/nb3a1oz09/
Cheers
Gerry
Edited to add:-
Why does your wife's boss think she needs a minimum of 20Mbps?
Is it so she can get large downloads quickly?
If so, it raises a potential problem.
Generally speaking, except for fibre optic or a fast landline, which you probably can't get most internet connections have a data cap.
For example I have a 5Gb monthly cap, plenty for what I need.
Gerry Harris

Terry2017
Tourist

Postby Terry2017 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:12 pm

Thanks for all the info guys, but you're all getting too technical for me.

Sorry, what I meant by no internet is there is no phone line or fibre optic cables.

Not sure which Citrix we use but we can find that out tomorrow.

We do get 4g, sometimes, and when we had visitors they did stream Netflix to our TV with no trouble, but that was @ a weekend when I assume it is less busy. But not sure what speed we were getting.

Are you saying a mobile WiFi may do the trick? If so that's brilliant, I can easily sort that.

Our neighbour does have satellite broadband, which he says is good, but when I asked him to text the speeds he was getting he said they were: from U.K upload 4,50 MPs, to U.K. Download 6,7Mps, which are no good for my wife's work, and he is in a more favourable position being able to see both up and down the valley, where I assume there are more transmitters, we can see down to Torre del Mar.

So, still confused by what our best option might be, mobile WiFi or satellite broadband?
Terry.
Last edited by Terry2017 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:35 pm

Maybe consider this if there is no Wimax like Iberbanda serving your area..

http://www.movistar.es/particulares/tel ... plus-radio

It is a lot monthly but having the constituent parts might be a lot more.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:39 pm

Hi Terry2017,
Please remove the location info from your Post..........this is a Public Forum..... :idea:

Find out exactly why you need 20Mbps download.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:01 pm

Terry2017 you have a pm

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:30 am

Hi Terry
Here is a brief summary of the available internet connection options in no particular order.
1. Telephone Network
When the internet started connection was via the copper telephone lines.
The speed available reduced according to the length/ condition of the piece of copper wire. So you got faster speeds the nearer you lived to an exchange. Fibre optic cable is now replacing/ adding to the telephone network. This does not suffer the "distance from the exchange" problem and very high speeds, several hundred Mbps, are possible.
However installation of Fibre Optic is only taking place in densely populated areas such as coastal towns.
No chance, as yet, of getting it in a small inland village.

2. Satellite
This system should be available anywhere in Spain. This system needs a satellite dish pointing exactly to the satellite in roughly SE with a clear view of the sky. Speeds are usually around 20Mbps but with a high latency.

3. Micro wave
A typical Micro wave system is WiMax. This needs a small dish pointing exactly at the transmitter aerial with a clear line of site. No buildings, trees etc. blocking the signal. Typical speeds are usually below 10 Mbps or more commonly about 4 Mbps

4. 3G/4G signals
These are supplied by the telephone companies. Reception, and hence the speed/ quality of the signal depends on how far away ids the transmitting mast. It does not need line of sight. Speeds of up to about 60Mbps are available. Big advantage of this system is that you can use it on portable devices so you can use your laptop/ tablet/ smart phone wherever you are provided you can get a signal.

5. WiFi
WiFi is a very short range system. Typically used in the home to get as signal in a different room to where your router, which receives the signal via 1-4 as mentioned above.
Shopping complexes, such as El Ingenio use it to provide a signal, via repeaters, almost anywhere within their complex.

One other thing to be aware of, for all the above systems, is that there is usually a data cap. This is a limit of how much, in total, data you can download/ upload in a month.

So it is down to which system you can get where you live.

Hope this helps
cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:35 am

Enrique wrote:Hi Terry2017,
Please remove the location info from your Post..........this is a Public Forum..... :idea:
I believe that location is somewhere in the sea near Barrow in Furness. So not likely to get many undesirable visitors. :think:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:41 am

gerryh wrote: 3. Micro wave
A typical Micro wave system is WiMax. This needs a small dish pointing exactly at the transmitter aerial with a clear line of site. No buildings, trees etc. blocking the signal. Typical speeds are usually below 10 Mbps or more commonly about 4 Mbps
We have a WiMax system and it can reach 45mb/s download and 10mb/s upload. Ping is usually 10ms. It also gives us a phone connection using our old number. Sadly, it is only available in the Granada area and on the coast.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:48 am

Hi Gerry,
When I checked location out it was to a "newish" build Villa with swimming pool, with a few similar buildings near by.

Item 3) of your post

WiMax has improved over the years, our ISP has gone from a maximum of 0.5Mbps to 12 Mbps, I'm currently on 10 Mbps and get that.

As you point out it will depend on who covers the area and signal strength.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:50 am

Hi Sid and Enrique
What I wrote was fairly generalised. Would have been a long post to go into more detail.
I think sid's WiMax system is an exception, unless they have all greatly improved since I last looked in detail.
But as you have said, WiMax systems are very localised.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:54 am

Mine is pretty much the same as Enrique, contract for 10, get 11.5 more often than not and a max of 25 if I wish to pay for it. NO download limit. At present includes TV, I have PMed the OP details as I feel sure they will cover his area, obviously local geography will come into play.

wembason420
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wembason420 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:50 am

Sid what company is it that you use that give these kind of speeds? I am about to go that route and all the ones I've looked at so far Airnet, Jet Net, Bandawifi don't come remotely close to the speeds your getting and a rough price guide would be great.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:01 am

This is the company. They have a number of packages. Mine is the "Radio Fibra" with phone and mobile contract. It's a similar deal to Movistar Fusion and about the same price.

http://www.radiokable.net/

This their coverage so you should be all right.

http://www.radiokable.net/cobertura/

Sid

wembason420
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wembason420 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:13 am

Thanks Sid, had a look but am I missing something as the best package I could find was quoting a max of 30Mbps nowhere could I find one advertised offering 45 dl 10 ul that you have?