BBC iplayer

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Re: BBC iplayer

Postby firsttango » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:47 pm

Thanks, on what device did you get the VPN working?

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:48 pm

I am using Chrome and cleared the Browsing History and Download History for the first time in forever. Using SmartyDNS I am getting the BBC iPlayer OK, also ITV Hub but that has been working OK anyway. Still no joy with All 4. See how things are tomorrow.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:49 pm

firsttango wrote:Message to NorthandSouth......I don't want to hear how well your iplayer is working in the Cotswolds otherwise when I'm back in Bristol next I'll sneak round and block your signals :lol:
I am getting bored with not having to worry about DNS and VPN settings though!

:lolno: :lolno:

poppy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poppy1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:02 pm

firsttango wrote:Thanks, on what device did you get the VPN working?
On all of my devices that have the Smarty DNS App installed. Switched to the VPN and set it to London ..and hey ho...BBC iPlayer works.
Sadly, can't get it on my smart TV though...will have to mirror it from my Samsung Tab as and when needed.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:08 pm

Great thanks for the info

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:53 am

It's working again this morning on my TV, but Smarty is still showing it as a problem with their site header.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:56 pm

I moved to Smarty because Unblockus was getting this kind of problem all the time. When I went to cancel UnBlockus, they gave me 2 months free so I have kept them going and this last couple of days it seems that Unblockus is fine but the normally reliable Smarty is now getting the problem.

A friend of mine has two routers active in his bar. One to unblock and the other for the clients and it's easy enough to move between them. They don't both have DNS services because he needs the second one as he can't change the DNS settings on the one supplied by the ISP but I would imagine it would be fesible to have two routers with two diffrent DNS servers running at the same time should one wish to do so in order to move quickly between them, the only problem I have been told being IP conflicts but my friend doesn't seem to get any.

I certainly wouldn't pay out just to avoid the annoyance of having to change DNS settings as and when needed but if you a already have two routers that can both be changed, then why not?

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:40 pm

markwilding wrote: the only problem I have been told being IP conflicts but my friend doesn't seem to get any.
Don't see why this would be a possible issue as the routers would be serving out ip addresses from different network numbers. If they are plugged into each other, and you'll have no choice if there is only one internet access point in the location then they have to be on different networks.

Router A, configured as it is normally, lets say network 192.168.100.0, WAN port as per ISP and DNS as per Smarty or other service. Router B WAN port needs to be plugged into a LAN port on router A and manually assigned an address in the 192.168.100.0 network, not one that is in the DHCP pool, say 192.168.100.2, and manually set the DNS addresses. Router B's LAN configuration needs to be set to a different network number, say 192.168.150.0 which will be served to clients connected to that router.

No scope for ip conflicts there.
Regards

Bob

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:06 pm

That's what I would say as well. The only reason I put it because it was said to me by an ISP technician. I would imagine it was not something that comes up often so he must have jusr given me his opinion not expert knowledge .

It's not even necessary to set up two diffrent IP addresses as the second router detects the first one and assigns itself a different one.
Even though I can't see the first one one in the network, i can type it's address into the browser to get into the settings.

But as a expert gave me that advice, thought I should mention it to cover myself

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:41 pm

I have 6 TP-Link Powerline adaptors to give whole house WiFi coverage. The first unit has to be attached to the router. With this setup, it would be impossible to switch easily between two routers unless you reconnected the main Powerline unit to the second router when you wanted to change. That's why I am looking at a VPN solution for the router (in addition to SmartDns set up in the router) where I can turn the VPN off or on easily when needed.

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:20 pm

Not really a normal setup is it with powerline adaptors all over the house. Of course you would have to attach the primary adaptor to the alternate router for that to propagate the wifi signal for the second router.

Must be a mansion as the wifi from my routers covers pretty much the entire place, at least the 2,4G does, 5G doesn't go through walls so readily. Although I admit that my dd-wrt (vpn router) has the ability to crank up the transmit power, and my normal router has a 'wall penetrating' mode.

Certainly with DD-wrt you can simply enable or disable the vpn as necessary at the click of a button. Don't know about other stock routers as none of my older routers have built in vpn capability. My new one on the other hand does, and it's pretty neat allowing you to selectively define which devices use the vpn and which don't when it is enabled.

How much hassle is it to make the powerline adaptor switch to the alternate router, as opposed to entering the router's config and enabling or disabling vpn?
Regards

Bob

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:33 pm

As I understand it, I would have to physically connect the main powerline adaptor to the other router and pair it with all the other adaptors every time. If both routers had the same SSID and password that might make it easier, but I don't know if that would create conflicts.

Turning off the VPN (probably using the ASUS app) would seem to be easy. I have yet to try that.

Our house is single story, but about 60m long with a lot of steel in the construction. I use multiple adapters to get the best possible speed across the whole area, including areas in the garden. Unfortunately the router is at one end of the house so its coverage is limited. I could get away with two (plus the central unit) but speeds suffer and they are pretty cheap and are plug and play.

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:52 pm

Sounds painful.

Do you actually need VPN over the whole house, or could you get sufficient coverage within reach of a second router for the devices that you need the VPN for?
Regards

Bob

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:48 pm

I doubt it as the two TVs that need WiFi are too far apart to share a signal from a router unless I repositioned the routers and that is not easy. I have phone points all over the place, but I only connect to a basic router that needs to be near the WiMax controller, which is at one end of the house so cabling into the middle would be a problem.

If I had known about all these problems when I built the house I would have cabled it accordingly. I put in Sat and AV cables all over the place, but 17 years ago ethernet cabling and more was not a consideration! Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

As I said earlier wouldn't it be nice if the BBC et al offered you the option to pay for all this stuff. Most of us are not interested in cheating the TV suppliers, it's just that we don't really have the option to subscribe. No wonder Netfix and Amazon are creaming in the subs, but that doesn't give us UK TV.

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:25 pm

Even if you subscribe don't you still have to fiddle Netflix and Amazon to get the UK program set? Not that I have much experience of either service. I do have a netflix account, but watch most of their programming that i want to see via Kodi. And as you say still no live TV though.

Personally I have no interest in ripped off sports and movie channels. Just want reliable BBC, ITV, etc.

How about a second router and a WiFi repeater, they are cheap as chips. Would that give enough coverage for the TVs?
Regards

Bob

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:49 pm

casita-bonita wrote:Even if you subscribe don't you still have to fiddle Netflix and Amazon to get the UK program set?
What do you mean by fiddle? I get Netflix U.K by riding off the back of my daughters account in the U.K as one of the number of allowed devices, likewise with Amazon Prime U.K courtesy of Son in Law. With Netflix not sure how many devices you are allowed but I can access on TV via Amazon fire on Macbook and ipad...never encountered "logged in to too many devices" scenario.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:05 am

I use Netflix Spain and Amazon Spain - no need for DNS/VPN. Slightly limited catalogue, but good enough for me.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:19 pm

firsttango wrote:With Netflix not sure how many devices you are allowed but I can access on TV via Amazon fire on Macbook and ipad...never encountered "logged in to too many devices" scenario.
With Netfix it depends the package you subscribe to. I want 4K so up to 4 can watch at the same time. Netflix doesn't restict the amount of devices like say, Now TV, it restricts the the amount of users online. Logically, you will only use 1 device at a time so that's why it's never a problem.

I'm not sure which Netflix version I'm using. I suspect though, i always get the Spanish version. I don't watch much on Netflix, my wife and son tend to use it more. As long as the new series of Narcos is available, i'll be happy

Amazon is the Spanish version but there's nothing on there that I want to watch. I watched a couple of the old Top Gear guys in their new program but as Top Gear was never my cup of tea, nor was that.
Last edited by markwilding on Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:08 pm

markwilding wrote:
firsttango wrote:With Netflix not sure how many devices you are allowed but I can access on TV via Amazon fire on Macbook and ipad...never encountered "logged in to too many devices" scenario.
With Netfix it depends the package you subscribe to. I want 4K so up to 4 can watch at the same time. Netflix doesn't restict the amount of devices like say, Now TV, it restricts the the amount of users online. Logically, you will only use 1 device at a time so that's why it's never a problem.

Amazon is the Spanish version but there's nothing on there that I want to watch. I watched a couple of the old Top Gear guys in their new program but as Top Gear was never my cup of tea, nor was that.
4k package also so with your explanation all becomes clear....Thx.....If "Bosch" is available on your Amazon.es you should give it a try also "American Gods" is worth a watch.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:06 am

Sid, any update on your new Router? Have you got VPN installed and tested? Does look a nice bit of kit and a very keen price