Smart TVs with UK apps

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Smart TVs with UK apps

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:27 pm

Samsung Smart TVs have always been recommended on this forum for users wishing to change the app country to the UK instead of Spain.

LG in the past we’re much more limited, but has this now changed?

I can’t find any definitive answers on the Internet so does anyone have any experience with the latest models from either Samsung or LG?

Yes, I know there are plenty of ways of getting UK apps via other bolt on boxes such as Firestick and Chromecast, but that is not what I am asking.

Sid

dxf
Resident

Re: Smart TVs with UK apps

Postby dxf » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:32 pm

Hola

I seem to remember that the TV companies are now having a spat in that they are making their own software which is not necessarily compatible with normal Android systems. The view being taken was that every new model would get further along the diversity path

Davexf

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:39 pm

I thought that Samsung and LG both used Linux based OS. Samsung with Tizen and LG with WebOS. Neither of which have anything to do with Android.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:43 pm

For me the ideal solution would be to be able to mix apps from diffrerent countries. This is definately not possible on my Samsung TV.
The reason being Bein Sports are starting to offer 4K football streaming meaning I would need to change back to the Spanish apps if I take up the option, which I might do if they offer the European stuff in 4k.

So to extend Sid’s question. Are there any TVs that it’s possible to install UK apps or ideally both?

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:21 pm

I have a Samsung purchased about 18 months ago. I did the following to change the apps I have on the TV.

https://support.unlocator.com/customer/ ... g-smart-tv

no lroblem watching BBC iplayer etc

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:22 pm

My LG has BBC, ITV and Ch4 apps plus YouTube, Netflix, Now, Amazon and Sky. I just changed the address in the setup stages to a UK one and they automatically appeared.