Mirror phone to TV

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Mirror phone to TV

Postby AkoAko » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:31 am

casita-bonita wrote:15 minutes..... Can anyone lend me a long stout rope with which I can hang myself......... :roll:
Only if you promise to bring it back afterwards .

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:43 am

Bob I think it must be as my laptop is Win10 and it was already on there as an option. (It is a Spanish bought laptop and I had it all changed into the UK version but whether this makes a difference I don't know - I would guess that the Win10 set up is the same.)

Northandsouth, it's quite an old phone, a Samsung J1 which I think is a fairly basic model (which suits me!). I don't need the casting now but when I first got the Smart TV I did try out all the various apps and couldn't see how to connect my phone but managed with the laptop. I now have a DNS set up in my Wifi so I don't use the casting option as I just watch (terrestial TV) catchup or Youtube directly via the TV.

AkoAko my TV has the screen share Miracast system and simply mirrors what is on my laptop, so if I can stream a programme on my laptop it can be 'sent' to the TV to watch on a bigger screen. I presume that this is what Bob is trying to do with the phone, to send it to the TV to enable it to be watched on a larger screen.

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:54 am

AkoAko my TV has the screen share Miracast system and simply mirrors what is on my laptop, so if I can stream a programme on my laptop it can be 'sent' to the TV to watch on a bigger screen. I presume that this is what Bob is trying to do with the phone, to send it to the TV to enable it to be watched on a larger screen.[/quote]

Thanks for that info ,we have Mirrorcast is something i have no experience of as we only have windows 7 on the laptop and i understand it can only be downloaded or included in later versions of Windows . There is also another , think its called DNS or something like that which is als for mirroring screens but again not looked into it and using the LG browser is the quickest and simplest method for us using live TV sites .

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:36 pm

First of all, DNS has nothing to do with Mirrorcast.
The reason why it's less likely to have Mirrorcast on a Windows 7 laptop is that to use it requires minimum specifications, however, it is possible . I can cast from the laptop to my Samsung TV but not from my IPhone.
To do so on Windows 10 , go to settings/system/display, then scroll down to multiple displays and click connect to wireless display, to the right of the screen the options will appear, click into your TV option and look for the message on the TV so as to give permission.
I never use it much and it's a little hit and miss.

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:18 pm

Dont know why i thought DNS , stuck in my mind from going through TV settings at a time i wanted to mirror my laptop , looked again and the third method on the TV for viewing things from laptop to TV was WiDi , unfortunately my Laptop wasn't compatible .

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:23 pm

I bought a first generation Widi but it was really hit and miss. A few years ago i was looking for the best way to get football and the Iplayer up onto the big TV.
With the advent of decent streaming services I personally don’t need to do it any more.
Actually, the best way to mirror from a phone to TV is with one of these cables
https://www.amazon.es/gp/aw/d/B06Y3X3XZ ... ref=plSrch