BBC iplayer

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Unicorn
Resident

BBC iplayer

Postby Unicorn » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:31 am

Anyone else having problems?
I'm getting 'There is a problem....' notice............

Is it just me?

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Re: BBC iplayer

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:57 am

No you are not alone everyone who's using SmartyDns cannot access BBC IPlayer on Nowtv (and other devices)....below message at their web site

"Problems with BBC iPlayer on Smart DNS : At the moment it's not possible to unblock BBC iPlayer using our Smart DNS service, we are working to fix this as soon as possible."
I So Bella tis you

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:12 am

Working ok at the moment with smartdnsproxy. They did have an issue a week or so ago, which they fixed, so I assume your service will be able to sort it aswell.
Regards

Bob

wisden
Tourist

Postby wisden » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:12 pm

The BBC are doing a great deal of blocking SmartDNS, SmartyDNS, Getflix, Cactus and others, and they are doing it well. On all DNS providers they are taking days to unblock the BBC.
It seems that if you want DNS for the BBC and catchup, you need to reduce the time of your contract and see how things go.
Either the DNS ptoviders will find a way round the problem or BBC will find a way of permanantly bloxking all DNS servers.
Any ideas of overconing this problem would be appreciated. :?:

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:04 pm

Working well here in Gloucestershire though, :wave: :D

As an aside, one of my cousins sons now works for the beeb and in particular on the iPlayer side of things. They have a team of people constantly working to securely geo block it. They know all about the hacks and smart DNS providers.

Would be so easy if this broadcasting rights issue was lifted, in this day and age of world wide internet connectivity it does seem daft to me that if you're in another country you cannot access your favourite tv station.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:15 pm

northandsouth wrote: As an aside, one of my cousins sons now works for the beeb and in particular on the iPlayer side of things. They have a team of people constantly working to securely geo block it. They know all about the hacks and smart DNS providers.
I wish their team luck :lol: They simply don't have the resources to tackle every single VPN Provider, DNS changer or probably the inclination TBH. They are going through the motions disrupting one or two hacks at a time which will be back up and running in short order. Seems to be affecting only SmartyDNS this time as another poster said it was Smartdnsproxy last week (fixed and working again)......iplayer working fine for me on all other back up hacks

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:23 pm

iPlayer not working with SmartyDNS (as reported above). But working ok if I turn on Smarty VPN directed to London.

Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evelyn » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:29 pm

I use a free VPN and never had any problems with Iplayer.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:33 pm

Evelyn wrote:I use a free VPN and never had any problems with Iplayer.
Which one, if you don't mind me asking?

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:38 pm

firsttango wrote:
northandsouth wrote: As an aside, one of my cousins sons now works for the beeb and in particular on the iPlayer side of things. They have a team of people constantly working to securely geo block it. They know all about the hacks and smart DNS providers.
I wish their team luck :lol: They simply don't have the resources to tackle every single VPN Provider, DNS changer or probably the inclination TBH. They are going through the motions disrupting one or two hacks at a time which will be back up and running in short order. Seems to be affecting only SmartyDNS this time as another poster said it was Smartdnsproxy last week (fixed and working again)......iplayer working fine for me on all other back up hacks
I quite agree, that's why I like millions of others would welcome a lifting of the rights issue. But that won't happen anytime soon. Hey ho.
But as I say all that DNS and VPN stuff is in the past now for me :wave:

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:45 pm

northandsouth wrote: But as I say all that DNS and VPN stuff is in the past now for me :wave:
So how are you going to access all those Italian late night soaps and game shows such as Tutti Frutti that I know you love so much from Rural Gloucestershire? :lol:

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:58 pm

firsttango wrote:
northandsouth wrote: But as I say all that DNS and VPN stuff is in the past now for me :wave:
So how are you going to access all those Italian late night soaps and game shows such as Tutti Frutti that I know you love so much from Rural Gloucestershire? :lol:
Damn it I never thought about that :oops:

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:04 pm

So would it be worth having a 'back up' dns? I had to plumb my dns into the router so could another be put on?

My struggle with technology continues......................

Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evelyn » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:09 pm

It is Free VPN by Free VPN.org available on play store.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:13 pm

Unicorn wrote:So would it be worth having a 'back up' dns? I had to plumb my dns into the router so could another be put on?

My struggle with technology continues......................
Only YOU can be the judge of that? Paying $49 for a year with Unolocator may be worth it to some but not to others......takes your choice. But you'd still have to access your Router to input the Unolocator (or other DNS changer) DNS Settings in place of Smarty if your wanting to use iPlayer on NOWTV Box. So many variations upon a theme that work on "open" devices such as FireTV and Stick etc etc.....all down to personal choice and what works for you

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:21 pm

Evelyn wrote:It is Free VPN by Free VPN.org available on play store.
Will not work for the NOWTV Box
I So Bella tis you

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:31 pm

And most routers will not accept a VPN.

Sid

Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evelyn » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:54 pm

Sorry didnt see that the question was about a specific box.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:26 pm

Evelyn wrote:It is Free VPN by Free VPN.org available on play store.
Thanks Evelyn, I'll try it as a backup.

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:31 pm

My VPN (paid for) was geoblocked last week. Took them 36 hours to get round the problem and give me a new VPN server. I use a NowTV box.
Gerry