Mozailla Firefox

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Mozailla Firefox

Postby Enrique » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:11 pm

Hi Granite,

" I plan to install Linux Mint 17.1 xfce on the laptop and Linux Mint 18.2 on the desktop"........why not 18.2 on both....... :?:

Having played with xfce and Cinnamon I would recommend using Cinnamon.......... :idea:

If you're looking for a very light weight linux install...........AntiX 16.2 is a great option for very old hardware with low memory. put this on an old HP system the client had XP SP1......nothing worked on the Internet as the versions where not supported.

For linux systems you will need to turn on the Firewall............ sudo ufw enable

I run my linux systems without anti Antivirus............if you go where others fear to tread you may want to run one.......... :idea:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Granite » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:52 pm

Hi Enrique,

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1501, Processor AMD Turon 64x2, 2GB Ram, 32 Bit OS I came up with Mint 17.1 xfce from internet searches but I will certainly look at your suggestion. Not sure how straight forward the whole process of downloading and installing Linux systems is but there is lots of info available so I will give it a go! One problem I do face is limited download as we have no land line and rely on a monthly 10Gb of wireless. Easy to exceed! Thanks.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:07 am

Hi Granite,
To keep the Mods happy best to use PM so we can mull over some ideas on the way forward for your Project.

I'll put some figures (Sizes) together later so as to keep your Downloads to a minimum.

Please PM me the specs of the Windows 8 system...........also look in the Device Manager for the Wireless adapter make and Model if you use one.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Granite » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:51 pm

Hi Enrique,
Many thanks. Will do.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:59 pm

Granite wrote:Thanks for the advice. The Malware was all MindSparc. I ran Adwcleaner and Malwarebytes several times but after initially being able to remove the malware it always reappeared when I opened Chrome again. I then reset Chrome and all now appears well.
Malware today in 2017 is likely to be more problematic than virii as they tend to get unnoticed by the antivirus programs and the antimalware programs by some reason often don't remove the "inject" parts.

I have script turned off by default so I tend to realize when something is trying to install itself, I think it has saved me many times even though all web developers say I am an idiot who thinks web script can "possibly do any harm".