Taking my sky box?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
TishTash
Andalucia.com Amigo

Taking my sky box?

Postby TishTash » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:20 pm

I have a sky box which has 2tb's worth of storage, but as far as I know not only is the storage useless without a sky account the actual sky box won't work in spain. Does anyone know if I should just leave my sky box for the new owners of my house here in the UK or take it with me?

gruff
Resident

Re: Taking my sky box?

Postby gruff » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:36 am

For what it is worth Tishtash... I started with a basic Sky box many years ago. I replaced it with a Freesat box which has done the job for some years. It got to the stage not many channels to watch but my good lady used it for watching Sky news in a morning. Last time I was out the Freesat box went belly up on the last day so I quickly dug out the old sky box and still a few channels on it including Sky news. Problem is the batteries in the remote must have gone and I've lost the info. on how to get it working again.

So I think the answer to your question is the box will probably work in Spain but whether it is worth the hassle I don't know.

satandpcguy
Resident

Re: Taking my sky box?

Postby satandpcguy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:28 pm

The Sky box will work...as long as it managed to get a signal from the satellites.
Most of the Sky pay channels should be available to you with a reasonable sized dish (say a 125x135cm).
But non Sky channels, like BBC ITV C4 and FIves, and a few pay channels like Discovery (which recently changed beams), may not be avilable to you unless you have a large (1.8 or 2.4m) dish.

That said, you can use your box with subscription for the "Live" sky channels, and with a smartdns service, use the iplayer hub all4 etc catch up services for the other channels...
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it