Televidiosat and iptv box questions

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
zanuck
Resident

Televidiosat and iptv box questions

Postby zanuck » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:33 pm

It's been a while since I've posted on the forum, so please be gentle.

Some time ago we had the "old" sky/UK satellite tv services and then landline and Movistar broadband to the house and it all worked fine, but the house got used less over the past couple of years and so we cancelled the Movistar service and have the few remaining freesat(?) channels plus tdt.

I've been thinking of PAYG wifi from Televideosat and would welcome any comments about their services - I guess that responses via PM would be best.

When we had Movistar, I used to use Filmon via my laptop connected to the tv via HDMI cable to watch uk tv, which was fine

I'm aware of but have no knowledge of IPTV Set top boxes, so the naive question is:
Assuming that I take the. PAYG wifi from Televideosat, should I continue with Filmon via my laptop or buy an IPTV box.

This post has been painfully typed in almost a letter at a time on my android phone, so looking forward to being able to use the qwerty keyboard on the laptop again....

Thanks in advance Zanuck

casita-bonita
Resident

Re: Televidiosat and iptv box questions

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:24 pm

Unless you subscribe, I.e pay money Filmon is now a nono as it cuts of after 3 minutes or so.
Regards

Bob

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:48 am

Unless you watch channels like DAVE etc., I would go for a Now TV box or Amazon fire TV and forget about paying for a TV service.

The NOW tv box would mean your viewing habits might need to change because you would only be able to watch catch up from channel 4 and 5 but you would be able to see both ITV and BBC live as well as catch up. It would also give you access to the Sky channels.

Using Fire TV you'd get more live channels with the TV player app plus the same catch up services offered with Now TV and access to Netflix. It would also be possible to install some other Apps giving you a whole range IPTV channels. I personally am not a fan of these Apps because of the video quality and buffering.
A VPN or DNS server would be required to get the best out of both boxes

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:47 am

casita-bonita wrote:Unless you subscribe, I.e pay money Filmon is now a nono as it cuts of after 3 minutes or so.
Thanks for the update on Filmon; it must be two years or more since I last used them over landline broadband.

Sounds like commercial reality must have kicked in.

Regards Z

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:56 am

Thanks markwilding for your full reply, very helpful.

I read a post and the replies about Amazon fire suggesting that a new release is imminent, is a Fire the same thing (in layman's terms) as an iptv box?

Setting up a vpn is probably not viable for payg wifi for holiday visits.

Thanks Z

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:15 am

If you want to keep to a filmon type tv watching via the laptop theres tvcatchup website and app thats the same as filmon but doesnt cut out after three mins!

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:11 pm

zanuck wrote:Thanks markwilding for your full reply, very helpful.

I read a post and the replies about Amazon fire suggesting that a new release is imminent, is a Fire the same thing (in layman's terms) as an iptv box?

Setting up a vpn is probably not viable for payg wifi for holiday visits.

Thanks Z
Basically its an android box with Amazon's homepage/frontend.

Re the film on subscription, yup guess they realised that they needed to make money. The main nonsubscription alternatives are Mobdro or UKtvnow. Also Tovoew and tvplayer but you will need DNS or VPN for the latter two and get hold of an earlier version of tvplayer as they are getting good at sussing out your location, I.e not in UK. Lastly they latter have much fewer channels, primarily the main UK free to air.
Regards

Bob

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:13 pm

Forgot to add that the DNS/VPN service I use is usd34 for two years. Smartdnsproxy and works like a charm
Regards

Bob

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:47 pm

SmartyDNS are very similar in price and like Smartdnsproxy they very often have special deals. Last year I referred 4 different friends to them and they gave me 2 months free for each person giving me 8 months free.....every little helps :thumbup:

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:17 pm

casita-bonita wrote:Also Tovoew and tvplayer but you will need DNS or VPN for the latter two and get hold of an earlier version of tvplayer as they are getting good at sussing out your location, I.e not in UK. Lastly they latter have much fewer channels, primarily the main UK free to air.
[/quote]
Bob
Here's an odd one, recently brought a new Firestick (alexa remote) back from u.k for the TV in our top room. My Smarty doesn't show that it unblocks TVPlayer anymore yet the app plays perfectly with both live and on demand channels.....as the sick was brand new and I downloaded all the Apps I wanted whilst in U.K I would assume it is the latest version of the App (4.0.5 "4019"). Strange but am not complaining though :D (Maybe Smarty have overlooked adding it to their graphic)

https://www.smartydns.com/unblocked-web ... iretvstick;

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:07 pm

FT, have to admit that I haven't tried the very latest tvplayer release. I'm still running 3.1.x as the subsequent 3.3.x releases demanded that location services be enabled otherwise it simply exited the app. Hence I turned off autoupdate and stuck with 3.1 since it worked on my tvbox with DNS redirection.

Does the latest version no longer require location to be enabled? As far as I could see if you enabled location it would figure that you weren't in the UK and exit anyway, kind of lose/lose.

Methinks that I'll install 4.x and see what happens as I can always revert to my earlier version.

BTW it was an after eval deal that was usd34 for two years subscription.
Regards

Bob

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:22 pm

elusive wrote:If you want to keep to a filmon type tv watching via the laptop theres tvcatchup website and app thats the same as filmon but doesnt cut out after three mins!
Thanks elusive,
Just downloaded the app to my phone and plated a few secs of BBC 1 and itv1, both worked fine.

Z

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:33 pm

Bob, I just installed the app and opened BTW its a whole new layout from my app on my other Firetv see screenshots may be of use.....

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:37 pm

The last time I tried TVplayer, it was working again with SmartyDNS. As I posted before, viewing habits need to be changed to get the best of modern TV. Watching TV live is mostly unnecessary maybe apart from live sport and news.

I like TV but have limited time to watch so I like the fact I can pick and choose. For example, I would never have found the BBC documatory series about the causes and what hppened during the Vietnam war.

FT, watched the first series of Bosch. Really good. Thanks for the recommendation :clap:

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:54 pm

firsttango wrote:Bob, I just installed the app and opened BTW its a whole new layout from my app on my other Firetv see screenshots may be of use.....
Just quickly installed the current play store version on my tablet. Start the app and first thing that it says is 'no location detected, make sure location is enabled' and there's a button to enable it. No other options. If I enable location, which I can on my tablet it immediately says 'not in the uk etc' the only option offered is exit.

Your screenshots were an install on firetv were they?
Regards

Bob

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:05 pm

Quick update. Just installed a location faker app. Use it to fake my GPS location to UK and tvplayer works when I enable location services.

Need to try it on my TV box, but of course that doesn't have GPS sensor so not sure if the faker app will work in that instance. Have to play.
Regards

Bob

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:09 pm

Yes the screen shots on the New Alexa Firestick.......I installed from Amazon Apps Store whilst in the U.K before hooking it up here......I included screenshot one so as you could identify it was the Firestick homepage layout with the Amazon music app in blue etc......so as I see it here the app is working without any form of trickery or vpn or dns as Smarty don't seem to unblock it if their unblock list is accurate

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:53 pm

Another hmmnnnn. Just turned of location and it is still working on my tablet. Completely off the wall suggestion here. Maybe it only checks your location on first run and stores it in cache. As you said you installed it whilst in the uk so maybe if this is the case yours checked OK as being in the UK and has not reestablished your location since plugging it in here in Spain.
Regards

Bob

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:12 pm

Yes I guess thats a Possible explanation, it has been running here for about six weeks though.....well I'm not going to clear the Apps cache anytime soon :D

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:16 pm

Smart move :lol:
Regards

Bob