remembering passwords

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
USINSPAIN
Resident

remembering passwords

Postby USINSPAIN » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:24 pm

Seem to have to many passwords to remember thinking of paying to get them in a system that is secure but also easy to use been trying Dashlane before I pay the premium anyone got any better suggestions or any other systems that are good to use
Thank you

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: remembering passwords

Postby gerryh » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:46 pm

I use Roboform from https://www.roboform.com/
Securely stores well over 100 password/ login details.
Have it on my Android phone, Desktop PC and both laptops.
Syncs the passwords/ login in details across all my devices.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:25 pm

Me to! Never any problems in many years of use.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:26 pm

Hi,
Another one for Roboform.......... :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:44 pm

LastPass is equally good.

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:49 pm

Call me a cynic but I like to keep my passwords locally where I can keep an eye on them. Hence I use passwordsafe, and have done for more years the I care to remember.
Regards

Bob

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:18 am

So what happens if one of those password saving sites gets hacked. Keeping them all in one place anywhere
And especially online on such a site hardly sounds safe to me. Remember your banking details in your head and any random passwords for sites like this right them down (without putting A.com next to it) i doubt anyone cares about having you password for a random message board

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:54 am

Hi elusive,

" Remember your banking details in your head"...........OK until those little grey cells start to misread............ :(

If you're going to use a Password manager, read the reviews, has it it been hacked and if so how was it handled, most give a 30 day Trial so you can see if you like the interface and features.............. :idea:

Plenty of light reading on the subject................Example.......

https://blog.dashlane.com/a-skeptics-gu ... -security/
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:39 pm

What i done is sent an email to myself with all this info...

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:08 pm

You mean you sent all your passwords to yourself?

If so, that is about the worst thing you can do as your email account is the easiest thing to hack!

Sid

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:22 pm

So printing my passwords on a sheet of paper and leaving them under my doormat isn't secure?

I'll put them under the plant pot instead!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:07 pm

I started programming on mainframe computers, an IBM 1401, in the early 1960s. Long before PCs had been invented.
After a few years we got desktop terminals to connect to the mainframe.
It was decided that each terminal had to have a password to connect to the mainframe.
It was not uncommon to find the password written on a sticky label on the underside of the keyboard.
That was not the case on my terminal. I remembered my password and regularly changed it.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:08 pm

Remember your banking details in your head"...........OK until those little grey cells start to misread..........
------------------

Yeah fair enough.i guess i'm alot younger than most on here. But putting them all in one place online gives me the heebie jeebies. But i do suffer with anxiety so everything worries me!!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:27 pm

Chunky Monky wrote:So printing my passwords on a sheet of paper and leaving them under my doormat isn't secure?

I'll put them under the plant pot instead!
It’s better than sending an email which contains them to your PC!

The one thing you must never do is keep them on your PC in any form. If you do so, they are easily hackable.

I do have a print out, but it is well hidden but, for me, easily accesible, and no, it isn’t under the doormat or plant pot. My digital copy is on a SD card and is again well hidden well away from the PC. They are not on my PC in any form. Password managers are great for online access but there are times when you need access to set up a new account on another device. I use LastPass.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:19 pm

gerryh wrote:I started programming on mainframe computers, an IBM 1401, in the early 1960s. Long before PCs had been invented.
Interesting reminiscence Gerry. I was working for IBM in the 60s and remember being on a course at the IBM Hursley labs in Winchester where we programmed a 7000 series monster computer. An interesting experience! I went on to spend many years selling monster IBM computers where the price was in the millions!

How things have changed where, now, you can get as much computing power in a washing machine.

Sid

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:13 pm

Slightly off topic but Sid and Gerry with your memories of IBM I think you may enjoy the series on Amazon called Halt and Catch Fire (I know from previous posts that you have Amazon Sid). Have a look at the trailer. Well worth watching. Drama documenting the advent of home PC's in the early 80's onwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWrioRji60A

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:20 am

I have just tried LastPass and its a nice program and seems to have everything i require however Addblock Plus is causing a problem , its not allowing LastPass to communicate with the servers to update the list , its fine on the laptop copy but not a lot of use if i dont update it and need to access it from a different machine . The only way around the problem i can see at the moment is to DISABLE Addblock from the Chrome Extensions and refresh then ENABLE it again . Has anyone found an easier workaround .

Computer prices are the most obvious way to demonstrate how costs drop with advances in tech and availability . In 1983 i bought a PC to do the accounts for my shops and it cost £2500 and was 16 bit , most at the time were 8 bit so it was twice as fast as anything else available . The PC used one 7 inch floppy for the program and another for the raw data . The accounts program was in modules , VAT , Balance sheets , Day to day accounts etc , each cost £400 and most businesses would need at least 3 so a basic system would run at around £4000 . Compared that to what it costs now , i can do all the accounts much quicker and with a great deal more information available on a low spec laptop for about £200 using a FREE spreadsheet .

I did get a free module and a few hundred quid back due to the face that the programmers were not accountants and made some pretty basic mistakes , the system was market at small private businesses and adding the owners drawings to staff costs was the first error i found , each time an error was found a new disk had to be sent to everyone , in the first 3 months i had 5 new program disks .

There was no Windows , everything was DOS then so a lot more involved , people buying equipment after Windows was introduced have no idea how easy they had it .

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:48 am

firsttango wrote:Have a look at the trailer. Well worth watching. Drama documenting the advent of home PC's in the early 80's onwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWrioRji60A
Thanks for that - it looks interesting. Very pertinent to my time with IBM as I was part of the group that introduced the IBM PC to the market and helped set up the dealer network to sell it. Interesting times.

Now back on topic!

Sid